SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16535275

SO bummed...color problems

User
8 years ago

So I THOUGHT I had decided on a color for our master...

I've asked about color ideas before...

Going for a silvery blue...enough gray that it does not feel like a nursery but has enough blue in it to still read blue. I THOUGHT I had decided on Beacon Gray (BM). Painted on posterboard it looked PERFECT as I carried it around the room. Painted it on the wall today and it's awful!!! How can that happen!?!?!

My first thought when I put it on the wall was "oh my lavender"...

The lighter color on top is Lily White. The darker color on bottom is Beacon Gray. I think Lily White MIGHT be an option, though I'm worried that it'll end up too "electric" in the morning. That's what happened with my BM Creme Brûlée in the greatroom, but only in the mornings...

Don't know which direction to go now to get rid of that purple undertone. :(

Comments (55)

• heatheron40
    8 years ago

Angie,

The yellow would work, but I fear it may go to far. I usually add samples of the opposite color or a another color, it goes slower but I do not often overshoot my goal. For example I wanted a periwinkle blue for the kitchen, when I put it on in my space it too read too violet. I added a quart of robins egg blue slowly until I came to where I wanted it.

Just an idea!

• graywings123
    8 years ago

My Ben Moore store will not add colorant to something they have mixed unless they made a mistake in the first place - maybe your store will. For the future, when considering colors, try googling the color and see what others say about it. There was a discussion on Beacon Gray here about a year ago where the purple undertone is mentioned:

Discussion on Beacon Gray

• Related Discussions

The problem with Coral Trees in So Cal

Q

Comments (8)
    The Coral tree shouldn't get all the blame here... It looks like it was getting lawn irrigation which encourages fast weak growth, the multiple trunks are a known case of creating a weaker crotch subject to wind damage, and aan overly large growing weak woods tree species was planted in a location not really appropriate for the size and nature of the tree. I'd second the plug for E. x bidwillii, but in my experience here in the SF Bay Area it is more a shrub than a tree. I also find species such as E. coraloides slower growing and less dangerous specimens which I've used locally. I also find the idea of European white birch trees inappropriate for most California conditions; almost always subject to constant aphid and borer infestations and looking rather pathetic unless very well watered. I had a few things come crashing down here in my garden with our northern California version of Santa Ana winds here, but it was just smaller light weight limbs from tree dahlias and Iochromas. Not heavy enough to do any damage in the garden, but still a surprise to have to clean up afterwards. I'm glad our local Diablo winds aren't particularly fearsome, as we'd have a lot more downed trees here if they were.
    ...See More

so funny, so true: first world problems

Q

Comments (20)
    So funny. DH and I were both so annoyed the other night because the TV remote seemed to be dying. I was able to step back and laugh at the situation pretty quickly. DH, a little less so! The sad thing is that it took us a while to figure out how to turn off the TV without a remote! A couple of years ago when we were having our beach cottage renovated, we were regularly p.o.'ed at the delays but we were both able to laugh and say, "yeah, poor us, it's going to take an extra few weeks to custom rebuild our beach house!" The sad thing is, there are so many people out there who can't step back and put it in perspective.
    ...See More

Computer problems so won't be

Q

Comments (2)
    Check the connection on the monitor. Unplug it and plug it back in a few times. Could just be a bad connection. Also do the same with the power cord. Is it going into power saving mode by chance? Or is your screen saver just set to a blank screen?
    ...See More

So I've been thinking about my no vent problem...

Q

Comments (32)
    My DD informed me this morning that a long stretch of counter at the back of the kitchen would look "weird" and just get covered with stuff, THE NERVE! It's like she knows me or something. It's weirder to have a long, useful counter cut in two by a vertical element. Show her the NKBA guidelines--a budding kitchen designer is never too young to learn. ;) Guideline #3 (In part): A major appliance and its surrounding landing/work area form a work center. The distances between the three primary work centers (cooking surface, clean-up/prep primary sink, and refrigeration storage) form a work triangle. Guideline #4: A full-height, full-depth, tall obstacle should not separate two primary work centers. (Examples of a full-height obstacle are a tall oven cabinet, tall pantry cabinet, or refrigerator) If the oven cabinet is directly adjacent to the fridge, it becomes part of that work center--you move items from the fridge to the counter beside the ovens, then have a clear field to the cooktop. That long counter would be useful for staging baking trays for making cookies, lining up and landing multiple dishes going to/from the ovens for large holiday meals, and assembling school and work lunches.
    ...See More
  • jpmom
    8 years ago

how many gallons did you buy?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What is the light in your room? Take a look at BM Nimbus Gray.

