SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

One last crack at this...needs to go to Architect tomorrow

cotehele
16 years ago

The architect needs my kitchen plan tomorrow to work on the bid documents. The plan has been through so many changes, it resembles nothing I've posted previously. No surprise, huh?

The kitchen layout is closer to late 19th century rather than 21st century modern. There are three separate spaces: Scullery Kitchen, Cook-Prep Kitchen, and Breakfast Room. The span needs a support beam that will separate the prep & cook kitchen and the breakfast room. A scullery kitchen hides clean up, and food & appliance storage.

The scullery kitchen cabinetry will be simple, basic and good quality. Uppers are shelves. Most will have sliding glass doors. Storage on the wall common to the cook & prep kitchen will be accessible from both sides, and will have a pass-thru when the sliding glass doors on both sides are open. Counters are laminate for now, to be upgraded in future. It is a distance from the new garage; that's OK. When I have anything difficult to unload, I'll park in the old garage (door is next to scullery kitchen). The DR is down the hall by the pass-thru/dish cabinet; returning dirty dishes to the kitchen is convenient.

Pass thru cabinets will be something like this:

Not much to say about the cook & prep kitchen. If the 34'' cabinet will not accept an UC oven, I'll raise the counter height. Peninsula will not have seating. Cabinets will have more style than the scullery kitchen cabinets. Counters will be soapstone if budget allows, otherwise laminate for now.

Breakfast room should have everything to make breakfast, snacks and sack lunches: food, dishes, flatware, and all the drinks we need. This back door will be the primary entrance to the house. Guests and family come through the entry (w/closet and bench), we will come through the garage. The scullery kitchen SHOULD help me keep things neat, attractive and welcoming.

Fingers crossed: what do you think?

Comments (47)

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The newest plan didn't post. There are not any drastic changes, but a little more detail. The prep-cook kitchen is a smidgen larger.

• User
    16 years ago

I think the breakfast area is too small, especially if you are ever considering resale value. Ditching it in favor of seating at an island or peninsula would be more valued for resale and probably more functional. You do not have enough workable landing space next to your cooktop at all. It's a BIG safety hazard. The corner prep sink is really too close to the cooktop to give you any real prep space, and then it's cut off from the cooktop by the cabinets coming down to the counter. Your fridge has no real landing space either. Neither do your ovens. Or pantry.

Doing ANY task in this kitchen will require miles of walking. All in all, you'd be much better functionally served by ditching the skullery kitchen concept and taking those walls down between the two areas and treating them as a single area.

I'm sorry to be so negative over a design that you've obviously worked hard on, but I really think you'd be better served by starting completely over. I'm one of those KD's who actually cooks. A lot. And, this would be one of those kitchens that you would want to tear your hair out walking around in. The functionalilty isn't there. If I have more time today I'll see what I can play around with, but I'm working on 3 really big kitchens right now and just popped in for a minute.

One last thing. Don't let pressure from an architect rush you into any decisions about anything that you are going to regret. It's your remodel, and YOU are going to have to live with it. And, hopefully love it. What you've got pictured isn't really livable or lovable.

• Related Discussions

What's going on? Lots of pics

Q

Comments (28)
    I am in Baltimore County, and I feel your pain on the soil issue! We recently moved here, so we are just starting improving the soil. For now, I'm using a combination of containers, small raised beds, and one or two "in-ground" plants which are actually high planted in mounds on top of the topsoil. All are doing great despite the weather. In the mean time, I'm doing some top-down improvement of the area I will garden in next year. Top-down is key for our clay because digging down more than 4-5 inches only creates a basin of clay filled well drained soil...recipe for a sodden mess. I laid wet newspaper and cardboard over my whole plot, then piled on a few inches of compost and shredded leaves, and finally mulched the whole area heavily with straw and fine composted bark mulch. I did this late last fall and this year we have tons of earthworms and dramatically different soil texture to a depth of 6 inches or more. Even if you do nothing else, just covering that spot with something (burlap, wet cardboard, leaves, whatever) will get the worms there, and they are good at what they do! My husband teases that I have a veggie garden and a "dirt garden" and I work just as hard on both. So true! Good luck and hope you keep us updated on how it's going over there, neighbor.
    ...See More

