SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
horti2791

ewwmayo, mind clarifying something about your metering experiments?

horti2791
8 years ago

Hi ewwmayo,

Can you expand on your effort to answer "Do moisture meters actually work in gritty mix?" (quoted from one of your great graphic-rich posts from a while back). Or just point me to a thread covering it (that I must have missed).

I've been reading GardenWeb for a couple of years (mostly lurking), and best recollection of past threads can be summarized "they don't really work in gritty, not accurate, so use a dowel."

Kind of curious about moisture metering, as I can never reliably read a dowel in a gritty mix (too clean) - and tend to rely on heft-weight or the can't-overwater aspect.

If I remember those past posts correctly, two kinds of related reasons were usually suggested. 1) gritty mixes hold moisture in and on the (large) particles, rather than in an electrically continuous liquid path between, and 2) a greater variation in "solution" fertilizer salt concentration/conductivity (fertilize one day, water-only another day etc.) in such a soil obscures wetness and dryness (for common meters where more salty measures as more wet).

Don't know whether the bluetooth meter you mention uses EC or maybe dielectric constant/capacitance for moisture.

Thanks.

Comments (5)