SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ealdwood

Crassula Ovata Tricolor Jade leaf drop

ealdwood (10a)
8 years ago

: ( woe woe woe...Looking over my plants this morning before leaving for work and saw some of my tricolor jade leaves have fallen...

• The jade has 4-5 main stems, and one of the stem is shrunken at the top. The remaining small baby leaves still attached to it are reaaally shriveled as well. The leaves that have fallen are in different conditions, the fat older ones look pretty good actually (other than the fact that they fell off), the smaller ones are more shriveled at the ends where they used to be attached to the stem and are flabbier.
  • Other than the stem being shriveled towards the top, it looks very crystally, like it is encrusted with sugar. Nothing comes off when I rub it. If I sniff closely, the plant actually smells sweet, not rotten sweet, but sugary sweet.
  • The bottom stem looked normal and not shrunken, but to be sure I excavated. The dirt was pretty dry, sandy, cool feeling. I dug almost to the bottom and it was pretty cool and dry the whole way. The stem still feels solid there.
  • The roots are not 100%, they are brown, dried, wispy-looking...probably not great?
  • I examined the plant and saw no bugs on the leaves or in the soil.

South facing window, LED grow light about 11 inches away from the top of this jade, pretty cold to normal recently (high of 50F today), there is central heating, the air has been extremely dry. The dryness has been affecting my plants to the point that I have to be careful or they will shrivel/dry out. So I have been watering as needed, about once every week. I don't water them until water comes out of the pot, its more like 1-2 seconds of watering.

I know my soil mix isn't exactly gritty, but I do try to keep it porous. For this jade, it was MG C&S mix 40%, sifted perlite 40%, granite the rest. Teensy bit of napa floordry. I haven't had good results with a completely gritty mix, it seems that I am an under-waterer, so that's why I increase the C&S soil in my mix.

I've read other people's posts about tricolor jades and leaf drop. I don't think any sudden drop in temp did this, i *don't* think it's rotting, no bugs..

So what do you guys think? Over-watered or under-watered? I'm tempted to choose the latter...my other jade plant that has a mix of gollum and ovata leaves has been looking sad too, the gollum leaves in particular.

Even if it is under-watered, would it be a good idea to give it tons of water now to save it?

Thanks everyone, and I appreciate any feedback you can give!

Crystal crust:

Recently putting forth a lot of new growth:

Brown shriveled baby leaf, one fat older one still hanging on, buds..:

Diff angle:

the fallen:

Another depressing pic:

Excavation 1, tiny bud near soil level:

Excavation 2:

Excavation 3:

Comments (14)