Cracks in pool

Q

Comments (58)
    quote" I would assume that Maggie's attorneys have told her to stay offline with this situation. "quote Hopefully she retained one for her counsel. Last thing I remember was she was meeting both builders and the pool guys structural engineer. I'd definitely be hiring my own and not depending on his. What you see in this thread, piss poor construction techniques, happens in Texas all the time. I lose pools on price all the time and then get the come fix my mess calls. Thankfully it sounds like her builder is a stand up guy and hopefully he'll have a claim against his insurance carrier. This kind of stuff typically throws a builder around here into closing the doors quickly, but he'll waste no time starting a new pool construction company. You know what's sad??? The 21 yr old girl that cuts my hair has a license and is held accountable for her actions but the guy I just lost a 65k pool on price to is on his 4th company since 2000 and still competes with the good builders I've known for decades under the same name and has never been held accountable for the many many uncompleted and poorly constructed pools he's been on. How can you beat my price by 10k, simply by quoting it a tick above cost, not paying the subs, and by not doing things the proper way. What's even more sad is that the judicial system here protects him more than the pool buyer. See ya, Kelly
    ...See More

Heat Lamps Crack Granite?

Q

Comments (14)
    "Cracks in granite because of some lights? Don't make me laugh....Improper installation is the ONLY CAUSE." Stone Tech: Thanks for proving my point. The lights heat the granite and it expands. There is no design accommodation/proper installation for said expansion, so the granite fails. If you've got another theory as to why all the other same granite, (installed the same but no lights) hasn't failed, I'd love to hear it. Coincidence?
    ...See More

Looking at Granite Tomorrow - What Do I Need to Know?

Q

Comments (8)
    1. Bring any samples of cabinet, flooring, that you plan to use. 2. Bring a camera and a notepad. Make notes about the photos and write down the name and size of the slabs. 3. Bring your kitchen drawings, with dimensions. Most kitchens will need two slabs for the entire countertop Measure the general linear feet of countertop and the size of any island to give the granite yard a better idea of whether you need one or two. 4. Have a general idea about whether you want drama or movement or would prefer a more uniform stone pattern. 5. Ask about cracks or flaws. Stay away from those with big crystals in them, or big mica-like pieces, they shatter like glass when being cut and can be unpleasantly fragile. 5. Don't be afraid to "go outside of the box". You may find something truly inspiring that wasn't your initial thought. I'm convinced my honed granite is the most beautiful thing on the planet, yet I went in thinking I was going to want a polished surface.
    ...See More
  • cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! I thought there would be some concerns, but I did not expect to begin again. This will require more thought. I have an appointment this afternoon. I'll be back this evening.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I would urge you to go back to one of the other plans.

These are the problems I have with this one:

NO room on either side of the cooktop. LWO's point about no landing areas near oven/micro and fridge is a good one, too.

Not enough pantry/food storage space, and difficult to get to from prep/cooking area

Laundry area open to the kitchen...Next to the fridge makes no real functional sense...No room to deal with laundry, dirty or clean.

I separated 2 dishwashers in our last house...One near the kitchen, one near the eating area. It didn't work as I'd imagined. Loading the dishwasher is something like a puzzle and if a 'piece' doesn't fit in one, it gets moved to the other, and swapped with something out of the other dishwasher. They're a long way apart for doing this. What you think should be in one ends up in the other, so you check both. Things end up far away from where they should be put away. Worst, things in the less used dishwasher get forgotten, get smelly and even moldy in a short time. Yuck. I think this might be less of a problem for you with fewer people, but I still recommend against having the 2 dishwashers so far apart.

Your kitchenet is not near anything you'd wanted to use it for.

Oh, wait...I thought you were keeping dishes in the pass-through shelves, but maybe they're in the breakfast area? If so, what is in the pass-through between scullery and where the Napanee unit is?

I know you have something against the idea that you should save yourself steps on the kitchen, but I don't think you'll find this layout pleasant to use. Zones are one thing, but this is very compartmentalized.

