SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Kitchen addition to my 1939 house is finished

DYH
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Finally! It's been a long road to get to today. I worked on unpacking, washing and organizing from 7:30 am until 3:30 pm.

Thermador appliances (paneled dw and fridge)

Pro-Harmony 36" 6 burner dual-fuel range

GE microwave with trim kit

Local custom cabinets

Brazilian "Marble" countertops (quartzite) polished

Porcelain dot backsplash to ceiling on both sides

Shaw's farm sink & Rohl Allia prep sink

Kohler Artifacts pull-down faucets in polished nickel

Hudson Valley 'Waterloo' overhead light

Solid oak floors, site finished, dark walnut

The peninsula overhang is in the original part of the house, as are the pendant lights (Hudson Valley Haverhill)

There were challenges.

1. I was limited to 12x12 due to the lot lines and front setback of the lot.
  2. The 1939 floors aren't level anymore, so I had to use a backsplash that didn't show straight lines (like a subway tile would do). My solution was the dots in white. The reason it's an issue is the peninsula overhang being in the old part of the house.
  3. I couldn't center my sink in the middle of the two windows, so it's center under one window. It doesn't bother me like I thought it would.
  4. This took forever because my contractor/former neighbor is semi-retired and he has one skilled guy to do all the finish work. He custom made the crown moulding, window/door trim, baseboards to match the original house.
  5. I'm still not in the rest of the addition.
  6. I was on my own with this...my downsize since my husband died from brain cancer in 2014.

Comments (69)

• brdrl
    8 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the backsplash. The pastry stand is lovely. It has great character for a new kitchen in an older house.

DYH thanked brdrl
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

It's absolutely gorgeous. Classic and unique. You must be thrilled.

DYH thanked nosoccermom
  • Related Discussions

My finished kitchen and addition

Q

Comments (28)
    linelle, thank you for the comments. As far as the fan noise, I guess I don't notice it. I had the GE Profile which is exactly the same convection oven but the bottom drawer is a warming drawer and not a separate oven. The amount of noise doesn't bother me at all but I do think the fan in the exhaust does bother me more. Maybe its because it is in the microwave. As far as the soft close, they were only factory installed on the drawers. It was extra on doors. My contractor installed them all. No problem for him. All I see is that little grey piece that keeps the door from slamming. I never even notice them. Thanks to everyone for responding. I hope it can help someone else with their planning.
    ...See More

Comments requests on drawings for new addition onto my home

Q

Comments (2)
    Half of the existing patio slab is going to be completely removed because it's badly cracked, including the entire raised area were the hot tub used to be. Any remaining portion will be cut back to accommodate an appropriate footer. Completely new slab with monolithic pour onto of any existing slab to bring everything up to the height of the existing house slab (so there is no step down into the new room) As far as the bathroom goes, there is absolutely no other place to put it but somewhere on that exterior wall (because of the lot layout) No location on that wall is going to have an impact on angles to tap into an existing drain location or to a main line. So if the floor has to be raised to get enough slope, that's what is going to have to be done. We have no issue with it, should it need to be done.
    ...See More

Sierra Guest House Finish Photos!Will my main house ever be done?

Q

Comments (26)
    Thanks Slush! The doors are my favorite too. Aside from the Italian faux finished walls, the doors are the first thing everyone comments on when they walk in the room. The first time we saw them we were blown away! They are solid wood, furniture grade from old-world-doors.com. Made just over the border in Mexico for a US company. Their rep came out to measure and they come prehung with the jam and trim. Thank you everyone. I'm so happy you enjoyed the view. :)
    ...See More

Our new house is finished! My white kitchen...

Q

Comments (112)
    Nini - on your first post, you said you'd do a separate post about honed and polished marble. Pros and cons to both. Have you done that and if not, would you do one or send me an email. We have chosen statuetto white marble for our island and I plan to go with honed (after testing polished). I'd like to hear your experiences. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rjknsf - I plan to have more "warm" elements in the kitchen. This was unpacking and organizing day. When the storm ends and I can go out, I'll be adding a plant by the window. My cobalt blue canisters and utensil holder aren't out, yet.

I need to decide on some sort of window treatment once i have everything set up.

I also have Thermador's blue knobs to use on the range to swap out the stainless ones that came with the range.

Thanks!

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband.

DYH thanked Tmnca
  • namarie
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! You did a great job. And I am so sorry for your loss. My sister passed away a few weeks ago from a glioblastoma in her brain stem. It's a devastating thing to deal with as a family. I hope your new home gives you a clean slate to remember all of your happy memories with your husband.

