SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josh__s

help with beloved ming aralia

josh__s
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I found this forum through online searches for plant help.. looks like a good place to get some info.

I have had this plant for around 8 years now. I bought it at only a few inches and it has slowly grown to around 4ft. Every once in awhile it sheds a few branches. They start by leaves slowly turning yellow, then they fall off. This might happen every few years. I've read this could be part of their natural shedding process.

However recently, 4 very large branches in the mid section of the plant have turned yellow suddenly. This would account for roughly 30% of the plants branches. In terms of changes to it's environment, nothing out of the ordinary has happened. It is currently winter here in Canada and our house may be a few degrees colder than normal, the plant might be experiencing more cold drafts than previous months, but this happens every year without issue. We have not changed location or watering habits. Last time I repotted was years ago and I have not changed soil in a few years nor checked it. I am thinking about doing that now but do not want to disturb it more than necessary. We fertilize it a few times a year.

I love this plant! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Today:

A few days ago:

Comments (34)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Yikes, I don't envy you the job of getting the root/soil ball out of a container shaped like that.

I suspect that the lack of attention to proper repotting is contributing to the problem. Those poor roots! Now is not the time of year to tackle that job, but it will be necessary in the spring. Plants need to have their roots pruned and potting medium changed every year or two.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

Wholesale shedding of large branches is usually associated with death or severe limitations of the roots that primarily serve those branches. The branches of some trees are so dependent on a single root that you can actually remove ALL other branches and ALL other roots, and the closely linked root and branch will remain a living organism. Thuja occidentalis (eastern white cedar) is like that and nature abounds with living examples.

I'm slightly off track, but not far. It's likely that suppressed root function of important roots caused the larger branches to die. One or more of poor soil, root congestion, soil compaction, over-watering, or various combinations of offenders on the short list are the most likely causes of the lost branches and pouty plant.

As Dori said, now isn't an appropriate time to be doing heavy work on trees because their energy levels in Feb, Mar, Apr, are at their nethermost during those months. What would serve the plant best includes making sure the cultural conditions you offer now aren't asking the plant to live at the limits of what it's programmed to tolerate, which means keeping it warm and in bright light, not over-watering, and making sure your nutritional supplementation program is reasonable from the plant's POV, while you predetermine a plan that gets the tree repotted into a soil you can at least water correctly w/o worry the roots will suffer in health and/or function due to prolonged soggy conditions. Repotting is much more extensive than potting up, as it includes removing all or most of the soil and correcting (by removing) those roots that are obvious troublemakers. It's very important to make sure you stay any hand on the watering can that's too exuberant.

If you have interest in chasing these thoughts a bit, I'll offer some things you can read that go into more details about WHY the things I said are in the plants best interest and about HOW to proceed. Then, if you're up for it, formulating and putting the plan in motion would be easy. Forgot to mention - as a matter of course, you should probably plan on flushing the soil thoroughly the next time it needs water.

Al

• Related Discussions

Ming aralia pruning

Q

Comments (11)
    I don't find it as fussy abt being moved as everyone says, I've taken mine out of the house to Plant Society Mtgs & tho' folks are surprised at that, it's been fine. I DO think wkly watering might be a bit much & THAT might be making the leaf/branch drop. These guys want an odd combination of drying out (I let mine go for abt 10 days to 2 wks btwn watering) & humidity, I grow mine on pebble trays. They usually do pretty well for me. That said, I just lost my beloved Balfour Aralia (a type of Polycias, related to this Ming). We recently had a sudden heat wave in NYC, w/ little warning & I let mine get too dry, once I got to watering it, it was a bit too late. (Sorry if this sounds severe) I think you should cut back on frequency of watering & stop fertilizing; don't think these plants need it much & fertilizer is not like medicine, it won't usually help a plant that's ailing. You could cut off those bottom branches & try water rooting them to make a separate plant. Are you sure the housekeeper isn't watering it also trying to 'help' you? It's also possible something is wrong w/ the drainage, OR the mix has gotten too hard & the plant's not drinking. I'd give it a month, stop turning it, stop fussing w/ it (these plants don't like the fussing even tho' you're well intended). If it doesn't improve in a month, I'd consider unpotting it to check the roots.
    ...See More