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

Oh boy, tomorrow?! And this is quite a change from your previous layouts too.

I like you new entry area, it looks very convenient to place muddy/snowy boots and the like. And having a small "breakfast" area I think is very nice for a quick meal or coffee in the morning. However, I have to say the scullery looks terribly inconvenient and might make you feel like a scullery maid if you work in it being closed off and shunned to a closet.:) Also your Napanee seems removed from the cooking action where you wanted it to be in the center of. Could you move your wall oven to the same wall as the kitchenet?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

You had several prior versions that I thought looked really nice. This looks unpleasant to work in. What happened to the prior versions?

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Y'all are so sweet. Some of my other plans were good, I know. They are just not right for me.

I am not ready to give up on the idea of a scullery. The clean up & pantry flipped to the appliance side of the cook kitchen. Access to the clean up sink and fridge is better. The pocket doors can close off the mess when need be. There is landing space in front of the fridge, now, and beside the oven.

I will do 90% of the prep on the peninsula. I use my current island for that purpose. But, it fills up fast with dirty dishes. I must have someplace out of the way to clear off more workspace. When I put dirty dishes in the sink, it is not available for cleaning veggies, filling pots, etc. The peninsula sink will be used for dumping cooking water, filling pots, cleaning food.

I think the Napanee Kitchenet will work where it is at the end of the peninsula. It holds most of the ingredients for baking. Prep can be on the peninsula or the kitchenet.

The breakfast area is a wide as my MIL's. Theirs is OK, especially for two people. Rhome, good thoughts about a second DW. The hutch stores small plates, mugs, glasses, and silverware that will go in the DW.

The cab by the WD was for laundry in the old plan. Food and small appliance storage was on the outside wall of the scullery.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

• auchmedden
    16 years ago

What happened to the fireplace? And the cabinet to display your dishes?

I guess I am wondering why you want the room all chopped up. What was it about your previous plans that was not working for you? Your refrigerator seems inconveniently placed for prepping. Is the storage in the scullery area for pantry items? If so, once again it seems inconvenient to your prep area. Also, your breakfast table seems to take up a lot of space and only gives you seats for two people.

On a positive note, I do like the new mudroom!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

That scullery kitchen looks like a LOOONG haul with dishes to either the DR or the breakfast table. I'm just not feelin' the love for this version. I much preferred your cozy fireplace versions.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Why? Several reasons:
    -All the old plans had an island. Rather than seeing outside, the view was of a wall.
    -The budget takes a huge hit with cabinetry in the other plans. There is less on public view; the scullery, laundry and storage can be less expensively done.
    -The span needs a support beam, it may as well be somewhat functional in defining a space. Mrslimestone's beam is so beautiful dividing the kitchen and DR.
    -I'd like to achieve a period look rather than a span of cabinets on two walls.
    -The fireplace put us over budget and took too much space. I am sorry to see it go, but need to compromise. The antique dishes will go somewhere else.

Mon2lilenj & auchmedden, I'm glad you like the rear entry!

I had doubts about the functionality of this plan, too. I must 'fess-up' and admit I've been living with a make-shift kitchen plan like this for about a week to be sure it isn't a pain in the neck and everywhere else! (The pain was moving the fridge, cabinets, MW, and small oven by myself.) There is still a wall where the peninsula is that I have to go around to use the induction unit and do dishes. I moved the fridge to the right place behind the wall.

The view from the corner breakfast room is wonderful! It is light in the morning, robins are in the trees and the yard is in full view. Breakfast & tea are made exclusively at the hutch with no running anywhere else. The dirty dishes go into the sink, but they will be cleaned in the hutch DW. I've made bread twice, cookies, casseroles and the usual meals. Everything I need is close at hand or not inconvenient. All the fresh, boxed and canned pantry items and the small appliances are in the corner by the W/D.

Hope all this helps explain why I want changes.

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

Are you living with the first or second plan? I personally like the second plan better. It gives more space for laundry and with the pocket doors open you essentially have a nice working triangle. Also having a window above the sink in the scullery should help keep you from felling like a scullery maid, LOL. To me the peninsula detracts a bit from the period look, but I understand why you want that for the view while prepping.

