SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Should I leave this kitchen alone?

rockybird
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I know I've posted about my kitchen before so I hope you all arent tire of me yet. :)

I'm getting close to starting a master bedroom/bath addition. The ctr. included bumping the island and appliances forward and building a scullery behind the appliances in his estimate. But the scullery would have 36" wide aisles which seems too narrow. I am also not sure I want to diminsh the openess of the home. Also, if I build cabinets behind the appliances it will almost be the same amt. of storage. I am leaning towards just leaving the whole plan as is as I cant come up with any better idea. I dont want to turn the island. The laundry room will be redone with the w/d stacked and a counter/sink going in.

The negatives are that there is not a lot of storage and the island is in front of the sink. With the addition, the house will be almost 5000 sq. feet. Is this kitchen suitable for a home that large?

Do you all think I should just leave it alone?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Open space behind island:

Open space behind island:

This view shows the kitchen:

Comments (30)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I'm definitely not tired of seeing your beautiful space. But I don't have any brilliant thoughts. All my ideas for increased storage would interfere with the looks of the space. And it's such a great looking space that I'm hesitant to even suggest that.

rockybird thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • somersetlass
    8 years ago

I would leave the kitchen as is. Why spend money to get the same or very similar storage but lose aisle width in the main kitchen. And form a new room that has narrower than ideal aisles. This is especially true in a kitchen like yours which works because of the feeling of space. And you've got a laundry room so no problems there, it's not like you are trying to create that.

To me rather than looking like 'wow, a scullery' it's going to look a bit uncomfortable and squeezed in, like you had to make do with the house as was and utilise the spaces and rooms in it. There are,I'm agree much better things to spend on!

your kitchen is gorgeous. Just showed two of my older teenage girls and they both want kitchens like that now when they move out!

• Related Discussions

Should I dig it up & pot it, or leave it alone?

Q

Comments (4)
    I'd probably lean towards finding a new spot for it -- but with highs in the 90s, it's not the best time to be moving it. Figs in the ground generally don't need fertilizer, expecially N or any application after late spring, but you might giving that a try. You might want to dig up a few roots to see if they appear normal or whether they have nodules, in which case it might be infected with nematodes (see this thread). Nematodes might explain its poor performance. If infested you might want to stick to potted figs (you'd need to buy a new plant, and use a commercial potting mix, and don't set the pot directly on the soil where the nematodes could migrate up.)
    ...See More

Should I leave big leaves alone??

Q

Comments (3)
    I just saw your posting on my thread about yellow leaves. Glad to hear you pinched back some of your plants. Don't worry, they will be fine! It is the right thing to do. For Valentines day, my husband and children brought me to a nursery, I bought two established mother geraniums, brought them home, and cut off all the new growth, 11 pieces off each plant. All that was left was a fairly woody stalk, and a couple leaves on both plants, to which, my enthusastic 4 year old yanked off! My husband was horrified, having no idea with what I wanted them for. He is thinking "Gee, I did good getting those plants for her" and then he walks into the room to see that I have hacked them to pieces! I potted all the cuttings, and then left the mother plants alone. I now have the results, 22 baby Pelargoniums growing and thriving, and 2 mother Pelargoniums sporting their own new leaves! It really is incredible!
    ...See More

Should I leave my Lamb's Ear alone over the winter?

Q

Comments (6)
    I just leave mine alone because I do very little garden clean up in the fall. In the spring, you can rake the dead leaves away. You might have to cut some areas but you'll see new growth coming up. That should be your goal. Get the old leaves cleaned up before raking will do much damage to the new growth.
    ...See More

Shriveled Plant...should I toss or leave alone?

