SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Found a deal on a vent, *but*

numbersjunkie
8 years ago

I am doing an IKEA kitchen and always planned on using an over the range microwave since we have one now, and its been OK. But I really hate how it gets so gross underneath and is hard to keep clean. And everyone here seems so dead set against them so I started to think about going a different route. Initially I loved the IKEA Datid hood but the reviews were pretty bad. And then I decided that I didn't like the look of the chimney hoods unless there was space between the hood and the cabinets on each size - and I don't want to make my wall cabinets any narrower.

So I started to look at under cabinet hoods. Today I went shopping to look at appliances and found a Zephr hood that I loved - 400 CFM with baffles, and the floor model is on sale for $250 instead of the $550 regular price. Zephyr AK7100ASBF

Here comes the *but* - The flat top of the hood is designed for 12" deep cabinets and the IKEA cabinets I'm using are 14.75 deep. I guess we could bump the hood out away from the wall but then we would need to put something back there to keep out the dirt/grease. Not sure how we would keep the filler piece clean. And the hood extends out 21" now, so then it would extend out almost 24" which seems like it would get in the way and be a head bumper.

I know I would have the same issue with the filler in the back if I go with an over the range microwave, but they are not as deep so at least that type wont stick out so far. WWYD?

Comments (18)