SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suburbanmd

Front loader internal heater concern

suburbanmd
8 years ago

While using my Miele Little Giant, I noticed something pointing to an FL internal heater detail which hasn't been discussed here. Namely, the lag between temperature rise in the sump, and temperature rise of the wash load.

My Little Giant is set up for cold water intake on prewash, and prewash duration is the default of around 6 minutes, which adds 8 minutes to run time including drain and spin (That 6 minutes can be increased to 18 minutes via the supervisor menu). Prewash temperature is the default, maybe 35C or 45C (can set it to 35C, 45C or 55C). I tried prewash for the first time, and stayed around to watch it. The door glass soon started to feel warm, thanks to the 5000W heater. When the washer drained after tumbling, the water coming out of the hose was warm. But when it started to spin, cold water came out of the hose. So the water in the sump and splashing around in the drum was warm, but the clothes were still saturated with cold water.

This is an extreme example since the Little Giant can heat so fast, and the prewash was so short. But in FL's in general, heat is transferred from the sump to the tumbling load through "standing water" at the bottom of the drum, and that interface is pretty shallow in some consumer FL's. And a big load (think big capacity FL) has a lot of surface area to lose heat. Now, the manufacturers may be well aware of this issue, and perhaps they heat the sump higher than the desired wash temperature. In any event, LG users should consider that the push-two-buttons temperature display most likely shows the sump temperature, not the temperature of the load.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County