Q

Comments (3)
    Remember rooting and coming out of dormancy are not the same. If your plant has already rooted, then when it shows claws it is ready to drink and get fertilizer. If it has not rooted, watering is a danger (grasp the stem and lift smoothly. If the stem pulls out of the soil it did not root, whereas if it holds against the pull, it is rooted). Usually if you plant a cutting that has flowers, the flowering process slows or stops the root growth. This is why most people remove the inflo during rooting unless it comes late with leaves growing first or at the same time. Also, sometimes the first claws blacken and the ones that follow are fine. I pick off any black claws or leaves, but never give up on a cutting until it rots to the ground. Bill
    ...See More
  • Debbie B.
    8 years ago

i agree! Your kitchen is lovely and unique! You can use that money in your master suite remodel, or on another project. It's clear from your (beautiful) photographs that you can seat a lot of people in that big space behind the island if you are entertaining a large group; you also have that nice outdoor space. The only thing I can think of is if you are the kind of cook on a regular basis that would truly make use of a "chef's kitchen," you might want some more space, but even in that case, I don't think the "scullery" would be your best alternative. I think your kitchen is awesome! :-)

• practigal
    8 years ago

I would not touch that kitchen. Its proportions and finishes were very carefully thought out. I would consider taking from the laundry room to add more storage.

• scone911
    8 years ago

Wow. Don't do any major changes! Maybe some floating shelves on the window wall, on either side of the sink. Maybe paint the drywall in one of the whites from the Benjamin Moore Color Stories series-- that would really bring these spaces to life.

rockybird thanked scone911
  • User
    8 years ago

If money isn't a big thing, I can totally see moving the island and oven wall forward 3 feet to make room for a scullery behind. The area in front of the island seems a bit empty to me, but your look lends itself to minimalist so that goes with the look and would be fine to my eye either way. While 42 inches would be a bit better, I can see 36 inches in the scullery. If it is meant just for storage and an extra sink and DW or something. But, not if you expect it to be a thoroughfare.

Personally, I would love that set up. (but, know I am a bit biased as a house we were planning to build had a similar scullery.)

rockybird thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

I wouldn't make any changes either. If you were to push the island forward, it is closer to the foyer/entrance area, or in the foyer/entrance area. Redoing the laundry and stacking the w/d will allow you to add cabinets in the laundry room. Is the closed storage on wall behind ovens maximized? If not, spend the money adding adjustable shelves to increase storage. Need more storage? Add a tall cabinet or armoire (furniture, not fixed) to the wall at the end of table/chairs. Or hang clocks on wall to the right of sink and add cabinets or open shelves left of sink.

rockybird thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

i can't recall ever seeing a scullery in a MCM home, not in one of the hundred+ I have toured, worked in, gone to estate sales in, the homes of friends and family, etc. I would avoid trendy additions that don't match the original designers intentions. It wont look or feel right and I can't imagine in not hurting resale value.

rockybird thanked User
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you guys! I remeasured and there is acutually 43 inches available for aisle space if I did a scullery. But I am just worried it wont look right. When you are sitting at the island, you would almost be at the glass insert for the door. The architect who worked with the original architect came up with the plan below. I think he has neutral feelings about. He thinks it would be useful, but he also thinks it looks good as is.:

Here is what is behind the builtins:

I can move the bikes and put a shallow counter and cabs here. You can barely see the entrance to the laundry room on the right. The only thing is that the cabs will be visible. Would that bother anyone? The architect suggsted floating them to mirror the kitchen cabs.

I also like the idea of putting shelves on the kitchen wall. I will be enlarging the window over the sink and dropping it to the counter to serve as a backsplash.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I'd leave it as is.

Looks like the bikes get daily use. Panel and hang one/more on the wall there?

rockybird thanked nosoccermom
  • heatheron40
    8 years ago

I would not really touch anything major. Have you thought about insetting cabinets between the studs where the bikes are? have no idea if it is really doable, but then the cabinets would only stick out 4 inches. If they were slab white they would blend into the wall. Lots of storage for minimal impact on space. I'd skip the sink.

The other thing I would consider, as others have said, is add floating shelves to the sink wall. I'll bet the GC would be able to add the shelves first, then do addition, gives you some time to live with shelves and evaluate if you need the stud cabinets. :^).

