SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Fireplace makeover ideas take 2

Tmnca
8 years ago

I had another thread but started a new one for new ideas. Here is our "before" - 1980s fireplace, I painted the accent wall to help blend the color of the ugly tile (it "blends" better IRL) but the time has finally come to give it a makeover since we are renovating our kitchen and bathrooms. We have had the tile removed and will be replacing the old screen doors with new glass doors (see below. Now I need to select tile/stone and whether to have a surround, or trim etc.

We could keep the stained mantel or replace. I've considered white painted and more contemporary/transitional. We will likely paint the wall, no need for tile/stone to match the Mexicana color - the rest of the room is BM Mascarpone a warm white. Our home is leaning toward transitional style and the kitchen will be Ikea Laxarby 9shaker style) black-brown cabinets with fantasy brown quartzite counters. Our furniture is expresso color book cases and a warm-grey-brown color leather sofa.

I also like the idea of removing the raised hearth and putting tile flush with the floor, so that we don't have a head-banging hazard for future children.

here's "before":

these are the glass doors we will have installed:

Here are some inspiration pics I like - thought keeping in mind our house has no fancy trim or mouldings, the baseboards are plain 2.5" type. So we won't want the really fancy craftsman type moulding but something a little simpler. I know these are a tad more traditional than our style, especially the first but I like the general idea.

here is our fireplace now... the old surround was 12" all the way around. The raised hearth "box" could be removed I am sure.

And here are my tile/stone choices. Remember the red paint will be replaced - probably just paint that wall mascarpone as well, but may choose another color.

On the left is a polished cream marble 12x12". It would be simple to install as it would be the right width all the way around and it is pretty inexpensive.

On the hearth is a warm grey stone and on the right it a pretty (but relatively expensive) ceramic tile with warm white limestone type texture and color. It's 12x3" so I guess if we stick to 12" surround the size might be awkward... but I like the texture and color.

here is the ceramic next to the mascarpone wall (this paint always looks creamier in photos than IRL)

and the marble. The grey stone small format I think is too grey and we don't want to change the LR wall color.

And finally, here are 2 surrounds that I kind of like, but not sure if I like it more than our stained mantel - if we stick with the stained mantel do you think we need pencil tile or something?

Thanks for reading!

Comments (20)