SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bassamtabbara

Lowering Wolf Pro Wall Hood

bassamtabbara
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

We have a 48" Wolf Range with 4 burners, charbroiler and griddle (link), 27" deep and 48" wide Pro Wall Hood (link), and 1200 CFM internal blower. The hood exhausts out of the wall its mounted on -- roughly a 2' run and a 90deg elbow out. The hood is mounted 39.5" above the cooktop. No makeup air damper. A few pictures attached.

We have two complaints about this setup 1) its does not effectively trap smoke and grease (the alarm goes off a lot, and you can smell the smoke everywhere) and 2) its loud.

I'm considering lowering the hood about 6" to about 33.5". I chose 6" because I can use the 24" height hood cover instead of the 18" hood cover that is on right now. I'm trying to avoid custom hood cover work.

I'm hoping that the 6" will improve containment and maybe reduce the noise a bit due to a slightly longer run. I'm willing to live with the noise, but we can not live with the smoke everywhere. I'm handy and could do the lowering myself.

I'd like to get your opinion on a few items:

1) Will lowering it 6" make a substantial difference? Or should get a custom hood cover (and live with a seam) by lowering it to 30" height? I'm OK with the clearance at that height.

2) Are there other things that I can do that are more effective?

Any thoughts/guidance would be most appreciated.

Comments (13)