Ultimately, it's your kitchen and only you know what works and what doesn't with your house and how you live now and in the future (maybe your DS will bring home a DIL someday).

• lyfia
    16 years ago

Here is what I wonder about with the scullery part. Most everytime we get together with friends or family everybody tends to clear their plates and bring it to the clean up area. Are you going to have space for people to actually do that? Also where is your dining in relation to the clean up area? Will people have to walk through the whole kitchen for it?

I do think you can achieve a period look without a line of cabinets by mixing things up too. I also like the idea of a breakfast area. The peninsula is what is really bothering me as it chops things up and doesn't fit as well as an island would with a period look, but I do understand your reason for it.

What is your view out of the scullery? Would it be possible to switch the dinette part with the scullery or just switch the dinette and kitchen work areas so you could have an L with a counter in front of the window to prep and look out? Maybe a small free-standing island?

I like the new mudroom idea with W/D out of view.

• rosie
    16 years ago

Great for you for trying it out. Whatever you do, you have to keep that view for your enjoyment.

• adunate
    16 years ago

This is an interesting thread. Everyone has great suggestions. To cotehele, I want to say one more thing.

We too posted our floor plans and got great suggestions. Many were suggestions for changes, which on paper made sense. But as we examined our lifestyle, cooking habits, and the actual floorspace, we decided to stick with our own, original ideas. We're glad we did.

Your idea of the makeshift kitchen was a good one! We taped out dimensions for everything, and lived with that for a couple weeks. It was very helpful.

Let us know your final plans. It will be fun to see!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our before and after plans

• hollylh
    16 years ago

Did you ever see the magazine Inspired House (RIP)? A couple of years back there was a feature on a great kitchen with a scullery. I will try to find it, although scanning and posting pix is realllly stretching my tech skills...

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Plan 3 is at the end of this post. I cannot have everything I want, so the scullery kitchen is history. The architect suggested a few ways that we are going to explore to conceal the sink and cooking areas. The peninsula is gone, too. Prep is along the back wall. There is always the DR table if I am craving a different view. Having the BB hutch next to the sink eliminates the need for a sink and DW in the hutch. That should save some $$ for better cabinets. I know no counterspace on the left side of the cooktop is a no-no.

Mom2lilenj: The test kitchen is closer to the 2nd plan because the sink cannot be relocated. IÂve never had a window over the sink; it would be nice. This 3rd plan looses the clean up sink window. Oh well, I donÂt know what IÂve missed. As for feeling like a scullery maid, I am always the only on in the kitchen. Is that kind of the same thing? LOL A cozy table should draw more people into the kitchen. DS is not looking for a wife yet, but a GF would be nice!

Lyfia: We seldom entertain, and when we do the ladies are in the kitchen before dinner. Clearing the table is just a natural progression to clean up. Most times we do it together while the guys are someplace else.

The best view is from the dining windows. The windows along the back are toward a main road in town. ItÂs good for keeping up on town activities, but not scenic.

Rosie: Thanks for the encouragement!

Adunate: I would love to see your new kitchen. It looks wonderful on paper. I am glad you are happy with the plan you loved. ÂTo thine own self be true is applicable in kitchen design. We all have different priorities and concepts of an ideal kitchen. Good for you for following your dreams.

Here is the plan. Work flow seems logical: prep-cook-eat-clean.

In context:

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Our experience is just the opposite of Adunate's. I posted our original layout from our KD that looked very nice on paper and seemed to have the elements we wanted...more counterspace and cabinet space + island.

However....

Following the suggestions here, we put it aside and started from scratch...the result was a wonderfully planned kitchen that incorporated so many of the ideas suggested here...sometimes to the annoyance of our KD. Yes, we even mocked up both layouts and the one designed here w/everyone's help was far superior!

I can honestly say that if I had not found this site and asked for layout help, I would not have nearly as nice a kitchen functionally...and it looks just as nice as the original!

