SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamara_inthenightfarm

2-Way Fireplace in Great Room: Good Idea or Asking for Trouble?

Hello all! We're in the think-and-sketch phase of designing our forever home. It will sit on 40 hillside acres with 270 degree views that we'd like to take full advantage of in our great room. Our current sketch is of a 23' x 33' vaulted great room with windows on 3 sides. It would flow into a large kitchen with high ceilings.

I'm toying with the idea of dividing the great room with a 2-way gas fireplace. The vision is of a show-stopping feature that would leave nice sightlines from kitchen to views, but also break up the seating areas. (Inspiration photo below.)

What do you think? Great idea? Terrible idea? Sounds good but only if...?

My "paper doll" sketch (below) is an attempt to get a feel for how the layout would work. Do you think it makes sense? Too choppy or cluttered? Too much empty space? Does it bug you that the fireplace is centered with the room, but not with the kitchen island? Thoughts or recommendations are welcome -- absolutely nothing is set in stone at this point.

Things to know: Our style is modern rustic. I prefer architecture that is a bit out of the ordinary -- case in point, our current house is a geodesic dome (photos below to give you the idea of some furniture that will probably come with us). We have pets but no kids and like to entertain groups of 6-8. We hate the TV-over-fireplace look and are okay with not having a TV in the great room at all, though in a perfect world we'd have one that could be watched there but concealed when not in use. However, the windows and overall aesthetic are more important to us than a TV. We plan to live in this home for a very long time, but resale still matters somewhat.

Comments (33)