SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Kind customer service saves the day!

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

There's a Kirkland's store a very short distance from my house. Today while DH was at the gym (near Kirkland's), I looked online and saw that they showed a limited quantity available in that store of a cheval mirror that I'd like to have, and I texted him asking him to stop by the store on his way home to pick it up for me. He stopped, but the online inventory was wrong and they had no cheval mirrors in their store whatsoever. They did, however, identify another store on the north side of a nearby city that did have them and double checked by phone. That store held a mirror with my name on it. We jumped in the car and headed that direction. It's not terribly far distance-wise, but traffic meant a 45-minute drive ONE WAY. Got to the store after maneuvering our way through a bazillion other cars on the road, bought the mirror (which was sealed in a flat-pack box), loaded it up and drove the 45 minutes back home.

I was so excited to get the mirror home and put it together. Upon opening it, I first took out the legs and they looked great. Another wooden cross bar looked great. The glass on the mirror looked great, and I was really getting happy - but then I unwrapped the top, decorative portion of the mirror and saw that the wood was demolished in several places. The frame was destroyed at the top and the mirror flopped around loosely there. Obviously, this thing was not salvageable. I was just sick - and then I got angry. Cheap piece of crap made in China and carelessly packaged! I should've known better.

We most definitely should have opened the box and CHECKED THE PIECE while we were still in the store where we picked it up, or at least in the parking lot before leaving the area. Epic fail on our part for not doing so.

So I called the store where we'd bought it and spoke to the manager, telling her my dilemma. I knew they had more of these mirrors and asked if she could have one sent over to the store nearest me. Nope, can't do that because they have no "system" in place to make such transfers between stores. She said that because the stores are all considered to be "so close together", that they have no way to do this. I told her that I understood, but that this was definitely not a quick little trip for us today.

She then told me that she's not working tomorrow, but is driving to a different Kirkland's store and will bring a new mirror to the store nearest me and drop it off on her way. She said they only had one in the finish I wanted, so she said she'd open the box and check to be sure it's ok and call me back. A few minutes later, she called and said it's fine. She said she would be happy to detour to the store near me tomorrow and drop the mirror off, and has already spoken with the manager of THAT store to advise of this situation, so it's all arranged. I can simply drive up the street, return the damaged item, and pick up the new one.

In this day and age of terrible customer service, this warms my heart so much. I intend to find out the manager's last name and write a letter to the appropriate party up the chain to let them know how she went above and beyond for me. It's not her fault there's no transfer system in place between stores, and making a personal delivery on her own time is not something I would have expected her to offer to do! Doesn't it just restore your faith in humanity (to an extent!) when something like this happens? I've become so used to expecting poor, callous treatment - especially in situations where I am partially to blame for not inspecting the merchandise before accepting it.

People who are willing to go the extra mile (literally) are still out there. And that rocks.

Comments (21)