SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtygardener73

Amazing Bird Migration

dirtygardener73
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I know this isn't a bird forum, but I thought you might like this. I heard some sandhill cranes calling this morning (I know their call very well), and went outside to see a flock of about 15 circling my apartment. I wondered why they were circling, then I heard more cries from the east, and a huge flock, some in v-formation, came out to join them. The first group headed off to the north, with the second group following behind. I heard more cries from the east and a few confused stragglers who were lagging behind finally turned in the right direction and followed the first two groups. I tried to count, but lost count at 50. It was spectacular!

I love these birds. In North Port, we had a family that visited every year and would walk down the street calling out for people to come feed them. I did feed them sometimes, but you have to stay a good distance away, because those beaks and talons can do some real damage if you scare them,, and these always had a baby or two with them. I miss my North Port birds. I had a white heron and a stork that would come right up to the front porch and beg for food. We have ibises here, but I haven't seen anything else but turkey buzzards and those dratted muscovy ducks.

I feel like the universe sent these cranes just for me, the way they circled my apartment and called out, but I know they are just migrating. I used to occasionally see them in SC, but only on the coast. They are such stately, beautiful birds. I'm sure this group will drop a few off here and there along the way, some of them going home to the coast of SC and some heading further up to NC and beyond. The experience left me teary-eyed and feeling touched by God.

Comments (13)