SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexis717_df

Looking for ideas and opinions please

8 years ago

Friend is redoing an island at the entrance to an apartment complex. Every year he does annuals. Finally, finally he has decided to put in perennials. I'm so glad, cause I gotta tell you I really get tired of helping him plant the same annuals every year. We're in zone 6a/6b, Spokane, Washington. Now I'm primarily a hosta person, but he's not so on board with that. He's looking for foliage color instead of flowers. I've suggested Heuchera or Heucherella, with possibly Hakonechloa grass as a companion. He is primarily interested in the reds and likes the idea of a contrasting color and leaf shape.
The area is roughly 150/175 square feet with paths of river rock. It is pretty much full sun all day. Gets watered regularly by a sprinkler system very early in the morning. The sprinkler schedule is flexible, but usually runs 3 times a week for 30 minutes per day during the cooler temps of spring. Although our summers have been slowly growing warmer, we usually only see temps above 90 for 2-3 weeks during summer. At those times the sprinklers run more often and for longer duration. Now I live maybe 6-7 miles away and have roughly 300+ hosta in my yard, ALL planted in full sun. So I'm not too worried about "shade" plants in his island.
I would love your thoughts on this plan. Please be honest. I'm not very versed in Heuchera. Whatever he plants needs to have colored foliage, grow at a reasonable rate, the three year rule is ok with him but not super slow growers and nothing touchy. If you have other ideas I would love to hear them. We need to have a basic plan here in the next few weeks because I'm sure most of the plants will need to be special ordered.
Thank you, in advance, for any and all input.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!