I'm not saying you must change to satisfy us, but I am saying that I think you should listen to what everyone is telling you, seriously think about it, mock it up (not just tape, actual boxes, etc. so you get a real feel for it), and then decide. Remember it is your kitchen...so do what's right for you. We just want to be sure you've looked at all your options and have truly considered the pros/cons of them so you can make an informed decision...and it will most likely be the right one for you after all that!

Good luck & I HTH!

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Buehl, This forum's members are awesome, knowledgeable and insightful. If it sounds like I am complaining I am not. I truly appreciate every-one's suggestions. If I was sure of my own design I wouldn't care enough to post for comment. God knows DH would be thrilled had I never found GW!

I am glad you had such a good experience designing your kitchen and that all the recent issues are resolved. I can't wait to see the kitchen you enjoy. I appreciate your help.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

This last one is definitely more open, but where is your primary work space?

Are you going to have a non-stationary island in the middle?

It doesn't appear that you have any significant length of counter run?

OK- looks like you have a few feet between the NK and the sink as I'm assuming the oven is UNDER the counter. But, considering how big your space really is, it just appears to be short on counter space.

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Agreed. It looks like you've completely lost counter space. You've got a large open space in the middle that is seriously under-utilized.

I've lived / worked in kitchens like this. It's a huge pain.

• hollylh
    16 years ago

I agree with the last two posters. Too much open, not enough counter space.

Why can't you have a peninsula?

Have you considered a banquette in the corner? You get more seating with less room. You could have a round, square or rectangular table.

I think you are going to hate having the fridge where it is--no landing space and it is right in the doorway.

If you want a scullery, go for it! It is not a crazy idea.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

From the reading I've done, older kitchens had a table rather than an island or peninsula that was used as a work table as well as an eating place. 'Old House Interiors' (Spring 1997) shows 3 original kitchens that use a table, but no island or peninsula. They all have at least one room separated from the kitchen, which is what I was trying to achieve. My space is not large enough to carry it off well. Yes, there will be a non-stationary island (table). Actually, two tables that can be swapped or combined as the need requires. 99% of the time only two people are home. A small table is just the right size for eating, reading the paper, chatting, and having a cup of tea. I did consider a banquette. DH said no, he doesn't like them. We don't need extra seating, anyway.

This is how it looks in real life:

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Keep in mind, though, that tables are generally not the same height as counters. That's also a lot of back and forth movement.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lower work surface height is a blessing. I am 5'3" and prefer something lower than 36''. The Napanee Kitchenet has a 30'' surface that is a good height for baking. In the mock-up kitchen I am using an antique wood table with a board on top totaling 32'' high. But what works for me does not work for everyone, especially one taller.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

OK,

I figured you had to be planning something in the middle there. I've never had an island, so I'm not promoting one cuz 'that's what I have', but using a table is fine for the work surface part, but where are you going to store your stuff?

I'm looking at the fridge and trying to imagine preparing a meal, where are the bowls, knifes, graters, whatever you're going to use, where are they stored? You have a lot of appliances/sinks taking up what could have been drawer space, and then you will have no drawer/storage space under your table.

If it's just the two of you, why do you need two DW's?

(Hope I don't sound negative, had a crappy weekend, and I'm in a foul mood today)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

There are some islands that combine a table-look with functional storage. Something along those lines would be perfect for your kitchen. Storage on the range side, table-style on the other. Perhaps move your prep sink to the island so you can prep there?

I'll post some pictures of my island where I tried to pull this 'table-style' on one side, functional on the other look off:

Kitchen Side:

Family Room Side:

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just have a minute to check in before leaving again. Will post more later. But...

Sweeby, that is a gorgeous island. It wouldn't look like a chunk in the middle of a period room.

Raehelen, I am sorry that you had a horrible weekend. Hope life improves soon!

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Cot
    Congrats on your remodel! The fun begins -

I've been quietly following - now find myself having difficulty getting my arms around the orientation esp of the home - front/back/side - new garage, old garage - which entry is used/by whom etc ? new door in kit plan is new back entry?

