SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

How do you decide on a size for a new patio?

peachymomo
12 years ago

When I was ready to buy my first home I searched long and hard to find something in my price range that had a small house on a large lot. I've been here three years now and I'm happy but very ready to change the landscape. I'm struggling with choosing a size for our patio, I would like it to be nice and large but I'm afraid of making it too big. I was thinking that since our house is small and our backyard is large it would make sense to have a big patio but I don't want it to be overwhelming, and of course the bigger it is the more it will cost.

Our house is 2,210 square feet (27' x 70', + a 16' x 20' addition) and our backyard is about 14,300 (~130' long by 110' wide.) I used hoses to outline the area that 'felt' right to me for the patio and calculated that it would be approximately 1,200 square feet. That would more than double our living space and I think it would be really cool, but I've never designed a landscape before and I'm worried that it won't look good. Although while researching I found a quote saying: 'To err is human, but it is better to do it on the side of too large than too small.' And that made me feel a bit more confidant.

So what do you think, is 1,200 square feet too large? Am I over thinking the whole thing and I should just relax? I really want to have a wonderful backyard that gets used a lot and I think the patio will be the most important part of the design. I want to have a BBQ area and a dining and relaxing area, but I don't think we will have a spa or fire pit or anything like that.

Comments (14)