SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbr2

Opinions on exterior trim sizes and layouts, show me yours

sarahbr2
8 years ago

More trim questions/opinions:

I tried to draw some trim to scale. In the left gable, there are 3 different sizes of trim/crossheads. (4" sides, 10" top; 5" sides, 12" top, 6" sides, 15" top). Which of those do you like best? (sorry if terminology in the rendering is wrong)

In the right gable there are different combinations of shutters overlapping the trim (which I think is traditional) or shutters beyond trim, and with a sill and no trim board below (I think thats traditional from reading around here) or with a sill and trim board below. I left shutters on some windows and not on some as we are undecided, but we will have them on all the single windows or none of them.

What do you do on the center window above the door? Does it get a sill even though it is non operable?

We aren't going to do shutters or the crossheads on the side and back elevations- would you do 4" trim all around those windows or something with a thicker trim on top (say 4" around and 6" top)? Do we still need sills? We are trying to save some money but we also want it to look decent.

How wide trim do you do around garage doors? Do you match the corner trim or the window trim?

We are hoping to sign the siding guy tomorrow but we have to tell him all of the trim details so trying to make some final decisions. I thought he would guide us but looks like we have to specify everything. Thanks for help and opinions!

Please post pictures of your own trim if you want! I would love to see some pictures

Comments (37)