SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missymoo12

SEPA GW Get-Together Any interest?

missymoo12
8 years ago

After reading through the "Finding like minded Friends" post, maybe a get together is something that might be fun. I am a bit north of Philly but do love the Flower Show and maybe we could do a Meetup there? Philadelphia Flower Show March 5-13 My tentative plans are to be down there overnite March 6-7

You can email me through Houzz if you are interested and we will go from there. I might post this in the regular Decorating forum so more people see it?

Comments (47)

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

If you can pick a date a little later, we'll be in town, Did you see my thread about moving to the Philadelphia area? After the third week in March is the earliest we can do it, but I'd rather keep the gathering in southern Montgomery County and keep within my very limited comfort zone until we know our way around better. Wish we could make the Flower Show!

missymoo12 thanked sushipup1
  • missymoo12
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sushi Great! Lets see how many respond to this and maybe we can do another when you are in town. I did see your thread but don't know much about your specific area. Welcome to SEPA!

• Related Discussions

Any interest in a GW get together in the spring?

Q

Comments (7)
    I started having a GW get together three years ago, and we always have the BEST time. The first year, I had one rose border in the front yard and a TON of roses in pots waiting to be planted. Each year, I have more garden (and more pots, sigh). It doesn't matter what your garden looks like or what you grow ... garden friends are interested in whatever you have. Plan a pot luck social at your house, invite your garden friends (both real and cyber), and enjoy yourself. Connie
    ...See More

GW Get-Together?

Q

Comments (29)
    I'm thrilled that this is generating some excitement. My favorite things in the whole world are meeting new people and throwing parties. With this gathering, I get to indulge in both. Let's aim for the beginning of October. The exact date will depend on when I can schedule the movers -- I'd like to have them do their thing in mid-September. Connie P.S. If you've expressed an interest in coming, please send me an email at the address at the beginning of this thread, so I can try to keep track of everyone. If you're undecided about coming, there's still plenty of time to make up your mind.
    ...See More

Want to have a GW Get-Together?

Q

Comments (1)
    ok...let's bump this on down the list then.
    ...See More

GW get together Chicago July 6-8

Q

Comments (7)
    Darn, that weekend is crazy for me. Not only is Dylan coming, but that Saturday and Sunday is fair registration for the kids. It's Bud and Makayla's first year of entering items at the fair so I'd already promised them I'd help prepare their stuff on Saturday (make sure we have the right containers, the right sizes, etc, the fair is very specific on what is allowed), and then we'll register them on Sunday, along with my canned goods, etc. I don't know what Dylan is going to think about the agricultural fair, LOL, maybe he'll get to see the goats in costume or lawn tractor demolition derby. I remember taking Jessica's boys to the truck pull. They were not amused, LOL. Annie
    ...See More
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Don't think I can make Philly Flower Show this year, but if you feel like a trip across the Delaware this Saturday, I'll be at the Jersey Shore Rose Society booth at the New Jersey Flower and Garden Show in the afternoon! I'm also in Philly from time to time (I'm from there, family is there, and I bleed Temple cherry red and white and Eagles green).

missymoo12 thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • hhireno
    8 years ago

Flower show week isn't very good for me, either. How about something in mid April? Doylestown for lunch and/or museum visit? Or Longwood Gardens when the gardens are in bloom and the weather is nicer?

missymoo12 thanked hhireno
  • dedtired
    8 years ago

I'd enjoy getting together but the Flower Show date isn't good for me. Doylestown would be fun, or center city! I'd prefer April or May.

Diane -- another Temple Owl here!

missymoo12 thanked dedtired
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago

#TempleMade!

missymoo12 thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • missymoo12
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Alrighty then! Lets put this on hold until Spring. I am going to be a little pushed then but I will post this again around the end of March. It would be so good to do something to welcome Sushipup to the area right?

What's to do in Doylestown besides the Mercer Museum. I spent most of my time in Bucks at the Horse Park ;)

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I might be interested-- though I would be traveling from south central PA and I work weekdays. Late Spring or Early Summer open up more possibilities for me.

I am game for Doylestown but also interested in center city, Longwood Gardens or any of the interesting farms, gardens, restaurants, etc..

missymoo12 thanked Funkyart
  • sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

2 of my children are at Temple now!!! Temple Made-Temple PROUD!!!!! we also bleed green & cherry/white., going to be a long road for our Eagles, UGH!!!!!

yup, i am in, just let me know....spring/early summer should be good for me!!

missymoo12 thanked sprtphntc7a
  • maire_cate
    8 years ago

I'd love to join all of you and with a little luck we'll have much nicer weather if we wait a month or two.