• User
    8 years ago

I think it's still too blue. You may want to go with a gray that has simple tints of blue in it. Like SW Krypton it looks gray on the card, but blue on the walls.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all the great replies!!! I did forget to mention that our room faces east-ish.

Our lights are canned lighting. I'm not sure which kind of bulb, I want to say it's halogen? I could be way off. It's awfully yellow. I hate yellow lightbulbs. I just was looking at Home Depot today for something different but I can't decide between 2700 and 3000 LED bulbs, and I'm also afraid of them being too bright as I have 3000k 650lumen LED's in our greatroom and they are seriously too bright when at full blast. Thank God for dimmers. I do like that they are not yellow light.

Our original wall color is SW Swiss Coffee. It's the builder's included color. Our trim is also that color but in a glossier finish. It only took painting one room to figure out that the same wall-trim color is what was making our house seem so blah. I never realized the power of paint!!!

Our trim will stay Swiss Coffee if that influences the choices. Hubby refuses to paint that since he thinks white is white is white. *eyeroll*

The adjoining master bath is Valspar Belle Grove Aloe Green. THAT is too much color too, but it was one of the first rooms I painted and I made the mistake of buying it off the chip and not sampling it first. I think I would have been happy with the next lightest color on that chip...I don't necessarily want to worry about getting it to exactly flow because I've had thoughts of repainting it one day when hubby is out of town. Since it's green, I wonder if I should err on the side of it being slightly green, not purple.

This Beacon Gray is in the grays of BM's line. It's just gray with too much blue, I think, at least for me. The Beacon Gray is also just too much COLOR for me. I've been dreaming of a silvery blue...light kind of like the top one in my pic, although that one is a bit too light. I never win.

Our BM retailer is an Ace Hardware. They will not add color to a can...I've tried that before with another sample when we were testing yellows for the greatroom. They are also not very helpful with advice for colors, which is why I turn here so often. I still feel like I failed at paint choices. Once I get all the rooms done I will post pics and you guys can tell me where I went wrong with colors...lol.

For the record, I've googled and pinterested the hell out of all the colors I've considered... I have pin after pin of pale gray-blue paint.

I'm still considering the lighter of the two....Lily White. It has that silvery blue look, but at times I think it's SLIGHTLY too blue and worry that it will turn "electric" during the bright times of the day.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, and I'm only out the samples...

So it's not like I'm out a lot of money or anything, it was just a huge letdown to think that this was IT! and then it's not. :( Good thing I tried it on the walls!!!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's crazy to me how soft and not beaming bright the Lily White looks in these pics...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/ARroLKh036-TgYERAxQ9XemexeO85duHnXQotTKeksb5a5cIXXNbiRg/

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Silvery blues are so hard! I tried a bunch of them and different brands for my east having bedroom. I ended up with Glidden's Silver Cloud and am quite happy with it. Maybe give that one a try?

• User
    8 years ago

I would stop buying the paint from Ace Hardware, if they are not helpful and wont alter your paint.

• Michael
    8 years ago

I would stop buying the paint from Ace Hardware, if they are not helpful and wont alter your paint.

If your ACE isn't the place, there are other ACE stores that provide excellent paint choices and superb customer service and advice. Retail stores don't offer color advice because they are not interior designers and ONLY you can choose what works best in your house.

In all my years of repaints, I never approved or disapproved of a customer's choice. You know why.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Get sample cans of a few colors you want to try, paint a swatch on all four walls, and look at them throughout the day to see how they change with the light.

Also, paint the swatch so that they are right up to trim, furniture, etc., rather than competing with the old wall color. Then, put your thumbs together and do that frame thing, like Hollywood directors, close one eye, and look through the "frame" at the color, blocking out any old wall color but including trim, furniture, etc. That will give you a much better idea oft he color.