Heather

rockybird thanked heatheron40
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

I get what others are saying, but I think that in a 5,000 sq ft home this Kitchen is tiny. Part of the issue with storage is that you have floating cabinets - while that may be a "thing" in MCM homes, it does cause problems.

How much/often do you cook?

I am of the opinion that homes should reflect the needs of the people living in it NOW, not years ago. Our ancestors would laugh at us and roll their eyes about all this "don't change this or that b/c it's not in keeping with how people lived years ago" attitude - THEY built it to fit how they lived THEN - they would expect US to do the same!

If you cook a lot, then you need to do something about the issues...maybe an architect (not a contractor) can help you find the best way to "keep the feeling" but still get the function - but don't count on the architect to design a functional kitchen b/c most cannot. But an architect might be able to help you with the overall features - and then a KD (or people here) can help you design a functional kitchen.

If you don't cook much, then by all means, leave it alone - and why are you worried about where the sink is, etc.?

rockybird thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

Oh, and I agree, there seems to be a lot of wasted space behind the island leading to the table space, but perhaps that's what you want?

If you could deepen the island by adding 12" or 15" deep cabinets under the overhang, it would gain you quite a bit of storage space. [Unless, that's what you have already...I can't tell from the types of pics you've posted.]

Then, if the island is one level (as it is now), an additional 15" for the seating overhang; if the seated side is raised to 42" (bar-height), then a minimum of 12" for the seating overhang.

That would keep your MCM feel but still gain quite a bit of storage.

rockybird thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

Scullery - the problem with the scullery is the location of it. It will put dish storage far from your dining spaces - which is the opposite of what is generally preferred.

rockybird thanked Buehl
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone!

nosoccermom- thanks! I will move the bikes to another room. I really like your suggestions to hang the bikes...I think I will do that in the new bike room!

Heratherton-Yes, I think insetting the cabs. is a good idea. It will almost give the same storage as the walk through scullery. I think white is a great idea, or walnut. I need to think about it some more, but I think that is the most economic soln.

Thank you so much buehl!!! I really dont cook, to be honest. For me, I think the kitchen works as is. What I hate is that any mess or items left out are visible from just about anywhere in the house. That was part of the reason I came up with the idea of the walk through scullery. The designs above were made by an architect. :) I think he is ambivalent which route I choose. I think you are right in that a deeper island would be better, but it is too late. That is probably something I should have done earlier on. :( I also agree that the kitchen is too small for this size house.

Veda- Thank you! I did change the kitchen and open it up. It was extremely dark and closed off with a dropped ceiling originally. That being said, all I really did was remove a wall of cabinets, cut back the low ceiling, and widen the island (by quite a bit). But I think you are right that it should stay as is. I did certainly preserve most of the architect's intent, I think.

So, I think I am leaning towards leaving it as, but building some cabinets where the bikes are. But I am still open to ideas!

• heatheron40
    8 years ago

Hey Rockyb!

I think either white slab (really wall color) or matching walnut will work. It really depends on the site lines. If you really can't see it well, blend with a non glossy slab door to match wall (wall appears white on my monitor). If you can see them easily I would use walnut. And if still in doubt, hang a piece of something (drywall, plywood...) with wall color on one side and the walnut color on the other and literally flip and flop until you come to your conclusion. I understand about letting the house answer your questions, I have an 1850ish farmhouse. I use painters tape and recycled drywall to layout everything and contemplate. I do feel like I am a caretaker, not an owner.

Goodluck with your decision! Heather

rockybird thanked heatheron40
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

If this is an architecturally significant house then I'd say leave it, especially since you're not much of a cook. BTW: It's gorgeous.

rockybird thanked cpartist
  • User
    8 years ago

Didn't realize the closet was non-existent! I agree about the bikes, they belong elsewhere or hanging... preferably elsewhere.

