SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmc_1112

Neighbor wants to put in a new fence

cmc_1112
8 years ago

We have lived in our house for 11 years. We have never had a fence dividing our backyards between us and our next-door neighbor and it has never been an issue until now. Our neighbor got a puppy several months back and was determined to train it to stay in her backyard. For the first few months, she would put the puppy on a leash to take it out in the backyard to do its business. All was well. Well now it is winter and apparently the novelty of having a dog has worn off. She now just lets her dog run free and of course he runs straight into our backyard to do his business (she cleans up after him). While we aren't hugely concerned, it is annoying. Lately she has been dropping hints right and left about getting a fence put in but she has never come right out and said anything. She even went as far as to jokingly say "I just don't know how I am going to keep my dog from pooping in your yard". I never understood her hesitation about installing a fence as she doesn't need our permission. So finally I just said, "we completely understand if you want to put a fence in, although that is not something we desire, but if you feel the need go ahead and do it". We ended our conversation with her saying, "well, the first step is to get some quotes and then we can go from there". Later after thinking more about it, it occurred to me that she wants us to share the cost of the fence (although she never directly said that). I am annoyed for several reasons. We have no need for a fence and it wouldn't benefit us in any way. In our neighborhood, they are just split-rail fences and offer no privacy. She paid thousands of dollars for this dog and now she is alluding to the fact that she can't afford to put a fence in if we don't go in on it with her. I just feel like as the dog owner, it is her responsibility to keep her pet out her neighbor's yard, not the other way around. And really she is just asking us to pay for a glorified pen for her dog. Am I wrong? I don't want to burn any bridges, but I also feel like she should have thought this through before getting a dog. We have our finances prioritized and haven't budgeted for a fence. I am trying to figure out how to respond when she comes back to us with fence quotes. Any advice?

Comments (21)