If your room faces "east-isn", that means a lot of light in the morning. Nighttime is also artificial light, in which colors with a bit more saturation work better.

Look at BM Silver Gray. That is your Lily White underneath the swatch of the Silver Gray. Next to the Silver Gray, you can see all the lavender in the Lily White, which is why you're seeing it on the wall.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Roseabbey, I happen to love the finish that the BM paint achieves on our walls. Our whole house is painted in it except the first two rooms we ever did (which I hate the look of and desperately want to repaint but there are other priorities) and the two rooms that still need painted. We aren't switching now...and Ace is the only place to buy BM near here.

Brushworks Spectacular Finishes, I've never looked for approval from the counter paint guys. BUT if I ask, I really like this color but want it to be a bit more gray, they can't even point me in the right direction as far as which direction in the chips to go.

Tibbrix, I LOVE the look of Nimbus Gray (in pics) but that's too intense of a color I'm thinking. Would like to keep to the lighter tones, similar to Lily White. I made a list of interesting colors last night and Silver Gray is already on it! ...

My list includes all those lightest colors in and around Lily White. Cascade White (can't tell if that's MORE purple...can't tell which tones that direction in the cards picks up), then Lily White that I tried already (too purpley), then Silver Cloud, then Seattle Gray, then Gray Sky.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, and although I'd rather err green than purple, I don't want it to BE green. Many suggested blues look so green to me. :( That's another struggle I have. :)

• mark_rachel
    8 years ago

Look at BM Gray Owl. I've learned not to look at colors online when making my final choices. They always look MUCH different in person.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Another thing to look for is, when you're in the store looking at the chips, notice that BM colors are arranged so that you can tell where they are on the spectrum. In other words, whites, for example, will be place so the ones with more pink in them run toward red; purples, blues, etc. That is another way to get an idea as to what any undertone might look like. So if you prefer to err on the side of green, look at the whites that move into the greens, although you're never going to get your light blue/silver gray that way!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

Also, if you find a shade that you really like but think it is just too strong or deep, it can often be mixed at 1/2 or 3/4 strength. I have done this particularly in small rooms which seem to intensify any color.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I wish you could mix samples at 50 or 75%. I think that's why I haven't done that. :)

Tibbrix, even that Silver Gray you just put together in the post with Lily White starts having some green in it. Maybe my perception of color is all off. Or maybe it's me worried there is green in it and so I think I see it???

I do love how BM arranges the cards in a spectrum, although sometimes it makes weird jumps and I can't really figure out which way the colors are headed. For example...Beacon Gray and Lily White are on the 2128 card. The 2127 card is really gray, although I'm sure those colors have some undertone too, but I can't figure out what undertones. Go the other way and the 2129-2131 seem to lean towards the green. Then you get 2132-2134 which have a purplish tone again.

Apparently I stink at color choices. LOL!!! I should have hired a color person from the get go. Are they expensive to hire?

• Michael
    8 years ago

Are they expensive? No.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

The color of my two bathrooms might work for you - I don't recall the name but I'll try to remember to look tonight.

• lisa_mocha
    8 years ago

I have Beacon Gray...it's definitely blue!

I know how you feel about finding that elusive silvery blue...not easy!

BM Bunny Gray is pretty...a little more gray than the Beacon gray, but perhaps still too blue for you.

I have BM Horizon in a powder room...reads as soft, pale blue gray, but perhaps can have a greenish hue (to my eye...I'm no expert though:))

Also love BM Marilyn's Dress...but again, might still be too much of a lavender undertone. It was used in a local Club Monaco store. It was gorgeous in there!! Mind you, completely different lighting in store. A little too feminine perhaps, but it was just so pretty. I commented on the color and someone told me that's the color that was used...

• Michael
    8 years ago

Silvery blue? Look at SW swatch #281, or Silver Mist SW7621

Or Olympic Shades of Evening. I just repainted a bathroom with Shades of Evening. The owner sees silver blue, I see blue. lol

• lascatx
    8 years ago

If you really liked the color you started with, I'd paint a larger area and do two or three coats. Sample paint doesn't cover the same as wall color and it's impossible to see the grey without it being influenced by the yellow with a small swatch. Smae goes for the lighting -- you are adding yellow to the color, and if you are going to change them, I'd do that now and then work to get your color right when the lighting is right. Go down a wattage equivalent or install a dimmer, but get the lighting right.