If you really need storage, floor to ceiling shelves (with floor to ceiling doors? Flush/nothing between them) in the area between studs. Or you could have a piece(s) custom made that you can take with you/use elsewhere. I wouldn't repeat floating cabinet in this area since there is a looong floating cabinet nearby. Consistency is one thing, but too much can be, well, too much. Look forward to hearing what you decide.

rockybird thanked User
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I swoon every time I see pictures of your house. Especially that amazing cantilevered row of cabinets.

I like the idea of hanging the bikes elsewhere and doing the recessed storage units as suggested. That should make a great pantry and help with your clutter. It also looks like you have a large laundry room with potential storage. Bulk food purchases, trays and serving pieces and other items only used once in awhile, etc., could go there. It's a short walk away and accessible. So possibly also improving storage there can help. Some types of bulk food purchases won't do well long-term in a laundry room due to moisture so you would probably want to limit bulk purchases to canned items and other types of things well packed to protect from the moisture.

Is it really too late to add to the island? If the cabinet maker who did your kitchen is still around, you could discuss making the island a bit deeper with him to allow for storage there. However, matching stains might be a challenge.

I think the proportions of your kitchen are perfect so it's something worth exploring, imho, but moving carefully with mock-ups before proceeding to ensure it doesn't throw the balance of your kitchen off would be a good idea.

Re kitchen messes....I appreciate the concept of a hidden scullery to hide them. However, unless I'm entertaining and using more dishes than the normal daily dishes, most of my kitchen mess is created during prep/cook. So my current routine is to plop things into the DW immediately after finishing with it so my kitchen doesn't get too horribly messy during that phase. I'm a clean-as-I-prep/cook type of cook.

But even more important, I think some of us fuss too much about kitchen "messes". "Messes" are a couple of dirty dishes on the counter. The kitchen is a work room. Even if you don't cook a lot, it' still a work room. If I'm visiting someone and I can tell they just ate lunch and a few dirty items are out, not yet cleaned up from lunch, and maybe a few other items out like a bottle of sauce or some chopped veggies not yet disposed of and/or a bag of bread, I don't consider that a mess. That's just part of a work room being used. It's a part of living. A mess (no quotation marks) is when it looks like breakfast, lunch, last night's dinner, and lots of other clutter has been piling up unattended. Unless someone has been sick or some other valid reason for this pile-up mess to have occurred, then that's when I get a bit "ewwwww!" Especially if the counter looks like it hasn't been wiped down in-between multiple meals/snacks.

Your home is so amazingly gorgeous. If the type of mess you're bothered about is really a "mess", don't worry about it. If it's a mess, do a bit better job of immediate clean-up.

I just know that if I was in your home, I would be visually drinking in your lovely yard, windows, furnishings, wide-open feeling of the space, those lovely kitchen cabinets, etc., and I wouldn't even notice a couple of glasses and a plate or two.

Hope any of this helps a bit.

rockybird thanked funkycamper
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts! Thank you so much for your compliments on the house!!!

Heatheron40-Maybe you are right-I should make the cabinets walnut to match the kitchen? Would it look weird to add a counter?

Funkycamper-Thank you! I clean the kitchen spotless every night before I go to bed and in the AM before going to work...but I hate having the nespresso machine sitting out. I guess I could move it to the laundry room though, when I finish it? Sometimes I stack the mail on the end of the counter too.

I need to think about the island...it is currently pretty big at 54" wide. There is storage on the seating side.

Re the bikes-I have a back room near a back gate that I want to drop a slider into. I thought that would be a perfect place for the bikes. I added the gate specifically so I could take the bikes through.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Would it be closer and more convenient to put the Nespresso in the new cabinets where you currently store the bikes? Just a thought.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and maybe you will get more ideas

• rockybird
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks funkycamper! I thought about putting it there but was worried about sink access..but I think maybe you are right. The sink wont be far in the laundry plus I'm planning to make the laundry a pocket door. I'm thinking about seeing if I can have it slide all the way back to expose the laundry room counter to the new cabinets/counter in the back. Does that make sense?