*** pics of exisiting space inter/ext would be helpful

Also, the style/age of the home and how much is existing and what is the extent of the remodel

You mention wanting a "period" look - what period? and what about that period look do you like/want

Not knowing any of that (which will have bearing)I'll throw some thoughts out there -
    -Have you considered relocating the DR & the bedroom (behind scullery in 1st pic) - It seems that potenitally could solve some issues and provide for a better flow

-If Dr were relocated a Butlers pantry would be suited where scullery exists in pic 1 - nice french doors or casement opening hmmmm

- then given you have 15' +/- width - a penninsula may prove more functional for counter/base - in your case I may opt to not have brkfast area if you do penninsula and DR relocated - I would work to get a better layout of the kitchen proper -

**scrolling through (many times!) - esp since you have such a lovely view in the brkfst area - if you put penninsula you are creating an area to look out at while prepping

right now it seems a break from the layout may be in order - as it seems there may be a little "can't see the forest for the trees" quite common occurance in the planning phase - For me I'd rather see an entire project come to a standstill then feel the pressure of timeline - in which lots of decisions are made in short order to sastisfy someone's "hurriedupness" - Design/layout are the most critical things you can do in the remodel - the rest is really fluff -

Have you taken the "Sweeby test"?
    - Does the laundry have to be located there?
    - Does the architect cook on a reg basis & do they have lots of kit remodel experience

Ok - I'll be "quiet" again -

Best of luck

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

First of all, again, thanks for looking, thinking, suggesting, and posting. I have had so many peaks and valleys emotionally. I am ready for it to end. I think I said that last week too :(

I hesitate to post any more layouts with wild changes in the plan. I am at once too flexible on layout and too fearful of making a mistake thus not being happy with the final kitchen. It would be lovely, but totally unrealistic, to do a comprehensive remodel on the house. Changing the use of rooms and moving plumbing and walls is beyond the budget. We tried to make that work last year without success. Jejvtr, IÂll try to answer your questions.

Our house was built in 1892 by a railroad agent. It was a small, simple house originally. Over time it has been moved, the foundation raised 3 ft., the roof raised, and had three rooms and one garage added. We are guilty of some of the largest changes that were made 20 years ago. The house is now about 3,000 sf, 1-1/2 story, 2-3 bedroom, 2-1/2 bath, DR, LR, Office/Den/Eating Nook and kitchen and 2 who-knows-what-rooms. The kitchen was remodeled c.1940. The original c.1920 cabinets were embellished and the ceiling lowered. The other changes were cosmetic. We added an island in 1986 to have some counter space and a DW. Unfortunately now the aisles are so narrow that they are impassable when any cupboard door is open. Nothing works: stove, DW, water. There is one light in the center of the room so all the counters are dark. The floor has 22 year old carpet, yuck ;-P I donÂt know if IÂm more weary of the old kitchen or trying to plan a new one.

I think I am going to bed, and will work on this tomorrow. See yÂall then. Nite-nite :)

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Morning! A good night's sleep and music and I feel ready to tackle this today.

Someone asked recently where inspiration pics are found. Sometimes it is serendipity. ''Show me pics of your kitchen fireplace'' had interesting links. I cannot resist clicking with glee hoping to find something new. One site had to-die-for kitchens. Several got me thinking, dangerous I know! I came up with this:

The cooktop & ovens are on the inside wall. I hope Mary Ellen can figure out how it will be vented. She is a wonderfully talented architect and a fabulous problem solver. (We met in a History of North American Architecture class about 10 years ago.) Sweeby, this has a 'table' island w/sink. I think it keeps a period feel with a modern use. The finishes are a mix of paint and several types of wood that breaks up the long run of cabinets.

When I post a plan, I really like it. But, by the time it is picked apart (good appreciated suggestions, but it's painful), I am thinking...back to the drawing table.

I can post conceptual views; just let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration pics

• hollylh
    16 years ago

Hi there--I found the Inspired House article I mentioned. I think, from all you have said, you would love this kitchen with scullery. The proportions are very similar to your space. It was put into a 1904 house. I am trying to upload more pix but here is the plan of the space:

Imagine it flipped--since you wanted the scullery to the left. One thing that is absolutely crucial to this plan (which will hopefully show up in later pix) is that there is a large pass-through over the sink between the spaces. The other nifty thing that makes it work is that the dish cabs near the DW open from both sides, so you can put away dishes in scullery and access them from kitchen to set the table.

