SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texascatherder

Is a vent hood or exhaust mandatory?

TexasCatherder
11 years ago

First I want to thank everyone on GW - I've been reading ever since I bought my first house last year (major fixer-upper), and GW has been a gold mine of information.

My house is a 1975 ranch-style on a working cattle ranch. The kitchen is a kind of L-shaped galley, separated from the living/dining by a 20-foot-long wall. I'm working on plans to take out the wall (yes, load-bearing, unfortunately) and have an island there instead with my range. The ceiling is standard 8-foot high.

Here is my question. Since I have nice big windows in the family room and I want to be able to see out while I'm cooking, is a vent hood really required? I'm already going to have to have a 12" header across the ceiling and some support posts, so I don't want to feel closed in. I am not a big cook - mostly microwave, as some chilis and stews - no fried stuff or anything like that. I can't find any information about whether exhaust hoods are required or not. All I have now is the exhaust in the microwave over the range and I never use it.

Thanks for any help / advice.

Comments (45)

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think its absolutely necessary if you have gas burners on a cooktop or range. I had an OTR MW over my gas range and it was not vented outside. If I used the gas burners, the room would heat up to 100 degrees very quickly, even in February.

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

Consider a downdraft system, I had one in a previous home, wasn't as good as a range hood, but if you don't cook much.....

• TexasCatherder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the comments! I forgot to add that my kitchen is all electric, and the house is built on a slab, so running an exhaust from a downdraft to the outside would be costly.

If an exhaust is recommended, does anyone know of a "flat" one that could just go in the ceiling, like an air conditioner air return, without the huge hood?

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

The difficulty with having a hood flat to the ceiling would be its distance from the cooking surface; the air flow would have to be very powerful (and probably very loud) to be effective. Could you rearrange your layout to have the range on a wall instead? As I understand it, it is much less expensive to install venting when the range is on a wall. I know it is less visually intrusive that way, at any rate.

I didn't have decent venting for years (I also cook on electric) but now that I do, I will never go back. Mine is not even a big expensive hood; it's one of the best they had at the big box store but it's not nearly as powerful as the ones usually mentioned on this forum. Still, it has made such a difference in my comfort when cooking that I wouldn't want to do without it. In fact, and I don't know if this would affect your decision at all, I would not want to buy a house that had an unvented range on an island.

If you post your layout here, people can give opinions on good locations for your range etc.

• Buehl
    11 years ago

The need for a range hood is primarily dependent on how and what you cook - not the fuel you use to cook with. Range hoods are intended to capture and/or exhaust to the outside grease, smoke, steam, fumes, odors, etc.

Without a range hood, all those things are spread throughout your home and land on cabinets, furniture, walls, ceilings, etc. Grease and steam, in particular, make a surface prime for attracting dust, pollens, etc. that then are caught and stick. Over time this "gunk" builds up on your cabinets, walls, ceilings, etc.

Do you ever fry (including stir-fry) or brown meat? If so, you need a range hood. Do you grill inside? If so, then you need a very, very good range hood with serious cfms and sizing.

The ideal location for a range or cooktop is against a wall where the wall and surrounding cabinets help in the capture of the grease, smoke, steam, fumes, odors, etc. Ideally, a hood would be at least 24" deep and 6" wider than the cooking surface (so a 30" range or cooktop would have a 36" hood). If it's against a wall with cabinets abutting the hood, you can usually get away with a hood the same width (30" range/30" wide hood) - unless you grill or do a lot of greasy or smokey cooking.

If your range or cooktop is in an island or on a peninsula, then your hood should be at least 6" wider and, preferably, 27" deep with strong cfms. The extra size & strength are needed due to the fact that in an open area there are more and stronger air currents that will grab smoke, grease, etc. & start dispersing them much more quickly, so you need a bigger and stronger hood to compensate.

Downdrafts do not work well...even the telescoping kind. The only time a downdraft has a chance of doing anything useful is if the pot/pan is right up against it and is several inches shorter than the fan. Downdrafts are working against gravity, so they would need to be very, very strong to be able to work well, and they aren't...

Regarding a range in an island...is there a reason it will be there? How big is your island? Is it big enough so you will have at least 24" on each side of the range and 24" behind it if you have seating (18" to 24" with no seating....24" far preferable)?

Why do you need so much space? For work space, landing space, and, most importantly IMO, safety - you should have a safety zone around your range to protect visitors and passersby from splattering grease, billowing steam, etc. - especially those sitting at the island.

