SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_23749482

Lady of Shalott pruning

User
8 years ago

I've been very happy with David Austin's Lady of Shalott rose but am bewildered by how to prune it. In Seattle we usually prune in February/March. It has been a mild winter, so far. Just planning ahead.

I know to cut off dead wood and inward facing branches but then what? I guess I am just more used to hybrid teas. I really like the fountain shape of this rose bush.

I presume to not cut too much off because it is so young, it did get over 4 ft x 4 ft. by August. Do I need to cut back some canes even if they are healthy? They all look healthy to me. I don't see any dead wood.

I've been looking online for suggestions but that is very confusing....none quite meet the criteria for the Lady of Shalott. One person for a David Austin rose (an older one, forgot the name) said she leaves every little twig on, unless diseased because there will be a bloom on it. That made me think, don't pretend you know what you're doing! Of course, roses are great at growing back, in spite of what I do to them.

Thanks for any help.

PS: I did peg two branches down last year just to see what would happen and laterals came up 15 inches high. Not sure what to do with them now.

Here are some pictures through the year:

Seattlebarbara

Comments (9)