Susipup - I'm glad you're not here to experience the awful weather that's forecast - bitter cold and wind gusts up to 40 miles per hour, we could go as low as 2 degrees on Sunday, wind chills of -10.

Missymoo - I'm really looking forward the Flower show this year. It's a great theme this year - 'Explore America' and they're featuring the National Parks. I'll be at the Flower show on Friday for the preview and then I'll go back a second time later in the week.

I see there are several Temple fans here - I'm originally from Pittsburgh and went to Pitt so I guess I bleed Navy Blue and Gold (Pantone 289 and 4515 - their web site actually gives the Pantone #). Luckily I can root for both the Steelers and the Eagles since they're in different conferences and seldom compete..

Hope to see everyone....

Maire

missymoo12 thanked maire_cate
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago

The Morris Arboretum (University of Pennsylvania) is wonderful. I'll put in a plug, the Philadelphia Rose Society has a rose show at the Morris on Sunday, June 5th, show opens at 1 PM. There is also the Temple Arboretum at the Ambler campus.

• jshore
    8 years ago

I'm game for any of the activities mentioned. I agree that it would be a good idea to wait until it warms up a bit.

PS- My son goes to Temple!

missymoo12 thanked jshore
  • MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

So weird to see all of you chattin' up some of my old haunts. I will be down in late May but booked solid, feting my sister and travelling in a pack of 10. Looking forward to seeing Center City after all these years away!

missymoo12 thanked MtnRdRedux
  • sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

jshore, i wonder if our kids know each other., how weird would that be??

missymoo12 thanked sprtphntc7a
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

If you're looking for something not too far from Doylestown, the campus at Temple Ambler (NOT the center city one) has nice, lovely show gardens. That's the Arboretum that Diane mentioned in her post. I used to work there. Not much in the way of nice places to go out to eat there though, IMHO. Ambler maybe has some places, I'm out of touch on that part. I moved a year ago after living in the area 15 years, so sadly I am out of touch now. Morris Arboretum is great all the way around, the neighborhood has a lot going on.

missymoo12 thanked l pinkmountain
  • lkplatow
    8 years ago

I'm in but not for the flower show - I can't deal with those crowds. Still having PTSD from last year when my dh drug me to the auto show at the convention center! Doylestown is good, or the arboretum -- or heck, even a trip to the outlets or IKEA works for me!

missymoo12 thanked lkplatow
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Depending on my schedule, it might be fun to drive down and meet a bunch of GWers in real life...

missymoo12 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

I may be able to come too, depending on when and where :)

We had a GW get together for about 20-25 at my house in 2012. I'm an hour outside Philadelphia. You guys are all welcome again, we could have a cook out and pizza making party :)

It was really fun last time! We did a house tour and everyone brought food and we had champagne :)

missymoo12 thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • jshore
    8 years ago

Sprtphntc, that would be weird, indeed! My son is commuter, though. He lives in Philadelphia, works part time and attends Temple.

missymoo12 thanked jshore
  • Funkyart
    8 years ago

Beagle's that's a very generous offer.. and I think a cookout sounds like a great way to gather and get to know each other. Plus, I'd love to see your outdoor pizza oven and beautiful outdoor space in person!

missymoo12 thanked Funkyart
  • maire_cate
    8 years ago

What a lovely idea. I'll bring Champagne! During our last snowstorm didn't Beagles post the photo of her outdoor pizza oven covered with snow? It resembled a mini Buddhist temple - very Zen.

• hhireno
    8 years ago

You had me at pizza.

missymoo12 thanked hhireno
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Ohhh! I'd love to see Beagles place in RL! What a generous offer!

missymoo12 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • dedtired
    8 years ago

Wow, Beagles, that is so nice and I am always ready to check out someone else's home. ;)

missymoo12 thanked dedtired
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

Well, the offer is definitely there so we can pick a day. We'll provide the pizzas, a warm-and-ready pizza oven, and grill and we can coordinate what everyone else brings.

We can comfortably accommodate at least 20-25 people with the various outside seating we have, and I'm sure I can borrow a card table from the MIL if more people want to come.