If the view is so great, then I would much rather have my Prep Zone in the island with a prep sink to enjoy the view - and you don't need a hood for that! Over 70% of the time spent and work done in the kitchen is prepping, so I'd want the "prime" work location to be my Prep Zone. The least amount of time spent in the kitchen is spent cooking - only 10%. Think about it, how much time do you really spend on a day-to-day basis standing at your range stirring or staring at the food cooking? You usually stir or check food and move on to other tasks. (Cleaning up is how the other 20% of the time is spent - and for some people it's even less.)

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

" buehl (My Page) on Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 1:21
    The need for a range hood is primarily dependent on how and what you cook - not the fuel you use to cook with."

Do you really have this misconception about the products of combustion and the health hazards of asphyxiation?

Other than the obvious need to vent the products of combustion, when fuel is used, resale would be another to consider.
    If the header that is used will be a dropped, then a soffit or any number of architectural appliances are available.

Or, be prepared to negotiate.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

This weekend I scrubbed gunk off cabinets walls and ceiling of a rental property. It only has a recirculating fan. You could not see the junk on the cabinets but you could feel it. The walls and ceiling you could see. Not fun. Get an exhaust fan.

• carybk
    11 years ago

I would really put one in. Cuts down on cleaning and odors in fabric hugely over time. Resale. There are so many kind of cooking that create fumes you want to capture; give yourself room in case you decide to start with one or more.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

An effective hood is the number one item on my new kitchen wish list. I would spend $$$$ on the hood and $ on a stove. I cringe every time I see a remodeled kitchen without a hood and hope the occupiers are windfallen fruitarians or ramen noodle eaters. Get a hood!

• huango
    11 years ago

Oh, please put one in.

The house I purchase doesn't have one; the range is on the peninsula. CRAZY!
    But I bought the house anyway because I knew we would renovated the kitchen.
    BUT if we weren't planning to renovate the kitchen, I would not have bought the house. I can't live with no venting out, because I cook a lot of fish, bacon, garlic and oil, and I don't like it dispersing all through my house absorbing into my Ethan Allen furniture, etc.

Please show us your layout.

Amanda

• TexasCatherder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I hadn't thought of the resale issue [smacks forehead]. And I wasn't aware of the issues with downdraft vents. So, I will work on rearranging the floorplan to put the cooktop by a wall.

I've attached a floorplan - hope it shows up!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• TexasCatherder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some photos as well.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• TexasCatherder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another photo:

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

I like your kitchen! You have a very nice space to play with. Would you like the layout gurus to suggest some other arrangements for you? If so, I have a few questions. Do you want to keep the breakfast and desk areas as breakfast and desk areas, or can they become part of the kitchen; can the exterior window and door be moved; and can the little peninsula go? We have a similar arrangement (long rooms divided by a central wall) and we chose to leave our dividing wall in place. I can see why you want to take it out, but in our case it would have been just more than we wanted to deal with (it is not only holding up our roof but there is a brick fireplace in the middle of it too) -- and I actually did not want the kitchen open to the whole house and visible from the front door. That is only my opinion of course and not what most people want, so don't let me throw a wrench into your plans. But I will say that if you want to see out the LR windows while you cook, I think it would make good sense to have the sink on the island looking that direction and the cooktop on the wall behind you. You will spend more time prepping and cleaning than standing at your cooktop, especially with the way you describe your cooking style.

I think the layout people here could have a lot of fun with your space but do let us know how you feel about that and what is set in stone at this point.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Do you really have this misconception about the products of combustion and the health hazards of asphyxiation?"

Do you really have this exaggerated belief that simply cooking on a fuel burning stove is going to kill you?

Unless you try to use an oven to heat the house, a gas stove does not generate enough of anything to be that dangerous.

There is a reason that forced ventilation is NOT required in the building codes.

In a residential kitchen the stove is not used often enough or long enough to be a significant hazard, especially in the less than 'tight' houses that the vast majority of folks live in.

The venting is not a life safety issue but a convenience issue.
    Minimizing smells and damage from cooking products like grease and odor.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

I love the existing kitchen. It's got a great 60's retro vibe.

With you taking down this wall, and having two dining spaces, would you be open to expanding the kitchen into the breakfast area? I think that would give you the best return for function here. Also, what about adding a prep sink somewhere here to help with functionality? Putting a prep sink on the island would mean that for the 70% of the time you spend in the kitchen prepping, you could face the living room and it's windows, rather than a wall.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

texasCatherder, we too struggled with the Island hood issue. We have a small kitchen w 8ft ceilings, and didn't want the hood to dominate...less is more for that item in this space.

Our codes do require adequate ventilation, but I wanted that as well. So I went hunting for a hood that was more sleek. Couldn't afford some of what I found, but this model, with its glass hood and adjustable body was just what we were looking for. It doesn't obstruct view, and the SS fits with a metal theme we've got going on. Once it was adjusted to the right height, suddenly the hood was a nice design accent rather than an intrusion.