DYH thanked namarie
  • PRO
    TraceMachine
    8 years ago

Where did you get your countertops? I am looking for non-marble marble looking stone countertops desperately!! Just beautiful

DYH thanked TraceMachine
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Namarie, I'm so sorry for your loss. Glioblastoma multiforme is what my husband had, too. With my husband, there were no symptoms (that he told me about) until the day before going to the ER. There were four inoperable tumors, but chemo, radiation and Avastin shrank those until a new tumor popped up that took over. He lasted 7.5 months from diagnosis.

• tinker1121
    8 years ago

Spectacular!

DYH thanked tinker1121
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracey - my countertops came from Schneider Stone in Asheboro, NC. It took two slabs since I have so many diagonal corners.

• Shelley Graham
    8 years ago

What a beautiful space you've created! Love the colors and especially that backsplash. Congratulations!

DYH thanked Shelley Graham
  • jpmom
    8 years ago

First -- I'm very sorry for your loss.

I am so drawn to your kitchen. I feel like that Pastry Stand could have been an inspiration piece!

The color palette, while all white - doesn't scream white to me. It's peaceful and calm.

What is your hardware?

I'm particularly smitten with your tile. (and that paneled fridge!)

Just beautiful. Makes me want to pull a chair up to that peninsula and have a glass of wine.

DYH thanked jpmom
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, JPmom -- The hardware came from my cabinet maker, and I didn't pay attention to the brand, because they had all the names that were familiar! Stainless bar pulls. This was the third house, third kitchen that the same cabinetmaker has done for me.

The fridge is a Thermador French door with bottom freezer. I originally thought about having the fridge in walnut with the rest of the kitchen white, but I didn't think that would work unless my glass front cabinets didn't have cabinets above. I needed the storage space.

Food is stored to the right of the fridge, but since I unpacked today and everything has been packed up since June and the ice/snow arrived, I couldn't get to the grocers to fill my glass containers. I've not had a kitchen since then, so I'm ready to cook!

• beachem
    8 years ago

It's all gorgeous and beautifully designed. I'm so glad you kept the pastry stand. It's sublime.

DYH thanked beachem
  • oldbat2be
    8 years ago

Genius. This is the white kitchen after which we all lust. Fabulous combination of elements. You were able to create so much interest in an all white space - I'd love to hear more about how you accomplished this/the elements you used to make it work. (Yes, they're all there in plain sight, but still, I'm clueless!)

DYH thanked oldbat2be
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Honestly? I love everything you did. It works beautifully, and looks stunning. My condolences on the loss of your husband.

DYH thanked cpartist
  • scoutfinch72
    8 years ago

It's stunning. Really, just perfect. I love everything about it!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband. We lost my 14 year old nephew to Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma almost 4 years ago. He had no symptoms until he collapsed on the baseball field and then was gone 11 months later.

DYH thanked scoutfinch72
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Scoutfinch72-- I'm so sorry! A child! Brain tumors used to seem so rare. Now, it seems as though many have lost loved ones.

All - I appreciate the kind words. Thank you!

oldbat2be - I chose what I like.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! You should be proud of yourself--I'm sure your husband would be proud of you, too. I hope you can find contentment in your new home and in your life.

DYH thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • westsider40
    8 years ago

Lovely and elegant and comfy. Enjoy.

DYH thanked westsider40
  • cookncarpenter
    8 years ago

I'm usually not a fan of the "all white kitchen" but you pulled it off beautifully, with taste and class! ..and sorry for your loss

DYH thanked cookncarpenter
  • User
    8 years ago

dyhgarden, I am over the moon for your kitchen! The fact that you were limited to the size of your addition, I think, made it more efficient and cozier than so many kitchens I see in new builds. It's just perfection to me.

I would never part with the pastry stand - even if it wasn't totally functional. It's such an unusual and beautiful piece it would make me happy to just look at it every day.

Congratulations on all you've accomplished. I hope you'll post updates as you tweak the kitchen with your finishing touches.

I was aware you'd lost your husband, but not how quickly his illness took him. My deepest condolences on your loss. This is a remarkable thing you've done, creating this new space. I hope you and your family and friends enjoy it.

DYH thanked User
  • romy718
    8 years ago

I jumped right to your pictures - as I usually do - and totally missed the "details." My first thought was "What are those gorgeous countertops?" What a find, they are stunning. You did a perfect balance of windows and glass cabinets. Love your backsplash. Best wishes in your new home. Please keep us updated with the rest of your addition/renovation.

DYH thanked romy718
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

I have to say I'm normally not a fan of penny rounds but I keep coming back to your backsplash because it works so well as a texture that I'm falling in love with penny rounds!

Also what is the glass you chose for your cabinet doors?

DYH thanked cpartist
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Beautiful. Normally a fridge in such a dominant position would bother me but you have paneled it so tastefully. All your choices are tasteful, classic, and your kitchen has a lovely coziness unusual for white kitchens. The pastry shelves are amazing and really cap things off. I'm sure your DH is smiling down at you and sharing your joy.

I hope you are able to get to the store so you can cook up a storm and really enjoy your lovely new space.

DYH thanked funkycamper
  • michoumonster
    8 years ago

what a beautiful kitchen! your backsplash choice is perfect and your pastry stand is divine!

so sorry for your loss. you are truly inspiring with the amazing things you have accomplished in the face of your challenges. hope you will be able to take a break and enjoy your lovely home soon.

DYH thanked michoumonster
  • weezel
    8 years ago

Just beautiful!

DYH thanked weezel
  • Anne
    8 years ago

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Love the pastry stand as well.

DYH thanked Anne
  • amykath
    8 years ago

WOW! It is fantastic! It is so light and bright yet warm as well.

I love the pastry stand. I remember it from one of your former posts. It is funny how something so small can make such an impact. Well done!!!

DYH thanked amykath
  • mgmum
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is amazing! It certainly doesn't look as though you were scrimping on the size. Every detail is perfect!

Sorry for your loss.

DYH thanked mgmum
  • mom2sulu
    8 years ago

Love your kitchen! Ditto on all the comments here--especially how you managed to blend comfort and beauty. Also, the pastry stand is amazing. Leave it out! :)

DYH thanked mom2sulu
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Your comments mean so much to me. I felt I designed this kitchen in a vacuum without anyone's input.

My son and stepson saw it a few weeks ago before completion, and since I taught both to cook, they were glad to see there is space for someone to be at the range, someone at the prep sink and someone on clean-up detail!

Storage:

With all the corners, drawer space is limited, so I have three super susans. My cabinet maker (this is my 3rd kitchen with him) built wood susans, supported by a solid shelf with no central post.

Between the prep sink and range, I have my major pots and pans on a susan. Smaller pots and pans are in the narrow deep drawers flanking the range.

In the susan to the left of the range, I have canned goods. I've always liked to store things in glass jars and canisters, so that's what will be in the glass cabinets to the left of the range.

The shallow drawers beneath the glass food cabinets hold spices in one; pastry making items in one. My KitchenAid mixer is stored to the right of the fridge.

Pantry:

The original 1939 deep, reach-in pantry isn't in the photos. It is in the old kitchen area. It stores bulk items and occasional use items such as party platters, All-Clad slow cooker, large roasting pans.

There is also an original six-foot high shallow spice rack with door in the old kitchen area.

The old kitchen area could be a breakfast room, but I have a navy settee and a large storage ottoman to use there so my grandchildren can hang out and watch tv while I cook.

More storage:

There is another hutch just to the right of the peninsula, through an open doorway, in the new back hallway. It is a 1 foot deep hutch from the old kitchen. It is overflow storage for anything that won't fit in the kitchen or pantry. Right now, I've not had to use it. Once that section is open, I'll update this thread with a photo. I had it painted navy blue.

Microwave area:

In my previous home, my microwave was below the countertop in my large island. Here, it's shoulder height. It's not a true built-in. It's a GE Profile with an optional trim kit ordered online from AJ Madison. My cabinet maker cut the slots to match up with the microwave mount and trim kit before installing the cabinets.

That's a double-trashcan pull-out to the left of the farm sink. It is easily reached from the prep sink, too.

As I've done in the past, my SodaStream and Nespresso are on a tray so I can lift those off the counter to clean. The canisters hold nespresso pods, stevia, and tea bags. I also have French press coffee pots for when I have company. Those are stored above the microwave.

Costs:

My custom cabinets were $22,000 all-in with installation.

My countertops were $4900.

The penny round backsplash (counter to ceiling) was $700, not including installation or epoxy grout. It took two days to install/grout by one person. It took about 3 times the usual grout to do this look.

The appliances were $15,000 with the Thermador 1-2-Free sale. The range hood is also Thermador.

• DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

cpartist - the glass is "watered" so that it looks like water is cascading down.

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and the layout looks wonderful. Love your wall of cabinets with the refrigerator.

• DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Making the fridge the "focal point" was a gamble. But, from a functional standpoint, I wanted to be able to prep and cook while interacting with my guests. Had I put the range over there, I'd have my back to guests.

• Mags438
    8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I love the idea of dots backsplash. I have the same dilemma between the stove and hood. I may have to copy that idea; thanks for sharing your great kitchen.

DYH thanked Mags438
  • User
    8 years ago

Beautiful, calming, and functional. That is a difficult combination to achieve. And, that you were able to accomplish it while the wound of your loss is so fresh. Please post more when you finish adding the blue. I am struggling with how to introduce color to our white kitchen. I wish you peace as you are surrounded by your family in your beautiful space. Nothing like grandchildren to soften the hurt.

DYH thanked User
  • whoopsydaisy
    8 years ago

What is your range, and how did you come to choose it?

• Bunny
    8 years ago

dyhgarden, I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my husband to cancer in 2004 and it took me a lot longer before I was able to make big decisions all on my own. I'm still learning. :)

Your kitchen is truly amazing. I love all the elements, particularly your counters and the pastry stand. It really makes a statement. You've done great things.

DYH thanked Bunny
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lineage -- I'm sorry for your loss.

I lived in our house for a year, but it was 4,000 sf on 4.5 acres. I couldn't maintain it by myself without my husband. I had to hire people to mulch, mow, clean the pool, etc. I also found it difficult to stay there as we had built it in 2005 to be our forever home.

whoopsydaisy - I researched Blue Star, DCS, Wolf, and Thermador. After using Thermador star burners in a cooking class, I decided to go with it. Then, when they had their 1-2-Free sale, I found that Consumer Reports gave their French door fridge and their dishwasher good ratings, Bosch and Thermador are owned by the same company and the appliances are made here in North Carolina. Good service availability. Buying one of the other brands would have added $6000 to my overall appliance costs.

• somersetlass
    8 years ago

Stunning. To do that so soon after your hubby passed is truly a testament as to the woman you are. You sound so caring, I had a mental image of you and your son and stepson all working together in the kitchen chef, commis chef and sous chef! ( or maybe pastry chef to take advantage of that French Patissere stand!). Sorry that you are doing this without him but boy I bet he's proud of you.

DYH thanked somersetlass
  • fldirt
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful…love the French pastry stand! You should be very proud of yourself….

DYH thanked fldirt
  • ILoveRed
    8 years ago

Very nice. Don't you just love that Artifacts faucet. My daughter has it and I lust after it.

I don't check in here very often, so this is the first I've read of this...my heart aches for your loss. Thinking of you during this difficult journey.

DYH thanked ILoveRed
  • cat_mom
    8 years ago

I love your new kitchen! It's beautiful!

(And I am so sorry for your loss)

DYH thanked cat_mom
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ILoveRed - Yes! I adore the Artifacts faucet. The pull-down spray has a "berry soft" setting for washing fragile produce. It also has a wide, strong spray for washing down the sink. Couldn't be happier. Have Artifacts at both sinks.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    8 years ago

@dyhgarden, your kitchen is absolutely perfect. I have to confess that you are the only GW member that I've "followed" because I love every single photo you post. (I haven't quite figured out what "following" does, but I wanted to try to catch anything you posted!) I hope you have many happy memories in this new space.

DYH thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, smalloldhouse_gw -- I started here on GardenWeb in 2004 or 2005 as WonByHerWits (name of a greyhound we had back then) and many here helped me with the home my late husband and I built in 2005. This was the kitchen from my previous home.

I also spent a lot of time on the gardening forums (Cottage, Perennials, Carolina).

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

Your new kitchen is gorgeous. I love the backsplash! I hope it brings you years of joy. And I am so sorry to hear about your husband.

DYH thanked johnsoro25
  • smiling
    8 years ago

dyhgarden, I am so deeply sorry for your loss of your husband, and so deeply moved by your strength to move forward with this spectacular achievement on your own! Your new kitchen is simply gorgeous, welcoming, creative, and looks so functional. The porcelain dot backsplash gives it such a warm texture, and that installation is one of the best I've ever seen. Many you enjoy this space with those who love you!

DYH thanked smiling
  • DYH
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I made it to the grocery today and made a frittata tonight. Love cooking on the range. The dishwasher is so quiet, I can't hear it! Since it has cabinet panels, there's a blue light that shines down on the floor to indicate that it's running. Cool!