SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbaldauf6112

Need suggestions for better work zones- going to architect soon!

mbaldauf6112
8 years ago

Hello,

I've posted here before both recently and 6 years ago when we built our last house. I'm so thankful and appreciative for the advice, time and help that so many of you give. How fortunate we/I am to have this community.

We are getting towards the final design plan and our builder is needing some basic kitchen design for getting bids. I can finalize it later but would love help for the basic layout. I've read about work zones and have spent months on here trying to learn and gather information. Tonight, I re-read the Ice-Water-Stone-Fire post (which had me smiling) and my layout doesn't fit that at all. It might work for some of the work zones but has a lot of crossing back and forth from sink to fridge and pantry. I'd like to prevent that if possible.

I'm sorry for the blurry photo and will try to get something better posted but I'm hoping you can get an idea of the space so I can begin.

Stats: family of 4 - DH and I plus 23 and 15 yr old with everyone enjoying cooking. DH and I can cook anything from an 8 course French dinner to some killer ribs. I bake bread and other things about twice a month. We entertain and may have anywhere from 2 - 14 friends over. The kitchen can be the center attraction and gathering place.

This will be a new build so we have a blank slate. We have a moderate budget (not modest but must be conservative as well)

The house will face west (with shade) but has a beautiful water view of the lake across the street. We are in the country on just under an acre of land.

Current plan: sink under the window that faces the lake

dual fuel range (would love 36 inch but ??)

coffee/tea bar with wine fridge under that on pantry wall

island 4x6 (including over hang)

french door fridge

mostly drawers for lower storage

real vent hood

aisles are about 4 feet

Wants and would likes: wall oven and/or 36 inch gas 5 burner range (cost? space?)

prep sink in island

Currently, the kitchen is 12 feet wide by 14 feet long.

Questions:

1. Would the screen porch be better placed if it were off the dining area instead of the living area? We have it for DH and DD who are deathly allergic to wasps. Coming off the living room allows additional space to feel like we have more living/entertainment space but would it be better to come off the dining room?

2. Where to place the microwave?

3. What will be the best place for DW and trash pullout? I prefer a left to right - trash - sink - DW but will it be better to have DW with a dish drawers across from it on the island and the trash to the left of the sink which would place it closer to range and prep space on counters near cooking area?

4. What can be done to improve work flow and traffic pattern of back and forth?

I'm willl add more questions but this is a good start.

The exterior door leads to a side porch or grilling porch and the interior door goes into the office and home school room. The lot is narrow and rectangular with the narrow end facing the lake.

NOTE: THE PIANO IS NOT THIS BIG... it fits very well into the space.

Floor Plans · More Info

I'm open to any suggestions and ideas. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you so much,

Sunny

Comments (16)