SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Covered porch location

mrspete
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'd like thoughts on the spot to attach a covered porch.

First, here's our plan -- we're making a couple changes, but pretty much it's going to be what you see here ... exterior of garage will change, but that's not important for this discussion:

The only changes we need to discuss are in the utility room, which we're going to expand by taking in the garage storage and widening the room to about 9' wide. Something like this:

That's a small office space to the right with a desk /worktop for our office needs (we're close to retiring and neither of us works at home), crafts, and folding laundry ... across from that, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves ... office storage on the bookshelves... pull-out Elfa baskets under the desk to hold a bit of laundry.

Then a bench with shoe storage underneath and coat hooks above ... which can also be a set-down spot for groceries as they're sorted into the pantry. The stairs remain, but they're just for attic space -- we aren't "doing" the bonus room up above.

I'm happy with this layout for what we're calling "the Back Hall".

Now for the discussion question: We currently have a 30x12ish covered porch off the back of our house, and we love it. We love being able to step out no matter what the weather; love that the dog has a large, comfortable dry spot; and my husband grills frequently -- retirement goals include starting a grilling club and possibly competitive BBQing. I didn't draw it in, but we'd have a modest outdoor kitchen /just a straight run of outdoor cabinetry for the grills ... probably on the left of the porch so a person at the grill would face towards the back yard and open patio ... and this would be a good place from which to serve food, regardless of whether we were eating under the porch or on the open patio.

We'd been thinking of putting the covered porch off the Great Room, which is typical ... but I'm wondering about placing it over to the side, off the Back Hall. I'm thinking it'd look something like this ... but with a slightly more simple roofline ... imagine the door with the wreath is the Great Room door:

- Prevents the problem of a shady Great Room -- the back of the house will face South. We'll still have a patio out there and will keep the sliding doors in the Great Room.

- In good weather, guests would exit the house through the Great Room and could walk a few steps to the covered patio. In bad weather, guests could exit through the Back Hall; it's a working area -- won't be as nice as the Great Room -- but we do intend to make it nice with pretty colors and nice curtains.

- I think I like the idea of walking in from the garage and seeing the glass back door straight ahead. Nice sight line, you know.

- The two of us will have good access for grilling, and we'll still have a spot where we can step out in bad weather without exposing ourselves to the elements.

- I love the size of our current porch ... but since the garage is 24' wide, it may be more like 24x15 ish. We're in the South, so outdoor entertaining is important; we've had Thanksgiving on the porch more than once, and one year we even had our extended family Christmas out there, but -- admittedly -- that was an unusual year.

The bottom line question: We absolutely want a covered porch. Would you attach it off the Back Hall ... or would you stick to the more conventional Great Room connection?

Comments (14)