SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbaldauf6112

New Build - Busy Kitchen Layout Help Please!

mbaldauf6112
8 years ago

Hi GW.

We are getting close to starting our build. We close on our land next week and will have lot clearing and electric next week as well. I've posted here in the past and got so much advice and want to thank everyone for your generous time, talent and assistance. What an amazing place for so many!

A little about us - I'm a stay at home homeschool mom to a 15 year DS who has fairly high functioning Autism but will be with us for quite some time. (He will not be graduating at 18 - it will be closer to age 20). I say stay-at-home as if I sit and eat bon-bons all day but who am I kidding... I'm always busy doing something, going somewhere, gardening, caning, making jelly, taking DS to therapy, driving for DH who is legally blind! LOL Our family is 4 - DH, myself, DD and DS. We all enjoy cooking so there are times we're all in the kitchen together. We LOVE to cook and cook most meals at home, as well as bake breads, cakes, etc. We also enjoy having friends over about once a month and in the summer might be more. We can have anywhere from 2-12 extra people. We enjoy grilling and at times have family from Europe here for several weeks at a time.

Our vision is a traditional kitchen with a hint of modern farmhouse. I like the idea of white perimeter with a black or darker island. I loved my siligranit sink in my previous home and if budget allows we'd like a single wall oven with 5 burner 36" gas range. We plan on mostly drawers. There's roughly 32" of counter space on each side of the range.

Several things I have questions about:

1. What do you think about current work zones? There will be a prep sink in the island to allow for prep zone.

2. I prefer clean up to be trash - sink - DW (left to right) but that leaves the trash too far from the prep zone. Is there a way to correct this? I don't know if I'm willing to give up cabinet/drawer space to add a second trash.

3. Could I place a wall oven and small coffee/tea bar on the pantry wall?

4. We currently have 4' aisles between island and other counters? With overhand will this be enough? I'd like to maintain 4 feet between pantry/oven wall and island since that will be an occasional exit door.

5. Speaking of doors - I COULD possibly nix the side door to allow for more kitchen space. That would mean either going out the screen porch or out the back hall to get to the side yard or back yard.

Is there anything you see that might be moved or changed for better efficiency?

Sorry, it's blurry. I will see if I can re-post a better picture. Also, the piano is NOT this large. It fits in the space perfectly.

Our house will face west which has gorgeous lake views.

THANK YOU for your help and advice!!!

Sunny

Comments (3)