So, we can plan it at my house IF you guys want, otherwise I'll try to come to a meeting elsewhere :)

There will be doggies present though, so if anyone is allergic/afraid, that might be the only problem.

Outdoor seating areas:

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

What a beautiful setting! Thank you for the kind invitation. And as far as I'm concerned dogs are an added attraction.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

I agree about the dogs, they add goodness to everything! Yes, this will be wonderful; I am looking forward to meeting new 'old friends'.

missymoo12 thanked sushipup1
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

I can get back in touch w/ the "old" email list from people who came last time too and extend invitations to them as well, one we pick a day. I think there are some people who aren't around GW too much any more who may still like to come. for example, beekeepers wife lives reasonably close and has been to the house before, although I don't see her around here a lot any more :)

This could be very fun :) But, I really don't want to hijack if anyone would rather have it IN Philly instead of an hour outside the city, so if anyone objects that's fine too :) My zip code for planning purposes is 19565. Its an easy highway drive from the city and then very scenic when you get near to my house. We're also about 15 minutes from Vanity Fair outlets which a lot of people enjoy traveling to visit and there is lovely hiking and bicycle riding in our neighborhood (it's a private neighborhood w/ miles and acres of trails) for people who like to be outdoors and explore.

We're pretty free and open right now in may/june for saturday or sunday get-togethers. My DH will be out of town on May 21 and he wants to come to the gathering (your husbands/partners can come too, of course!), so we can't do that weekend. We're also out of town for a week in July (16-23).

• User
    8 years ago

This is wonderful. I am about an hour from Philly, (but likely down the road going to be close as DD and SIL have made it their home). I would love to meet (depending on where /when of course) so please keep me in mind. thank you

Well I guess we were posting at the same moment and I was going to ask about where this might be. It looks like it is close to 2 hours from me so I think I will likely pass but still do include me in the planning. Ya never know.

• missymoo12
    Original Author
    8 years ago

WOW looks like this is morphing into a fun fun plan. Beagles you are so generous to offer up your beautiful house. I was at your last soiree; a GOOD time was had by all!! Can't wait to see the new patio!. I can bring food and wine.

Lets keep this going to see who all might be interested and what dates pan out. I am out for the month of May and early July...

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i would love to go too and especially see beagle's beautiful house! :)

• dedtired
    8 years ago

I vote for Beagle's place. Wow. It is lovely out that way, especially in spring. Thanks, Beagle.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

Well, we'll have a gathering at my place then I guess :)

Anyone want to suggest dates now, or should we wait until March/April to get something planned since people will know their summer schedules better then?

• kellysar87
    8 years ago

I was at your last gathering, and would love to come again and revisit your beautiful home plus see your new outdoor area. It was so fun meeting the other GW people! Thanks for offering to have us again.

• Mags438
    8 years ago

I too was at the last one and we had a blast.! Thanks so much for offering again.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

Bump.

Anyone still interested in a get together?

Any votes for dates?

I'm thinking maybe a Sunday ?

Would people prefer Saturdays?

Possible Sundays:

June 5

June 26

July 10

July 24

July 31

Aug 7

Aug 14

Thoughts?

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

We are here! Move into our new house May 20. Most of those dates are good, except July 24 and 31.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

July would not work for me...maybe the 10th but I'd prefer another month.

• missymoo12
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beagles great! Any of the above dates would work for me. I will let others pick.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

So, August 7 or 14th seem to be agreeable dates for those who have responded so far ?

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

Beagles, thanks so much for the kind offer, so generous of you!!!! August will be tough for me, have to get kids back to college....maybe one of those days will work but not sure now.....

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i think 6/26 would be good for me (us?) and possibly most of the july dates-- i don't know about either of the august dates at this point...

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

Beagles you are so sweet to offer your place for a get together.

At the moment all of those dates work for me. We will have a house warming and a christening to attend out of state - but my brother's new home is still under construction and the baby isn't due until June.

I'd love to get to met my fellow SE PA GWers.

• kellysar
    8 years ago

I think most dates except June 5th would work for me. Will be so much fun seeing/meeting everyone. Thanks for having us!

• K Sissy
    7 years ago

I live in the Cinti OH / NKY area. I wish we could do something like this for GWers here. I would love to meet everybody.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

Just catching up with this. Of the dates listed, I could do any in June or July 10. Perhaps August 14th if I don't have serious jet lag from a flight, which may be likely, but I could try.