SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

I've cut the rabbet for the cove "shoe" on the front edge instead of the rear where it goes. The far end has a wrong rabbet and the pictured end has none and needs one. This has to be fixed before my customer notices. This is similar to an animal cruelty video in that once seen, it cannot be "unwatched". The patch will be highly inconspicuous especially if you never know it's there.

This must not be my day. The worst thing that can happen is a router bearing failure. I didn't listen to myself say "Hey, why not check that screw holding the bearing in place?" I've kissed the Karran Edge series stainless sink; fortunately, no tongue.

Here is the nylon bearing on the straight cutter that abdicated at 20,000 rpm. The sink has been adhered in place; the rough cut was made with a jigsaw. I don't have the nerve to plow with a plunge.

Note: I had a bearing failure on a solid surface sink last week. No problem. Sure, it scuffed the sink, but I sanded it out. No such option with stainless; one serious deviation and you're screwed.

After the jig saw rough-out and the straight cutter, pictured here, the profile bit has to be set "just right". Too light and you leave adhesive and have lots of sanding, too deep and you're getting sparks from carbide routing stainless. I got a few sparks, but no problem.

I believe confession is good for the soul.

Comments (10)