Fine leaf Japanese maple indoors

Q

Comments (16)
    Your indoor Japanese maple doesn't look good because Japanese maples are not intended to be grown indoors!! They are not sold as houseplants and anyone who told you it could be done is misleading you. Plants that grow naturally outdoors in temperate climates - like Japanese maples - do not thrive in indoor conditions. There is insufficient light availability and the heat and lack of any humidity is often not to their liking. Plus, all these kind of temperate climate plants need a period of dormancy - winter cold temperatures - that are just not available indoors. This dormant period resets their biological clocks each season and not allowing them to go through this natural and very necessary process by keeping them indoors will weaken the plant to the point where it will eventually die. You can repot all you like and improve drainage but it is not going to improve the long term health of the plant. The only solution for this is to plant it outside where it belongs.
    ...See More

30+ year old Ming Aralia- Wilting/dropping leaves

Q

Comments (1)
    You could take it out of the pot and check the roots. If it has been in that pot for many years and there have been no other changes in the plants environment, my first guess would be root rot or root congestion. There are some very experienced container growers on these boards and they usually advise repottings and root prunings at regular intervals, could be every year or every few years, depending on the plant.
    ...See More

Help set me on the right path with my Ming Aralia

Q

Comments (9)
    Karen, my thought is that I don't think the pots are too big for the cuttings. But I suppose I will really find out when I repot. I do have smaller containers available so I will do so if the root mass is small. I am not sure about adding 50% perlite. I assume you mean adding 50% perlite to a bagged mix? I have some tropical plant soil, but I don't think adding the perlite to it would make a substantial difference (according to tapla's container media information). Paul, the frequent watering of the gritty mix could be a challenge for me. I will weigh your suggestion carefully---that is, that the 511 may be a more desirable houseplant media. I don't remember the last time I repotted. I guess it certainly can use a repot even if the plant isn't root bound. I never considered bringing this plant outdoors for the summer. I will consider doing that. I won't be taking cuttings this year. I was talking about the cuttings (pictured above) that I had cut before. I actually found a note I stuck in the pot. It said I repotted those two cuttings February 2017! Hard to believe. That would mean I had taken the cutting in the summer of 2016. I would have used pure perlite to root it, and in February 2017 I planted it into regular tropical soil media. I believe I added extra perlite to the mix (maybe 20%). But as Al (tapla) has said----which I didn't know then---is that would make no difference to the drainage properties of this media. So my plan is to take one cutting, clean off the potting media and plant it into gritty mix. I've just got to try at least one or two plants with this media and see if I like the results and can keep up with the watering. I can make some 511 and repot the other one into that. I know it isn't the best time to repot so I am not sure what the results of the repotting will be.
    ...See More
  • josh__s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, thanks for the comments. What is my best plan of action to save it at this time?

The soil is light and fluffy, does not feel congested.

Should I gently lift the root ball and remove a bit of soil and add some new soil to the bottom and top?

Should I fertilize it at this time?

Remove the yellow branches (will be sad as it's now 50% of the plant!)?

When you say flush the soil... do you mean saturate it completely? Does this not over water it?

I do not know a lot about plants. Any help determining my best plan of action to keep it alive will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

8 years ago

Is your plant actually IN the pot shown, or does that pot have a smaller pot inside it?

Should I gently lift the root ball and remove a bit of soil and add some new soil to the bottom and top? No, not at this time. Your plant will respond better if you wait until later in the year when the plant is at the peak of its food production (plants make their own food [sugar] during photosynthesis). Mid to late Jun would be best for you and the Aralia.

Should I fertilize it at this time? No. It's possible that your issues is related (at least in part) to a high level of salts in the soil. More on that in a sec.

Remove the yellow branches (will be sad as it's now 50% of the plant!)? Let's leave those on the plant for now. You can remove them any time - putting them back on is more difficult. ;-) Often, branches that shed foliage will back-bud and push new growth after the initial impetus is no longer a factor. We'll hope.

When you say flush the soil... do you mean saturate it completely? Does this not over water it? I mean go well beyond the saturation point so you're dissolving and eliminating any accumulation of salts from the soil.

.... my best plan of action to keep it alive .... If I was forced to guess, and considering the fact that Aralia loathes wet feet, my guess is that over-watering is the root issue ..... and that IS a double entendre. I see where you have two choices. You can allow the plant to dry down to a nearly completely dry state between waterings and flush the soil thoroughly the next time it needs water, then we can work from that point; or, you can lift the plant from the pot, inspect the roots for rot, and take the appropriate action, which would be to remove enough soil to ensure you're pruning roots back to viable tissue and repotting into a (likely) smaller pot and appropriate soil. The longer term goal would include planning a full repot in June '16 or '17, depending on how well the plant bounces back.

Your plant might come out of the pot easily if there are severe root problems; or, if the loss of foliage/branches isn't primarily related to poor root health, you might have to be pretty aggressive in getting it out of the pot.

Al

• josh__s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Al, thanks for the advice. The plant is planted direct in that pot (no smaller pot inside). I've had it in there for 3-4 years or so and it has grown quite a bit in that time.

I've been letting it dry the last two days. I just started feeling around in the soil with my hands and it's a bit clumpy toward the bottom, and dry. I gently tried to lift the root ball out and it came out really easily. Based on your suggestions I would say it has root issues?

Now that I've loosened up the root ball... should I remove the bottom soil, add new soil and replant it in there?

How do I tend to these roots? The root ball seems small, maybe the size of a 12" x 12" wide and only 3-4" deep.

Appreciate the help...

Josh

8 years ago

Hi, Josh - rec'd your message. If you're going forward on the assessment the roots are badly rotted and you need to do an emergency repot to save the plant, you should probably make sure you have your ducks in a row before you proceed. That means having the soil ready to go, a couple of pots to choose from - depending on size of the root mass when you're done with the work - and the tools you'll need. You also need to keep roots moist from now until the work is completed. The very important fine roots can be killed by dessication within minutes of exposure to dry air.

Let me say first, if the root system isn't obviously rotted, I'd just prune it back to the edge of the soil mass & stick it in a pot that fits the roots pretty snugly and fill in with soil. Let me know if you have more questions once you decide your course.

Al

• josh__s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Al,

So I read your message late last night and in a panic, I ended up replanting the tree in the same pot unfortunately. I didn't have another smaller pot handy at home and considering I already uprooted the plant earlier in the day, I felt necessary to plant it well again. I tried to replant it in the same soil earlier yesterday after I pulled it up, but I could not do a great job. So last night I quickly pulled up the tree, dumped the old soil, filled the pot with new soil, massaged the roots lightly with my hands to break up some of the soil and replanted.

Not sure if that was the best plan of action but the procedure is now complete. I also did not know what to do with the roots before replanting them so I did what I mentioned above. I hope this wasn't a bad move!

Can you provide some feedback and direction going forward?

Any special considerations now that I have completed this that will help?

Thanks again

Josh

8 years ago

Take pains to keep the soil a little damp, but never wet. That includes never wet deep in the pot. Check soil with a 1/4 or 5/16" wooden dowel sharpened in a pencil sharpener (best) or a bamboo skewer stuck deep into the pot. Don't water until the 'tell' comes out almost but not quite completely dry. If you have a lot of soil uncolonized by roots under the main root mass, you need to consider the moisture level where the roots actually are. If you find the upper part of the soil seems dry and the bottom part of the soil is still wet, put about as much water in a spritzer or contact lens solution squeeze bottle (or equal) and slowly apply that water to moisten the top part of the soil but not add to the saturation level of the lower part. The plant does NOT like wet feet. It would have been better if you would have had at least a 75/25 mixture of peat and potting soil to plant in on short notice, but you can make it work with careful moisture level monitoring.

