SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_nguyen6315132

4BR/3BA one story house

girlguineapig
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are a young couple (age 25 and 33), no kids yet in the SF Bay Area. Last year you all helped us with a larger two story floor plan. After we sent the plans to the structural engineer, I started having doubts about everything. Long story short, we stopped the structural engineer (luckily she hadn't even started work) and started working on a new plan.

After one round of revisions we developed this new floor plan that was 1400 sq ft smaller than the old one (it's 3000 sq ft including the garage).

Link to larger version

We didn't really feel completely satisfied with this floor plan but at this point I still had doubts about the whole project and we decided to stop working on it.

It's now almost six months later. We currently live at my FIL's house and rent out the existing house on the lot (that we planned to tear down) for $3500/month, so we're saving a lot of money, but living at my FIL's house is becoming less and less tolerable to me. I really like the idea of just doing a little remodeling on the existing house and moving in. DH doesn't like it and just wants to build a new house. But I don't really feel financially comfortable with building a new house anymore. So, we continue to be stuck living at my FIL's house.

DH thinks I'm exaggerating the financial issues, and my parents think building should be OK so I keep looking at this floor plan. There's some issues but I guess I can't really think of anything I can do to majorly improve it. But, I don't feel excited about it. I don't know if it's the floor plan, I'm just too picky, or I just don't have the energy anymore. And I dread paying the architect even more money. Obviously we can't build a new house if I'm not even enthusiastic at the beginning.

You all are neutral third parties, so what do you think of everything? I've tried to keep this first post relatively short but feel free to ask any questions.

Comments (44)