SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simonhazelgrove

Dwarf Citrus Problems

simonhazelgrove
8 years ago

Hi I'm having issues with my newly planted (around 3 months now) dwarf citrus - mainly the Eureka Lemon but a Valencia Orange & Tahitian Lime to much lesser degrees.

Originally I just had deformed leaves, which I think I've identified as Citrus Leaf Miner. I've been spraying every few weeks with Pest Oil, and it seems to be under control. However websites say I should prune off affected areas, but on my tree this is all the new growth. Should I really prune off all the new growth?

Photo:

Next up is crickets / katydids - they appear to be feasting on the leaves. Websites I've read say to ignore them as they really don't cause significant damage (no mention of any cures). Well, if I did that, I don't think I'd have any leaves left on my trees. I've been removing them by hand but they are small and hard to see, so this isnt very effective. Any ideas on how to permanently get rid of them?

Photo:

Finally, a new problem. I'm getting light green patches in my leaves. As far as I can understand it, it looks like a deficiency of either water or some chemical (zinc, iron, potassium, they all seem to produce similar results). Can anyone identify the problem from this photo:

Photo:

The trees are all saplings and have not yet produced any fruit. They are in raised beds with good draining soil in Brisbane, and are in a sunny spot for most of the midday, and afternoon sun. I was watering them twice a week, but have dropped back to once a week now. I put chicken poo around them about a week after planting them, and spray them with Pest Oil about every 2 weeks.

If anyone can help with these issues I'd appreciate any advice!

Comment

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH