SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arialvetica

One-wall + island layout -- please review before Feb 10 meeting

arialvetica
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We're meeting with our kitchen designer again Wednesday morning. Would love for some thoughtful critique that I can discuss with my husband before our meeting. We will not change the floor plan of the house, and the kitchen is DEFINITELY going to be this basic layout (one wall + island). Below are pictures of what the designer came up with so far, and also an inspiration picture.

We're two adults who RARELY cook together--usually just one of us at a time, but we split cooking duties. Usually if any cleaning is happening WHILE cooking, it's the same person. We have two children (4 and 1). Open to more children. My 4yo loves to help out, especially with unloading the dishwasher. I hope to teach my kids to cook at a young age.

We eat all of our meals at the dining table (there is no formal dining room). The island seating is mostly for informal entertaining -- I do a lot of playdates with moms sitting around drinking coffee while the kids play in the toy room / living room. (Someday the "toy room" will become a hobby room, mostly for my sewing machine set-up.) It's important that the island seating not be a lunch-counter, but instead allow people to see each other. We don't have homework, but obviously it's coming soon. I'm assuming this will happen at the dining table or kitchen counter. I had thought that the drawers on the outside of the island could be for homework supplies.

I like the sink on the island facing out -- that way I can wash-up while watching tv across the way, or wash-up without turning my back to others. I also like the cooktop against the wall for safety reasons (I repeatedly burnt my hands on my mom's island cooktop as as a child!)

I don't bake a lot (and when I do, I use a hand-mixer, not a stand-mixer). I had hoped the "appliance garage" would be a coffee/tea center for the Keurig.

Appliances:

• 30" slide-in range (no wall ovens)
  • OTR microwave that vents outside
  • standard dishwasher
  • 36" french-door counter-depth fridge
  • garbage pull-out

Black Hills · More Info

Comments (32)