Good luck.

Al

• josh__s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi,

Resurrecting this thread to provide an update on the plant after the emergency repotting 6 weeks ago. Again, thanks for the help above. Happy to report the plant is alive and growing again!

Prior to the repotting, the plant was yellowing quickly and we lost around 50% of the branches. Here is pic post repotting, half the plant lost:

After we repotted it, we saw some new growth a week later!

Fast forward 6 weeks later and 4 new branches have sparked. That first one in the pic above has matured and now we have 3 more growing at the same time out of each main branch.

It's alive!

There is still a lot of soul underneath the root ball, and lots of space from the plant to the pot edge. I had no idea the root ball would be so small on this plant. Unfortunately, when we did the emergency repotting we did not have another small pot accessible (should of been prepared before I pulled up the plant).

Now going forward, do you think I should re-pot this again in a smaller pot? Or just leave it for now as it seems to be doing ok?

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

Does that pot have drain holes?

• josh__s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yep pot has a drain hole.

For some reason my pics didn't post above, working on that.

8 years ago

Let the fact that aralia thrives in a fast-draining, well-aerated soil, and doesn't tolerate wet feet well (note the size of your plant's root mass when you repotted as validation of that point) guide your decision. It's not an easy task to prevent over-watering when a plant is over-potted. You really need to be on top of the issue while trying to avoid the salt build-up and badly skewed nutrient ratios that accompany the practice of watering in small sips.

Al

6 years ago

nY - While technically it's a hijack, it's still pretty much on topic, and the thread is pretty old, so it's not a serious infraction - a misdemeanor. I'm guilty of a much more serious impingement, much closer to a felony, when I went totally off topic on one of Tiffany's threads about F lyrate becoming the new peace lily and started talking about why time seems to pass faster as we age. I had to throw myself at her feet and beg a pardon, which it seems she was good enough to grant. Whew!

Now, to business. Can you point to the thread where I said a 75/25 mix of peat/potting soil makes a passable soil? If I actually said that, I apologize sincerely. If you followed that advice and lost a plant, I'd be happy to buy you a new plant, because the 75/25 peat/potting soil recommendation would be a misstatement on my part, and I'd be happy to pay a penalty for the inadvertence. Again, I'm very sincere and what I offered isn't meant to be a challenge to anything you said - it's a genuine offer.

We do have to consider the potentiality that you might have misunderstood. I can see myself recommending a 75/25 mix of perlite and potting soil as a last resort type of arrangement, but not the peat/potting soil, other by bungleblunder. I've actually spent at least 12 years at GW then Houzz, offering a profusion of posts that don't speak well of soils comprised of large fractions or entirely of fine particles; and, a (peat-based) potting soil/peat mix of any proportion could be the poster child for that type of soil.

Now, about your tree ..... Aralia requires good moisture control to even maintain viability, so the chances of continued decline probably are more certain that the probability of losing the plant if you repot into a soil that makes it easier to hold rein on moisture levels. However, you have to recognize that root rot, if advanced, will likely take the plant.

Let us know what you find, what you do with your plant, and the end result, as well as whether I'm indebted for the inaccuracy.

Al

• n Y
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Al,

Thanks for your forgiveness on my hijacking this thread. I hope everyone else is as forgiving. And thanks for the offer to replace my tree. I'm hoping to help it live more than anything. It's my first houseplant ever and it's my first love. So I want to really fix my mistakes.

It was this very threads that I saw the "75/25 peat and soil" if you scroll up to Feb. 14.

I am on the hunt right now for the pine/fir find bark. It's been very challenging as most places don't carry or are sold out. If I'm out of luck, would it be alright to use the clay pebbles that is normally for hydroponic? I got a bag of it from ikea.

Here's the root the last time repotted it just before putting it into the 75peat mix. and the whole plant after the potting.

thanks again for your advice.

(edited: Typo "Feb 1" and "4." that was further down this comment now are united to be "Feb. 14.")

6 years ago

You're right, I did say that on Feb 14th. I meant to say The plant does NOT like wet feet. It would have been better if you would
    have had at least a 75/25 mixture of "perlite"/potting soil to plant in
    on short notice, ......
    (That would be 3 parts of perlite to 1 part potting soil) , but I slipped up. I'm very sorry. I try to proofread most of what I write to minimize the potential for mistakes, but either I didn't or I skipped right over it because I was mainly looking for grammar issues. ;-( Most of the time someone catches those glaring errors and asks for a clarification, but this one slipped through.

The clay pebbles won't work well in a solid medium because of the size disparity between the spheres and other soil components. If you send me your address, I'll send you a large USPS Priority Mail box filled with pine bark, 5:1:1, or gritty mix - your choice - on me.

That's a VERY small root mass for the size of the plant, and illustrates the plant hasn't been happy for some time. Undoubtedly, its limited size is related to soil/moisture issues.

Al

• n Y
    6 years ago
    I make a lot of mistakes of my own, grammar and typos, that I do about few edits after submitting. I love the way you write, Al. So informative for those of us who aren't familiar with the horticulturist dictionary, yet not dumbed-down and so eloquent. I've been reading a lot of your writing since finding this thread.
    I really should've asked for clarity before I went ahead with the repotting a month ago.
    Thank you for your kind offer to send me some fine pine/fir bark. I don't think it'll pass customs, sadly. Lumber is Canada's #1 export, -I should be able to find some here. I was advised to go to a grow-op supplier in the suburbs from those who work at a big box chain I visited today. All that was left of the big box store were the large bark mulch.
    OK, if I don't find what I need tonight, I will just make it 3 parts perlite and I part soil. If it's been suffering for as long as you think it did, can't hurt to try a third repotting. One last garden shopping trip to before the repotting tonight. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.
    6 years ago

Very kind words, n Y - thank you very much. I guess I didn't realize you were Canadian. Fingers crossed here, too. Best luck! Let me know if you think there might be anything else I can help you with. I'll try harder to be sure not to set you on a wayward course.

Al

• n Y
    6 years ago
    I couldn't find fine pine bark, after looking at 5 stores but saw ProMix Orchid Mix, read the back and it said fir bark. After tedious sifting and mixing, I was ready to repot.
    Brace yourself. I just wanted to show how bad the root ball got since the last repot, pictures below. I guess I am glad to have had recent experience cleaning 2 calla lily bulbs. It was really gross but not as smelly as rotting calla lily bulbs. The first picture is the root before I cleaned out all the soft rot and sawed off most of the black parts. It was surprising that the more I cleaned the more rot I found. The cleaning took almost 2 hours because I was thorough. Figured I had nothing left to lose with this plant anymore so I slathered rooting hormone gel all over the root. The 5-1-1 mix surprisingly is holding the tree up without any staking! There's a good part of the root that still looks healthy so I'm just going to pray for a miracle now.
    Let this be a lesson to all future readers to take signs of plant despair seriously and act fast.
    I think you're right, Al. The root looked pretty bad even a month ago; thus was suffering for a long time. Hopefully, I will have successful result in 6 weeks like Josh did.
    6 years ago

I've had plants bounce back from worse, so there's always hope. For nY and anyone following this thread - if you're a regular repotter of your plants, you might occasionally run up against root rot issue similar to nY's images. If/when you do, it's a good practice to dust the roots with finely powdered sulfur, sulfur being a strong fungicide, and even press it into any hollows that contain rotting tissue. You don't want it thickly caked in the areas of rot, but an amount that's a little more than a dusting works well. Because I have it on hand, I would treat the roots with a topical fungicide or sulfur powder, then follow up with a topical application of a systemic fungicide to the top of the tree. I'd probably do the follow-up treatment 3 times at 2 wk intervals.

