Low Carb
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (77)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Need low sodium/low carb diet for dog with seizures please ?
Comments (19)"his dog treats (which is chicken jerky/dehydrated chicken breasts) are all loaded with sodium" Tammy, I lost two dogs to kidney failure within about a year of each other and I highly suspect the jerky treats I was giving them was a big part of it. I discovered later they were very high in salt. I switched to other pet treats but (and this might sound a bit gross) I always licked them to make sure they didn't taste salty. Well it was just hard to get good quality treats without salt. So I decided to try and make my own, and I bought a food dehydrator. The only thing that goes into my dogs' treats is lean meat, no flavoring, no salt, nothing so I don't need to worry about it anymore. It's actually pretty easy. I get the butcher to slice up meat nice and thin then I cut it into smaller strips and put it into the multilevel dehydrator, switch it on until they are done. I keep a bag in the fridge (not even sure if it's necessary) and put other bags into the freezer to take out when the fridge bag runs out. My dogs love them, no added flavors or salt needed....See MoreLow Carb Bread?
Comments (15)I am on a low carb and gluten intolerant. I use this and it works out good and you don't need all those extra expensive ingredients. It makes a brown bread not a white one. I triple the recipe to make 8 buns or a loaf of bread. 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flax seed meal 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder (opt) 1/2 tsp salt 3/4 teaspoon baking powder drop or 2 of stevia. ( I use about 1/2 teaspoon of powdered splenda in mine) 3 eggs 1 1/2 tablespoons water 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil Mix all ingredients together. I let side for 5 min for the flax seed to soak up some of the liquid. Pour the batter into greased muffin top pans for hamburger buns filling 3/4 of the way up or into bread pan. Bake 325 15-20 minutes. I usually bake the buns because I put them in individual zip lock bags and freeze. I just pull one out of the freezer when I need one. PS If there is a Chinese grocery store near you, they carry a lot of different kinds of alternate flours. PSS Ground up pork rinds makes a good binder in meat loafs and if you add parm cheese and seasoning salt it makes a good breading for chicken....See MoreLooking for low carb rice substitute
Comments (24)Yikes, I've been too busy to participate in my own thread! I made another batch of cauliflower rice. No tumeric, less garlic and salt, for a more neutral taste. Roasted it but did not dehydrate. Then I used it in a stir-fry and it was not bad. Again, not really like rice - more like quinoa. But cauliflower is about 4% carb while quinoa is about 21% carb. I'm going to try the way of cooking rice to increase the non digestible starch content. Also, DD made these pancakes today. They were great. They were also low (nearly zero) carb. 1 egg, 1 oz cream cheese, blender, then cook like a standard pancake!...See MoreWhat is your favorite low carb snack that isn't cold?
Comments (28)Thank you to everyone for responding. In my head I think I'm a food trailblazer - I love different cuisines, I rarely eat processed food, I try to eat plant-based. What is also true is that I am a picky eater. Sugar substitutes taste like chemicals to me, I dislike the texture of most reheated food, if I eat just a little too much cheese my stomach revolts. Crunch is extremely satisfying to me which is why I really miss my cold vegetables from the fridge. None of this is important really, it just helps to put the thoughts down in words. I will try to expand my snack horizons - broths, canned fish, crunchy chips made from cheese or vegetables, maybe a simple bean and balsamic salad that I can eat at room temperature. Thank-you!...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN10 Tips for Planning a Galley Kitchen
Follow these guidelines to make your galley kitchen layout work better for you
Full Story
KITCHEN CABINETSChoosing New Cabinets? Here’s What to Know Before You Shop
Get the scoop on kitchen and bathroom cabinet materials and construction methods to understand your options
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESGet the Scoop on Finding the Best Paint for Your Money
Scoring the best deal on paint for your home may have nothing to do with advertised specials
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: How Are You Handling the Record-Breaking Cold?
Share your tales, strategies and photos for everything polar vortex
Full Story
MOST POPULAR7 Ways to Design Your Kitchen to Help You Lose Weight
In his new book, Slim by Design, eating-behavior expert Brian Wansink shows us how to get our kitchens working better
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Great for the Chefs, Friendly to the Family
With a large island, a butler’s pantry, wine storage and more, this New York kitchen appeals to everyone in the house
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
KITCHEN CABINETSLearn the Lingo of Kitchen Cabinet Door Styles
Understand door types, materials and cabinet face construction to make the right choice when you shop
Full Story
HEALTHY HOME12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story


User