SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elpietri

Duct design for 600 cfm range hood

elpietri
8 years ago

Which is the "desirable/preferred" duct design for my range hood? Hood is 36", 600 cfm and comes with a rectangular 3.25 x 10 exhaust damper. I need to go straight up 18" to top of cabinet, left 90 degrees, 8 ft. to the outside wall. My two concerns are that I stay as close as possible to the area capacity of the rectangular damper, ~32.5 sq. ft., and at the same time, I can "hide" the duct on top of the cabinet without any fancy carpentry work. I can stay with all rectangular, but would need to install 2 elbows together, which most instruction manuals say not to do. This design would be perfect because I can lay it down flat on top of the cabinet and the 3.25" height of the duct would be totally hidden by the top crown molding. I may be able to transition from rectangular to round, but I don't like two things. One, I don't like having to transition from rectangular to round right off the damper because of potential noise issues, and, two, I think I would need a 7", or 8" size round duct, which may be revealed on top of the cabinet. The 6" round may hide well, but it is a little less than the 32.5 sq. in. of the rectangular duct. 6" is approx. 28 sq. in.

Comments (6)