I would not work with any paint store that won't adjusst the colorant. The machines, swatches and samples are only so accurate. But my ACE stopped selling BM paints altogether. There are two stores that are further but still in the area -- but they are horrible at customer service -- even being open sometimes. I gave up on them and went to SW for my last project. I miss BM, but I am very happy with this paint too.

• blumster4734
    8 years ago

Try sherwin williams big chill

• PRO
    shay_fox
    8 years ago

@lukkiirish Great work. I like your wall colour.. <3

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My new samples...

Two coats each, next to some trim...though it's a hallway from our master to our master bath so it's awkward to take photos of...

ONE of these colors is going to be IT! I vow to not buy any more samples...one of these was the Lily White samples from above, so really I only bought 4 more.

I feel like I already know which one Tibbrix is going to vote for...LOL!

These are early morning with the sun directly in the window...hence some shadows.

Here's the same colors but in the mid-afternoon when there is still lots of light but it's not directly into the window.

• amykath
    8 years ago

I like Silver Cloud as it seems more muted and looks to me the nicest in both types of light that you posted. Which do you like?

It is always hard to judge when you are not the one in the room. So many things can alter what is reality. The photo might show a different hue than what you see, and everyone's monitors also muddle the true color as you see yourself when standing in the room.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Silver Cloud is really nice, but it appears to be the least blue. Gray Sky and Cascade White may be the most blue, and you said you wanted silvery blue.

Do you have other elements chosen for the room? Fabrics for bedding, draperies or upholstery? Rug and flooring? Furniture? Look at the paint colors with those as well as next to the white.

• eastautumn
    8 years ago

I also like Silver Cloud best in both light situations. On my monitor the others look lavender or too grey (not silvery blue). But as lascatx notes, it also depends a lot on the other fixed elements in your space, and of course what it looks and feels like to you in person.

It takes me forever to choose paint colors, so I feel your pain. We FINALLY painted our living room yesterday after over a year (I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately) with paint samples all over the walls. On the up side, I'm really happy with the color so I guess the waiting and considering (and reconsidering) every little thing paid off ;) It drives my husband crazy though. I've painted and hated colors in the past (and had to repaint), so I've gotten better at considering everything that goes into making a paint color work in a given space.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• cawaps
    8 years ago

I like the Seattle Gray. But it's really hard to compare even between the pics takes at the same time of day, because the whites don't look the same between the pics, especially in the seconds set. The white trim looks much warmer in the pic with the 3 samples than in the one with two, so I know the swatches aren't really comparable between the two pics, either.

• PRO
    shay_fox
    8 years ago

right @cawaps i also like the seattle gray. The white trim looks warmer in the pic.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's between Silver Cloud and Gray Sky.

The Silver Cloud stays bluer longer into the day.

The Gray Sky has a smudge of green in it. I don't see the green on the wall but it is enough to keep it from being too baby blue. It does gray out earlier in the day.

Our bedding is silver. Our furniture is dark brown. Like I said in the original post, our carpet is a medium gray. All the dark furniture and carpet makes me want to keep the walls light and fresh. There are coral accents in there too. Beachy feel without screaming beach.

Like I said our curtains are really heavy looking and almost the exact color of the carpet. Need to change those out too....one day when I find a good sale because right now hubby wants to keep the curtains. Don't know what I want to change them to.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Silver cloud is bluer than these pics. Think it doesn't look it because it's toward the top and can't get good light on it to render the color better.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's a better photo of the set of three colors, much more like I see it in the room. Seattle Gray is too gray or too muddy or something.

Silver Cloud

Seattle Gray

Gray Sky

from top to bottom.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

from that picture on my screen, i like the middle and bottom colors best- the top one looks too baby/pastel blue for me... but, all 3 look different from the other pics...

bottom line is you can see the colors most accurately and with your bedding and carpet, etc... buy the one you think you like the best, paint a whole wall and see what you think! sometimes trying to make a decision based on subtle differences in shades of color can drive one mad!!

• mark_rachel
    8 years ago

Silver Cloud looks nice, but I think they will all give you the same look overall. On my computer they all read baby blue. Don't forget that you can always get a color adjusted down if you like the color, but it's too dark for you.