I hope this works. I am new at posting pictures.

I am so impressed by your patience with this whole thing...and I respect your desire to create an old-fashioned space that works for you today. Stick with what you want. It's good you have an architect you like and trust--this is supposed to be largely her job, after all--it's what they're trained for!

more pix later this afternoon when I get a chance.

Holly

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holly, thank you! You must have spent a lot of time finding and posting the plan. Isn't looking through old magazines addictive? We are trying to clean out old stuff, and many of my Old House Journals hit the waste bin minus a few removed articles.

This plan looks very tempting! It is similar in size to the space I have. The windows are even in the same location as our space. I may work on it this afternoon. I MUST get some things done today!

Thanks, again. I am grateful for your respect for historic homes.

• hollylh
    16 years ago

Hi--okay, I managed to upload some more pix--this will give you an even better idea--I even have some of the text but don't know how that will work.

I hope this is useful. Thank you also for indulging me as I teach myself about digital photos (trying to catch up with my kids!!)

Holly

• sweeby
    16 years ago

I like your last plan, and agree that mixing finishes will break up what could be a long cabinet run. (I had the same issue and did the same thing.)

The only reservation I have with the plan is the potential for foot traffic in 'your' space between the prep island and cooktop. I don't know how many people will go from the fridge through that future doorway -- but IMO, that should be YOUR SPACE that is basically OFF LIMITS during meal prep times. I'd be more comfortable if you switched your cleanup and dish-storage area to the bottom wall and made the top aisle your prep and cooking zone.

Again - it's all about the foot traffic. If that's not going to be an issue for you, then that's OK.

I'm curious why you rejected the plan posted 'Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 14:06' ? That plan had the cooking and prep side along the long wall - simply putting the prep sink into a table-style island was all it took to (IMO) make the plan great --

• hollylh
    16 years ago

Hi--about your other plan (that Sweeby is talking about)--I just wanted to mention that we have double ovens in a similar location, and opening them into a main pathway is a real pain. It's one of the things we will be changing when remodel.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holly, ah, pictures! YouÂve obviously mastered that skill. :) The scullery looks pleasant, not maid-like at all. I printed the plan, flipped it over and put it up to a window to reverse the layout. Even with a few changes, our hall door separates the baking counter from the rest of the kitchen. The article about adapting materials to an historic house is food for thought. Not sure about the UC ovens. Is it possible to have the PERFECT plan?

Sweeby, whew, I am glad you like it! There were several reasons for the change. This picture inspired the window/sink wall. I do prep by the stove, which would have meant looking at a wall while prepping. With the flip, I will be looking toward windows as well has having a spacious view. I wanted to keep the beverage center by the DW and sink; doing so eliminated the need for those things in the BB hutch. There is an UC fridge in the BB hutch to keep DH from raiding the large fridge while IÂm cooking. He will likely come in from working outside by the garden storage garage door anyway. That is a straight shot to the BB hutch or a short turn to the main fridge and hall without walking through the prep-cook area. The Mar 25 plan is a little more cramped in the dining area, too. I also like the symmetry on the outside wall.

Sink facing windows and hutch-like cupboard for my BB hutch and pantry.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

-there is landing space for the fridge
    -a slightly larger Laundry
    -eliminated the corner cabinet that is a challenge to access
    -storage cab in upper left corner is accessible without walking around a wall

• raehelen
    16 years ago

OK,

Now I like this one best of all.

And I LOVE your inspiration pics! Bookmarked the craftsman one for myself.

I just a little clarification (I'm going to feel like I know your house)... your stove/cooktop is going to be beside the ovens with no landing space? And your view is 'through the walls' to the front? That part confuses me. Where you have the desk and two chairs- could you make that a counter to put stuff from the stove? You could have a built in desk on one side, drawers on the stove side?

