SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Re-doing fiberglass tub-shower surround. Liquid Nails? Loctite?

petalique
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

House Projects · More Info

House Projects · More Info

We're regluing the 3-piece tub and shower surround. It was somewhat loose not longer after the builder installed it and used Liquid Nails (with bracing) for the adhesive. Finally, we're going to re-glue it. I've read product reviews for both Liquid Nails tub-shower adhesive and for the Loctite Power Grab tub shower adhesive. Mixed reviews on both at various sites. We will vent the Liq Nails or other before caulking the top, but it appears that the set-up time can be days longer than the specs say on the packaging. One commenter claimed that the Loctite product _burned through_ the surround. (I wonder if he/she had the tub-shower product and not some other adhesive from Loctite.)

I will try to post some images as I have several questions.

1. The builder sort of squiggled the product onto the wall or surround, and even though he braced it, I suspect that it didn't adhere well because the adhesive wasn't smeared in a broader manner (see photos).

2. At the intersection/overlap of the center section to the curved side pieces, he used some of that foamy double sided tape. Didn't look like that worked all that well either. Any ideas of what we can use or should we just duplicate what he did (it sort of stuck so so for a year or two; ugh)?

3. With this set up, design, we have to be *very* careful not to let the shower water splash outside and hit the plastered blue board. Even though it's painted, splashed water can hit it, soften it, and then drip down onto the woodwork (the 'return' of the mop board). It can also go to the floor and lift up the sheet vinyl for the flooring. Lousy design, but I've seen other shower & tubs with this set up and problem. Any ideas?

I'd prefer not to use one of those shower door set ups as it seems they always look messy and the track gets cruddy. Also, if I needed to wash something like a car, dog or large horse, it will be in the way.

Thanks for any suggestions or input from similar experiences.

Comment