SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janet_la

Should I dig it up & pot it, or leave it alone?

janet_la
18 years ago

I don't know much about figs, but I do know that it's not growing. This is a Celeste fig that I bought in May, 2004, and it has not grown at all. I bought my Dad one at the same time (from the same place), and his grew a couple of feet the first year (they've since moved, so I don't know the current size). It looks healthy, but just won't grow. When I bought it, it had quite a few figs on it, but last year it made less than 5. I don't know if it's just not happy where it is or what! It gets plenty of sun. For the first couple of years, it may not have gotten as much water as it needed, but it is now. I was having to haul jugs of water, but now it's accessble by hose, which makes the watering much easier! I'm trying to water deeply 2 or 3 times a week. We are having record high temps for April (in the mid 90s) and haven't had rainfall in recent (or distant) memory. We are officially in a drought. The last couple of summers have been drought conditions too, although we've gotten some rain through the winter.

Should I dig it up and pot it, or give it another year, given the change in watering. If I dig it up, can I grow it in a pot? If so, what size? Keep in mind that I'm in southern Louisiana, and fig trees usually get fairly large.

I appreciate any advice that some of you experts can give me. I'm really getting tired of looking at a fig tree that wants to stay 2 feet tall!

TIA,

Janet

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living