I have some sense of how tired you must feel. I still haven't finished with kitchen #1, and I need to start on kitchen #2 (maybe I'll get my act together and get something posted today). We stopped the demo/rebuild of our master bedroom while we hummed and hawed about the feasibility of an addition. Reality has hit us over the head, and we're starting to finish it off without resolving problems an addition would have solved.

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

Oh, I like those pictures of the scullery! Great look and seems very functional too!

I think I still like the second design with the separate scullery best, where if you open the pocket doors the scullery becomes part of the kitchen. How about instead of a fixed peninsula you go with a drop leaf possum belly table. Like this one:
    {{!gwi}}

or like this without the top:
    {{!gwi}}

here is a freestanding table with storage underneath:
    {{!gwi}}

Don't give up too quickly your dream, it may just work with enough thought. I too have an old house and want it to look that way. I was willing to compromise on some modern conveniences to get the right look. Someone might look at my kitchen and balk at the lack of storage and continuous counterspace in my kitchen, but I believe it's worth it. If there is something you really want, keep it and focus on making it work for how you live.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, raehelen, sorry you are having to deal with so many things at once. I cannot get one kitchen done. You must be overwhelmed with TWO kitchens and a master BR remodel. Just get it done is becoming my mantra, sound familiar?

See if I can be more clear - Two under counter ovens will be side-by-side (another inspiration this morning- from the youngdeb's kitchen, a really nice kitchen). Each side of the cooktop has 15'' of counter space, which should be enough with the island. The better view will be from the prep island looking out the sink and DR windows. There is not a view to the front of the house. Well, the front door is visible down the hall from the kitchen. An advantage of this plan is that some of the pieces can be added later. Such as the upper cabinets over the refrigerator and Napanee Kitchenet, and the desk. I suppose the BB hutch could come later. I could use what I am using now, an LLBean hutch and dorm fridge. One MUST have is a music player/radio, either my laptop or shelf system on the desk. A desk by the cooktop wouldn't be compatible.

Here is a link that might be useful: youngdeb

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Are those your beautiful tables? Weren't you just putting a custom oak island recently? Can I see??

Ha, you are one of the scullery advocates! Sorry to say, I have given up on the scullery. Maybe in my next house.

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

If I may ask, what is it about the scullery that didn't work? And is it something that would be nice, but you don't REALLY want it?

And yes that's me, I did just put in an oak island with marble top. Here it is being used to make pecan pies for DH's birthday.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Keep at it you'll get a design that speaks to you. It won't be perfect, no design is, but it'll be nice. One thing that I did periodically through my design process is to reasses my current kitchen writting down what I like about it and what I don't like about it. I also did A LOT of research looking at 19th century kitchen designs, picking elements that I think would work with our house.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I am glad to see the laundry area separated. I like Hollylh's scullery plan, but with the pass through high like that, it seems it would demand 2 people (workers) to make it work well, which you don't really have, so this is probably better. I think your cleanup area is nicely separate and almost a scullery by virtue of its location.

The one thing in all the recent plans that has worried me is the space on either side of the cooktop. I think 15" is pretty minimal, and with it open like that, I think I'd be knocking things on the floor! Maybe the induction cooktop enables you to use part of it to supplement the counter when necessary.

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

Here is one of the sites I found intresting.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1890 model kitchen

• cotehele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Your girls are sweet. Enjoy every moment you can with them. They look so proud of themselves, rightly so! I remember when DS was that age. What a treat, he loved to help in the kitchen. Now he is in college; I miss not having him around. I love your island. I thought you were putting a sink on the side opposite the trash; maybe don't remember correctly.

It is dangerous to go back and look at old plans or scroll up to the top of this thread. I cannot control my urge to fiddle with layouts. The scullery concept is appealing, still. I just don't have the time to make it work. That said, don't rule out another try, LOL.

Housework is calling me, no screaming at me. DH may be screaming if I don't do something other than kitchen layout. You know, I'll click 'refresh' every time I walk by the computer, ha!

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    16 years ago

hollylh
    just had to say that I know I recently saw the kitchen/scullery that you posted in some other magazine too. Don't remember, but probably something from BH&G. It is the kitchen I was remembering while looking over this post, and then, there it was right in front of me on screen!