SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

Gas furnace ventor fan comes on not the furnace

ravencajun Zone 8b TX
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My HVAC guy is having a problem with our gas furnace. The thermostat calls for the furnace to come on. The ventor fan comes on, we can hear it running, sometimes it pulls enough suction to trip the vacuum switch and tell the blower and furnace it's OK to come on and everything works as it should. But many times the ventor motor comes on and just runs and runs and nothing else happens, the furnace doesn't come on. So far he has put in a new vacuum switch part, taken the vent motor apart and cleaned it well. He thought it might be tiny bits of trash getting into the little hose and blocking it so it could not create enough suction to trip the switch. He has encountered this before. Every time he comes over and fiddles with those parts it starts working for a while. Then it goes right back to the vent motor running and running and nothing else happens.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Have you encountered this? The vent motor is running fine, it has a brand new vacuum switch part which he installed to see if it was the culprit. It has not changed the strange behavior.

We had also recently replaced the blower motor because it was getting noisy so that is also new.

When everything goes right the furnace performs exactly as it should.

As example, today it was operating properly, this evening the vent fan comes on and runs for like 30 minutes nothing else happens. I go to the thermostat and turn the heat to off.

Wait for several minutes and turn it on again, vent fan comes on immediately, after waiting for a while with nothing happening, I turned it off again, wait, then back on again, vent fan comes on immediately and then I hear the click and whoosh and the furnace comes on! This is what I have to do, it's very hit and miss. It's driving all of us nuts. Never know what will happen.

Comments (6)