SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
12crumbles

Do exhaust hood vents have two dampers?

12crumbles
8 years ago

I'm looking at an uninstalled 8 inch damper. The vent hood is a wall mount horizontal exhaust straight through the wall. The assembly pictures show a damper in the collar that comes off the hood. A damper was supplied, but there is nothing in the assembly instructions about the piece being placed in the collar (other than the pictures). There are cushion-y pieces on the damper at 3 and 9 o'clock with opposing pieces on tabs on the collar. There are holes at 12 and 6 o'clock, though they are filled with flexible silicone (?) so they could be easily penetrated if the spring ends on the damper are to go through them. The external mounting cover, purchased separately, has a damper installed.

The install instructions were clearly written, step-by-step with pictures. This damper piece was provide by the manufacturer. My confusion is because there is no mention in the instructions, yet that damper is in the pictures.

Taking the vent hood down to add the damper would be awful. Probably anyone who has installed these knows the answer. I have good reason to think that the person who put this together has
never worked on a hood vent (the motor had to be flipped from vertical
to horizontal), so I don't want to rely on what he may say. Please help.

Comments (5)