As I look at your plant's roots, nY, I think there's high probability the basal sprout will make it, but an opposite probability the main plant won't; or, the side of the main trunk that is rootless might die back. Hopefully, new roots will sprout from the cambium where it was trimmed back to remove rot. It will be very important to keep that area moist, so I would cut a piece of plastic, like LDPE (Visqueen) so it fits snugly around the trunk, and allow it to rest on the soil. This will keep the top of the soil from drying out and limiting the plant's ability to produce roots from the meristematic (stem) tissues in the cambium.

Some plants have VERY direct connections between individual roots and shoots. IOW, a particular root serves a particular shoot to the point of exclusivity, and if one dies so does the other. Other plants don't have such a strong connection between individual roots/shoots, and some can even reroute water/nutrient/sap flow as a survival mechanism. Never having worked with aralia to any significant degree, I can't say where aralia falls in relation to what I just mentioned, but the ideal case would be that the plant is able to do some rerouting to prevent the rootless side of the main trunk from losing viability. Keep us posted, please. I, and I'm sure a few others, would be interested in whether or not you save it. If effort counts for anything in Mother Nature's court, you certainly deserve the win.

Al

• n Y
    6 years ago
    After reading you reply, Al, I dusted the top of the soil close to the trunk with sulphur powder. I had some plastic sheet to wrap around the trunk and soil, -hope I did it right. During the repot last night, I also strung a couple of shoelaces to help the water wick into the bottom bucket, which is fill with some absorbent materials (peat and coir fibres). Overkill? Maybe. Can't hurt, right?
    A lot of the foliage dropped and broke during the repot, hence the balding look.
    Thanks for holding my hand through all this, Al. couldn't have done it without you.
    6 years ago

You're welcome. It was my pleasure.

You don't want to seal the plastic up tight so CO2 and other potentially harmful gases can't escape from the soil. You just want to have a disc of light plastic you can lightly lay atop the soil so the top layer doesn't dry out too quickly and prevent roots from forming where you removed rotted cambial tissues. If you had any sphagnum moss (not talking about peat moss here),

it would be very helpful if you parked it loosely around that area and kept it moist. Sphagnum moss is inherently anti-fungal and helps to stimulate root formation.

Al

• chippedchinaplate
    6 years ago

NY I hope that beautiful tree makes it! It is gorgeous.

• n Y
    6 years ago
    chippedchinaplate, you and me both. :).
    Al, question about the moisture checking: my moisture meter, works on my other pots fine, read this 5-1-1 mix the tree as in as "dry" but when I insert a bamboo skewer in, bottom half comes out with dirt and the skewer is slightly moist. Will this 5-1-1 throw off the water meter like that?
    I immediately placed long strands sphagnum moss on top of the soil after your suggestion, Al. And loosely places the plastic on top of the moss.
    6 years ago

Moisture meters actually measure electrical continuity, not moisture levels. If you clean the tip of your meter and submerge it in a cup of distilled (deionized) water (in a clean cup), it will read "DRY"; add a pinch of salt and the meter goes all the way over to "WET". Soils with lots of large air pores aren't conducive to electrical continuity, to the readings might be considered to be erratic. It's hard to go wrong if you trust your eyes, and the wooden 'tell' you've used.

...... hoping for a good outcome for you and plant!

Al

• n Y
    6 years ago

The effects on the top of the tree from the root pruning has been very disheartening. I have read a lot related to this on this forum and it's a bit comforting. Still hopeful.
    I'm a bit concerned about this particular woody branch/trunk below, -it's more wrinkly than the others and feels more hollow, like the bark is detached from what's inside. It was the first to lose a branch. Is it dead? Should I saw off the branch? I'm also concerned about this pinched off branch, -didn't stake it in time so it fell and pinched. Should I cut that off?
    On another note, I noticed a long time ago that each of the woody branches have been chopped off, sealed with some kind of black sealer and greener branches grew from each. I first thought it was because who ever cared for it before had a vision or for this tree or used it for propagation but I'm starting to wonder if it was suffering and that's why all the branches have black sealing paint on the cut ends.
    Should I also seal any cut wounds on this tree like what's been done before?

