SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maries1120

Can we talk about Surface Mounted Medicine Cabinets?

maries1120
8 years ago

I am in the planning phase of a partial remodel and so much of what we will do depends on the medicine cabinet. I really wanted to be able to recess mount one or at least partially recess it since that would open up the lighting options BUT I suspect that this isn't going to be possible. I think this is a weight bearing wall and that there is wiring between the studs. Maybe the contractor can do it but I need to plan for it not being an option.

The vanity is 48 inches but we can't use one that big due to placement of a towel ring - and no other option for that. So I am thinking a tri-view or 3 cabinets ganged together to total 40-45". A mirror would be the easy option BUT we desperately need the storage space. So I am exploring surface mount medicine cabinet options...

What brands do you like/not like?

Framed or unframed? IF framed - do you match the light fixture with a metal frame or the vanity with a wood frame.

Afina has framed options and you can get a matching framed light bar with down lights but I don't know if all the fitters on the lights are as ornate as the one on their website. This is the most expensive option but seems like a good brand.

Other non-framed options I found are Centruy, Sofia, Robern or Kohler. I found a few vanity lights that face down that have a 9-10" extension. This is the only light on this side of the room and for makeup so I thought down lights would be better than up but please correct me if that is wrong.

I hope you can offer some suggestions. Thanks.

Comments (7)