SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

What have you dehydrated today?

mstywoods
8 years ago

Instead of keeping going with the dehydrator thread thought I'd start a new one for posting what foods folks are drying!

Skybird and I got to talking about drying pineapple in that other thread, and K.Soopers is selling them for $1 each (yea, I meant 'each' not 'per pound' in my post Skybird - lol) right now, so perfect time to try some.

I started some yesterday and think they are just about done today - so all in all, I've had them going for about 18 hrs. (I shut off the dehydrator before going to bed last night, and then started it again this morning). I started them at the recommended 135 degrees yesterday, but today, I lowered the temp to 95 degrees - that's because it seemed to me that they were getting too hot on the outside and started looking kind of brownish, yet still too wet on the inside. So I thought letting them take longer at a lower temp might give me more of the result I was looking for, which is still a bit chewy rather than a chip!

Here's a pic I took just awhile ago:

I think they are really close to being done enough, but this is a bit of an experiment. Don't want them too wet inside, but I don't want them completely dry and crunchy either!

I used one of those pineapple spiral slicers to cut mine. I think the thickness of the slices was ok, appx 1/3 - 1/2 inch thick. Sure is a lot easier than peeling and slicing by hand!!

I've used my old convection one in the past for tomatoes, basil, cranberries and a few other things I'm sure but can't think of right off the top of my head. This is my first use of my new fan powered Nesco dehydrator - I'm really liking it so far!

What is your favorite thing/success stories for dehydrating?

Comments (2)