• PRO
    shay_fox
    8 years ago

@right mark_rachel all look like the same.

• Elizabeth Z
    8 years ago

Have you checked out BM Stonington Gray? It's a nice gray with blue undertones.

• lizzierobin
    8 years ago

I just wanted to mention that I painted my living room/dining room with a pale blue paint that looked like lavender. I was hesitant, but painted the room anyway and it looks like a pale blue, no one ever thinks lavender. Also, I do like the silver cloud, based on how it looks on my monitor. . However, I actually think that any of the three blues you last posted would look really nice. Please post pics when you're done.

• User
    8 years ago

Paint samples should be placed at eye level for comparison. The lighting toward the ceiling is different from the lighting at the floor. This is why it's a good idea to paint poster boards and move them around the room, rather than painting samples on fixed spots on the wall.

If this were me, I would not be happy with any of these choices based on what I see on my monitor. But we all have different monitors.

In addition, I'd find a new paint store if the current one isn't willing to work with you. Shame on your Ace Hardware.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lisa, painting it on posterboard first doesn't work for me. Something about my walls...

I did that with the first color I thought was IT...from my very first post...and it looked great on posterboard when I took it all around the room. Then I tried it on the walls just to be sure, and that's when the lavender popped out of it. It didn't look at all lavender on the posterboard. Makes me glad I did that. And why I didn't bother to do that with these colors.

The Silver Cloud is not that far above eye level, and I was told to make sure it's by the trim...so that's where it had to go.

And unfortunately ACE is the only place that sells BM. Well, I take that back...there is another hardware store that sells it around here, but they won't alter the color either. Something about the computer/system they use to put the paint in the benjamin moore cans... and now that our house is almost done being painted inside (all but 2 rooms) and most of it is BM...that's what I'm sticking with. The 2 rooms that are not BM are going to be repainted as soon as the rooms that have not been painted at all are done. My hubby doesn't know that yet...but they are. Especially the half bath on the main level...which may get done sooner rather than later because repairs needed to be made in there, which required removing all of the fixtures and replacing them...because the plumber wasn't careful, drywall repairs had to be made, so now there are repaired splotches around the sink that need painted but I'm not sure we have the left overs of the can from when we painted it before. I'm sure I'll have a whole new thread of what color to paint THAT room after I get this master bedroom color decided. Not really... LOL.

• Kristin Elias
    2 years ago

I know this post is old but I am choosing between the exact same colors for my bedroom- gray sky, silver cloud, and Seattle gray! How did gray sky turn out??

• Yvonne Barcewski
    2 years ago

I just decided on Lillly White in my bedroom. Love it! Looks white in the full daylight but is the exact shade of very silvery light blue in the late afternoon, night and early morning that I want when I'm more likely to be in the room. West facing. This is after painting an entire wall and part of another that gets different light but same room. Does not read lavender to me at least not in the light in that room. I did not want gray. It's on its way out and I'm lighting up that room. I'm having the ceiling painted that color too. Cathedral. I know it will be slightly darker due to less light up there but I'm trying to bring the ceiling down just a bit from its lofty height. I also prefer the more seamless look. Going with really white trim.

• HU-150484164
    2 years ago

Would you mind posting a pic of your lily white room. I am thinking of using it in my master as well.

• Yvonne Barcewski
    2 years ago

I don't think it will come through right from a photo from my older Android. But in direct strong light it looks white. In evening and early morning very light blue, which is when I'm in my bedroom the most. I have 2 windows that face West.

• Yvonne Barcewski
    2 years ago

I'm in the process of redoing the master bed and bath. So it's pretty torn up right now. Taking a lot longer then I thought due to Covide disruptions on certain materials and labor scheduling. I started the painting myself to get things going. Brother has a painting company but when your getting a deal, they fit ypu in between better paying jobs. Leaving all the high stuff for him.

• HU-150484164
    2 years ago

Good luck and thank you.

• Yvonne Barcewski
    2 years ago

HU -150484264 Get a pint and put it on the wall. A pint goes a long way even to do 2 coats in the test section. Then look at in all the different light conditions consideringthe time of day that you are in that room the most and you will know if it is right.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH