SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Question about wiring for new ceiling fan

smalloldhouse_gw
8 years ago

I am replacing the ceiling fans in 3 bedrooms; I bought Minka Aire that mount flush to the ceilings (2 are the Concept 2 and the other is a little F510 26" wide one for a very small kid's bedroom.)

I am technically ignorant so I had an electrician come to swap them out. He started with the little fan but there was an issue. The old fans were only wired with one wire coming from the wall switch to the fan itself; the Minkas require 2 wires (black and red?), which would require him to get into our top attic to run the second wire. That's do-able in theory, but pretty difficult because of the space. The electrician suggested buying other fans (with pull chains) or getting a Minka-compatible remote.

I hate lights on ceiling fans, and was planning to cap them in any case. I'm wondering if a simple fix to my dilemma would be to just forgo the wiring for the light? Or does that not really solve my problem?

Apologies if this is a super stupid question; obviously I will do none of this work myself, but I wanted to explore my options before the electrician comes back in a week's time. Thanks for your wisdom!

Comments (4)