6 years ago

Trees being prepared for life in a pot commonly have their wounds sealed immediately after pruning to prevent tissues from dying back to a significant distance from the actual wound site. Most frequently, I use waterproof wood glue to seal woody pruning cuts larger than drinking straw size; and I'll often seal smaller wounds if they are on a well-developed tree on which the scar would be conspicuous.

I'd say there is no point in allowing the stems you asked after to remain as a part of the plant's structure. There is no downside, and not much of an upside for that matter, if they're removed.

Al

• n Y
    6 years ago

Hi Al,
    I noticed that the bark of this ming aralia was getting very loose at the base of the tree for a while now, -couple of weeks, and some fungus gnats were trying to make a home in the soil. I was curious if it was still green underneath the bark so I pulled back a bit of it which came off easily and more than I wanted. It was black and fuzzy under the bark and then a bunch of clear worm-like (>1cm) squirming out of the bare trunk. I immediately covered with pesticide powder.

The creature is less than a centimetre long; this one is close up of the creature and that just dark soil at the end.
    Removed more bark; more worm-like things squirmed out. I finally hit a green part (left trunk) and stopped.
    Found some rust-coloured bumps/spots on a section of the bark.
    I have resolved that I should just get rid of this plant. Even though it's really sad, I'd like to know what these things are. I googled but there were so many possibilities. Are they harmful to people, pets, or will the affect my other plants and how fast? Are these normal indoor plant problems? What could I have done better since the big "root-canal" to have prevented this?

Many thanks on your guidance, Al.

nY

PS: Interesting observation, during the time I noticed the loosening of the bark, there was a strong almost sweet smell that came from the plant I can smell from a meter away. Definitely different front the mild turmeric-like smell when the plant was healthy.

6 years ago

The worm-like animal is a fungus gnat larvae. You should be able to see a distinct black dot at one of its ends.

I'm guessing the sweet smell resulted from gasses produced during fermentation or decomposition under anaerobic conditions found in saturated soils.

Al

• n Y
    6 years ago
    Thanks Al. I would not have guessed that it's a fungus gnat larvae simply because I thought they would be found in soil and not insides the tree bark. I was researching nematodes of different kinds. now I'm going to educate myself on gnat larvae. Thanks for answering my questions about this and the sweet smell meaning.
  • gardenglove1
    5 years ago

Wondering what became of the aralia?? Did it meet it's demise?? Was it able to be saved?? Allot of wonderful information I've read here in regards to caring for my 10 year old aralia I've been able to propagate into many aralia children to gift away.

• n Y
    5 years ago
    Hi gardenglove1. If you’re asking about my Ming Aralia, sad to report it was a goner long before my last comment here. Since then, I didn’t give up on trying a Ming aralia. Had my practice on a baby plant, 4” pot, 4” tall, and it drooped and withered in my care. In January, I was gifted a 2ft tall in 8” pot and happy to report it’s been a great 6 months with it happy and alive. I think finally got the hang of it. There are a lot of misinformation about watering this plant all over the web and that’s how I found myself having to come here when it was going terribly. I finally got some good information on how to care for a healthy one here... http://www.rhapisgardens.com/ming-aralias/, ...that I hope I don’t have to refer to this thread again, but if I do... I’m more prepared . I would love to know more about how you have cared for your MA and especially how you have propagated it so many, as I hear that’s very hard to accomplish with this specimen. Do you have a blog or article on this plant care and propagation methods?
  • succulentlady_91
    3 years ago

Hi, I love all of the Ming Aralia discussion! So helpful. Has anyone had success in propogating this plant?

• Annika C
    3 years ago

i responded to succulentlady. But what happened to my comment?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus