SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_ca

Need advice on insulated garage doors

Lindsey_CA
8 years ago

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide information. :-)

We have a three-car garage. Well, there's a 2-car bay with a door, and a single-car bay with a door. The doors are the same builder-grade doors that were installed when the house was built 25 years ago. They are pretty much just like the door in artemis_ma's post from January about putting windows in a builder-grade door.

Anyway, we're tossing around the idea of insulating the doors. I know we can buy a kit at the local hardware store, or even online from Amazon or eBay. But is it better to just buy new insulated garage doors rather than to add insulation to the existing doors?

A vendor selling insulated garage doors was at a "Home and Landscape Expo" here in town a week or so ago, and he claimed that adding the insulating kit will make the door weigh too much for the garage door opener to function, But, when I've looked at insulated garage doors online, they all seem to (without saying it in so many words) indicate that we'd also need to buy a new opener from them.

Can anyone here provide the truth about insulated garage doors?

We're in Sacramento County, California, where it can get hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter, but we don't get snow at our house. (We're about 20 feet above sea level, I think.)

Comments (5)