SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arialvetica

Floorplan review (4BR, 2000 sq ft)

arialvetica
8 years ago

We have been playing around with smaller floorplans for our next home. Here is a floorplan I've been tweaking. I'd like some input on some of the issues I'm not sure how to resolve. Ultimately we'll consult with an architect to make it awesome, but I'd like to come in with a few rough drafts to help us explain our goals. Because we're building smaller, we should have room in the budget for unique built-ins, finishes, etc.

So here are the problems I'm hoping you veterans might have some insight into:

- mudroom / mud closet for family? assuming family+guests enter in roughly the same area of the house -- this will be built in a northern climate and my husband plays hockey so we need a big closet (preferably walk-in) for storing coats and hockey gear)

- spot for guests to take off / put on shoes, hang coats on pegs, etc?

- is front door too far from kitchen for unloading groceries?

- where to store toys / allow some toy clutter? (currently we have a separate toy room off our kitchen that is awesome, but just too much square footage for this potential build)

- where to put the piano? (I play almost daily, 30-90 minutes at a time -- would prefer this be in the main area of the home so I'm not isolated when playing)

- where to set up sewing machine / serger? (I sew infrequently, maybe 30 minutes a week except when doing a large project which could be 4 hours a day---for large projects i can set up on the dining table, but I'd like a spot where I can leave my machines set up for quick projects)

- pantry is too small

- dining area is bigger than necessary (our current dining area is smaller and is sufficient for our needs)

- is there a good place for a fireplace?

- not a big deal, but I have a that is my "reading chair" and I'd love to find a good home for it in the main area of the house

...ignore empty master bath and misc. bedroom closet configurations. That's something I know I'm no good at and am not even bothering to sketch on my own. :)

...also we haven't figured out where the garage would be, since we haven't made a final decision on the lot and all the lots we're looking at are very hilly. The exact position of the house and garage location will depend on how they fit best on the lot.

...stairs will go down to unfinished basement space, not sure how much basement space will be available for actual living area due to the hilly lot options.

...furniture on the floorplan not to scale, just doodles.

I know there are lots of loose ends here, but I'd appreciate your thoughts and patience. ;)

Comments (13)