SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

Does "premium" cost for taller windows make sense?

lite1
8 years ago

I have prices on 3 direct set picture windows that are standard Loewen window sizes. Does it make sense that taller window costs substantially more per SF of frame size? I am surprised that the "premium" for taller windows is so much.

Dimensions shown are rounded frame sizes, but SF calculation was done precisely to 1/16"

#1 3/0 4/11 14.535SF cost $468 $32.20/SF
#2 3/0 6/11 20.371SF cost $808.60 $39.69/SF
#3 4/0 4/11 19.380SF cost $544.05 $28.07/SF

Based on frame size SF, #2 is 40.2% larger. If it were priced per SF like #1 then the cost would be $656, but costs a premium of 23.3% more at $808.60!!

These are all standard metal clad exterior, mixed grain douglas fir interior, with standard double pane glazing.

I have far fewer window costs from Marvin of comparable windows, and in general all are more expensive than Loewen; however the "premium" for taller windows is less.

My only speculation for the large differences in Loewen per SF pricing relates to possibility of wasted glass from their supplier Cardinal Glass. By this I mean that I assume Cardinal makes certain large sized sheets, which are then cut into smaller sizes; and that for 6/11 size there is more wastage. I guess the same might be true for the DF wood casing.

Any help in understanding this is appreciated; and especially if you know that this same "premium" is there for other Mfg. such as Kolbe, Marvin.

I am not going to re-design many of my windows, but in some cases I can modify dimensions without much change to visuals, and potentially save a great deal of money. I am building a modern house with the typical extensive glazing, but my estimated >$60k price tag has me floored.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment