SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Cut my first quilt today - a few problems

8 years ago

I decided on doing a 9 patch lap quilt as my first project after being frightened out of the log cabin for my queen size bed. I ordered a couple of charm packs to really simplify the project.

For the white, I bought some Kona cotton. I had a hard time squaring up the fabric. I ripped it to find the straight grain of the fabric, and it would not line up. (This reminded me of 8th grade Home Ec back in the 60's.) I pulled it across the bias, I ironed it. I pushed it. I poked it. It still wasn't straight. Finally, I just cut it. I cut 5" strips and then cut into 5" squares. Am I taking these online tutorials too literally?

I found that my squares varied by a 1/16 of an inch. Is that common? Do you trim the blocks when they are finished? Or, does it all just work out? Or, do you get better at cutting?

I found my rotary cutter was not consistent. Sometimes, It cut perfectly. Sometimes, it would skip spots. By the end, I began to figure out how to make it work somewhat better. Long cuts side to side worked better than up and down. Short cuts up and down seemed to work pretty well. If I cut slower, it seemed to work better. It's a fiskars cutter. Is it just inexperience or should I try another brand?

Thanks,

bk

Comments (11)