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I'm not sure I understand as it looks like you have HVAC on the other wall there. But you have done such beautiful things in that house, I'm sure your vision for that will look great.

As for Nespresso placement, I don't have one so I don't know how they work but maybe this will help give you some ideas. We are big coffee/tea drinkers and I didn't want all that clutter in my kitchen. I have a small kitchen and already have enough countertop clutter. My laundry room is large and also has my pantry cabinets. It's right next to my kitchen, like where your hall is. Of course, your laundry room is just another couple of steps so either would be similar distance as I walk from my kitchen to laundry/pantry. Anyway.....

I have a stretch of counter and some cabinet space in that laundry/pantry room devoted to coffee/tea items, some snack making like the hot-air popcorn popper, and my Blendtec blender for smoothies, sorbets, etc. We make our coffee in a French press and I have a electric kettle to heat up the water. It holds enough for two pots of coffee or one pot plus tea water. So, once a day or so I take the kettle into the kitchen to fill with water at the sink and then the rest can be done in the laundry room. I take the blender jar into the kitchen to add water. It's only a few extra steps and worth every step to keep that clutter out of my kitchen.

I'm guessing you could do something similar to that, right? Maybe have a pitcher you fill with water to refill the Nespresso so you only have to go to the sink for water once in awhile and not every time you make one?

I do plan on someday having a sink in the laundry room to make this a little more convenient but, really, those few extra step aren't a big deal to me so no hurry on putting in the sink.

Another option that might work well for you is to put a roll-out shelf on one of the shelves in the tall cabinet to the left of your fridge. So you could roll a shelf out with the Nespresso on it and then after you are done using it and it is no longer steaming, roll the shelf back into the cabinet.

Sorry to write to so long about something so trivial. My concise/edit function seems to be off-kilter this morning. :)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks funky camper! I very much appreciate your thoughts. I think you are right - I can mimic your setup. The nespresso machine is small. I redrew the way I envision the laundry room with w/d stacked for longer counter. Will hide hvac behind sliding doors. The area next to the hvac is a large deep closet. I wanted to make the pocket door open to expose the whole walkway. I wish I could make the door open all the way to expose the entire laundry counter to the hallway so it would be more continuous with the entry hallway cabinets.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I think the laundry set-up looks good. I'm unclear if you are keeping the pocket door or not. I would keep it just in case you are entertaining and the laundry is a mess at the moment. Hey, it happens, right? :)

• crcollins1_gw
    8 years ago

I think this is my favorite kitchen ever. I love all the open space, the surrounding areas that I can see, the outdoor space (swoon). I'm glad you seem to have changed your mind about pushing the island back.

rockybird thanked crcollins1_gw
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funkycamper-Sorry for the confusion! I have a regular door that I want to change out to a pocket door. A pocket door will give me more room in the laundry room. I was hoping to find a way so the pocket door would recess way back into the wall so that the end of the laundry room counter could be exposed to the hallway. I definitely NEED a door. The laundry room is such a mess right now, I cant even take pics of it to show you. :)

Thank you crcollins1_gw!!! That means a lot!!!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Oh, OK, that makes sense. I'm not an expert in pocket doors but I'm sure you can find something to do that. In my 1949 MCM ranch, which is not near as cool as your MCM, I have a 48" wide pocket door original to the house. It works well and slides easily. They must still sell hardware to do something like that today.

I'm with crcollins. I don't spend much time at the Decorating forum but when I do, I always look for your posts. Your home is one of my favorite homes EVER! While mine has a few similar elements, it's not anywhere near the same caliber.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funkycamper - That is good to know about the large pocket door!

Thank you so much for the compliments on the house! It makes it feel like all the hassle of dealing with terrible contractors has been worth it. I really feel privileged to live in this house!

I am meeting with an int. dec. today! I am so excited!