SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

Our new house is finished! My white kitchen...

nini804
12 years ago

Hi Gardenweb friends!

You all have been so kind and I have learned so much from this site! I have been off-line the past month as we have been moving in to our new custom home. I joined GW this past winter, after our plans had been finalized by our architect...but I have incorporated so much from here into my finishes! We have a kitchen that is open to our breakfast room and family room, with a small butler's pantry between the kitchen and formal dining. I call the layout a "broken L with an island because I thought the architect was very cleaver to make the "corner" a little office space that also has the door to the pantry in it. This way, there is no "dead corner" in the kitchen. Maybe some people just starting could use this idea! :)

Anyway, here are the details:

Appliances: all KitchenAid, except for the Sharp MW drawer

in the island. Range is 36" dual fuel, with a

griddle.

Cabinets: Mid-Continent, maple painted white, with soft

close drawers and doors. We chose all wood

construction.

Perimeter counters: Honed Carerra marble

Island top: Dark walnut, with a mineral oil finish

Floors: 5" wide white oak, stained 75% jacobean, 24% dark

walnut.

Lighting: Pendants, Quiozel, I think. Breakfast chandy is

Overstock.com!

Things I love so far: 1. Soft close!! Love!! Although we have it on all the drawers in the house, we only did the doors on the kitchen and butler's pantry cabs. Wish we had done it everywhere.

2. KA dishwasher and range...both of these have been wonderful so far, DW is so quiet and cleans really well. Range and oven are very easy to use and have nice, consistant heat. Plus, I think very pretty! :)

3. MW drawer...so awesome, love it to pieces!

4. Under cab lights...never had these before, we have them on a dimmer, they are wonderful.

5. Walnut top...everyone who visits swoons over it...it is a wonderful, warm surface.

Things I DON'T love:

1. Fridge! Counter-depth french door is awful! We had to buy an auxiliary fridge for the garage, and I am contemplating adding a fridge drawer to the island.

2. The distance from the range wall to the island seems a scooch too big, I think it is 48". I could have moved the island a few inches closer to the range.

I will do a seperate post about my experience with honed vs. polished marble (I have polished in the master bath.) There are pros and cons to each, I have found.

Anyway, Nini's kitchen!

Comments (112)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!