SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estherb2

When should I dig out hostas & transfer them to fabric pots?

Esther-B, Zone 7a
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have no idea of when my home is going to sell (I have an absolutely pathetic agent now who I hope to replace soon) and no idea of when I'm going to find a new place to buy down in Baltimore. I hope to accomplish both by fall at the latest. However, I do not intend to leave my precious designer hostas and heuchies here for an indifferent buyer who will not baby them and cherish them as I do. I already purchased a few dozen fabric grow pots months ago to pack my darlings up and take them with me. I will certainly specify in any purchase contract that the hostas and heuchies come with me, as well as a snip of an iris rhizome and my re-seeding dianthus. I will miss my rose bushes, but I can't see digging up those spiny things.

My point is, today I was astonished to find that a lot of my hostababies are PIPPING! So, if I eventually want to take them with me, should I dig the ones in the ground (some are in pots) up NOW and transfer them to the fabric pots before they leaf out? And what kind of soil should I have in the pots? Thanks for some expert advice in advance. Y'all KNOW how I love my H & H's!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County