I have just started using the kitchen as we're not done yet...hood has been connected as of this past weekend. Our induction stove invites lots of high heat cooking and I see the grease build up that otherwise would be going on my walls and ceiling.

Good luck picking.

{{gwi:1822776}}

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

Actually some jurisdictions do require kitchen venting. Even in all-electric homes. Modern home construction dictates very tight skins to optimize energy usage. But indoor air quality then becomes an issue, and cooking is the single largest generator of airborne particulate matter and humidity (although not the only one). Poor air quality is very much a contributing health hazard, particularly for those with breathing issues.

• TexasCatherder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the comments! I am now convinced that a proper hood is essential, so will start researching that.

NorthCarolina: Thank you for the kind words about the kitchen. There is, as you noted, quite a bit of space to work with. To answer your questions, I would love some suggestions. I am happy with the sink placement in front of its 6-foot-wide window. As far as windows go, they aren't moveable because the exterior stone is native limestone, hand-set by a mason, and it would be impossible to match. Other than those two things, I'm willing to consider anything!

Green Designs: Yes, I think the whole space needs to be considered "kitchen" and look integrated. I really like that proposed layout! I had not thought of moving the pantry to the other end of the space, but it makes sense.
    On the other hand, if I keep space for an eat-in kitchen, I'd have 3 eating areas - the kitchen, the bar, and the dining end of the family room. Is that overkill? Do people want this type of flexibility?

AnnaA: What a pretty kitchen! I didn't even notice your hood - I saw the refrigerator first, and then the hood. And I love your windows!

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

"brickeyee (My Page) on Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 11:22

Do you really have this exaggerated belief that simply cooking on a fuel burning stove is going to kill you?

Unless you try to use an oven to heat the house, a gas stove does not generate enough of anything to be that dangerous.

There is a reason that forced ventilation is NOT required in the building codes.

In a residential kitchen the stove is not used often enough or long enough to be a significant hazard, especially in the less than 'tight' houses that the vast majority of folks live in.

The venting is not a life safety issue but a convenience issue."

Are you presently in the process of attempting to abolish the requirement for CO 2 detectors, unless of course. air quality does concern you.

"TexasCatherder"

There are also a number of architectural elements which can enhance your presently planned layout.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Snooyb: I am not aware of any CO2 detector, nor any requirement for one.

Oh, are you confusing carbon dioxide with carbon monoxide? I didn't think so, because your initial post referred to asphyxiation, which CO2 could bring about (although it would take a lot of burnt fuel!). Now I am not so sure.

Are you presently in the process of trying to introduce a requirement for forced ventilation?

• catlover5
    11 years ago

My kitchen has none but I am adding one by my choice although the plumber and carpenter said it's not necessary. I live in the kitchen and the house. When I boil a small pot of water to make iced tea, I get condensation on the window and door and even inside the dish cab. From a small pot of water! When I cook onions or burn the bacon, the entire house (it's quite small) reeks and I actually have a swinging door to the kitchen so it can be closed off.

Kitchen is very tiny, stove could not go on outside wall. We thought we could vent through attic floor to side of house but the joists run the wrong way so we are working on a Plan B. He said don't worry, he'll make it happen.

I'm getting ventilation in my tiny kitchen, one way or the other!

• User
    11 years ago

No family needs 3 eating spaces. Either convert the breakfast area to kitchen, or convert the dining area to kitchen. With the jog in the wall for the laundry room, I think it makes more sense to convert the breakfast area to kitchen area. It allows the person in the kitchen to enjoy the fireplace and the whole area to work as a whole.

You could also just expand the pantry out instead of moving it, but that would mean moving the sink, and since you are already spending some bucks to take down such a large loadbearing wall, I think moving the pantry would be a better idea. It's just studs and drywall. Then reusing the alcove for the fridge helps to hide it's depth and it can look more built in without the expense of a built in.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Love your kitchen! I don't have an island hood, but I moved the stove across the room to to able to vent the grease, smoke, and cooking odors to the outside. It's so much better than a recirculating hood that just deposits the gunk right back on the upper cabinets.

OT, I've read that the real danger with CO2 is that it's heavier than oxygen (think massive clouds of CO2 being released from fissures in the earth's crust), driving out all the O2 in the immediate vicinity. LOL, Angie, that would be a lot of burnt fuel!

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

: Angie_DIY (My Page) on Thu, May 3, 12 at 13:44
    Snooyb: I am not aware of any CO2 detector, nor any requirement for one."

Neither am I, I was getting close to being late for an appointment.

"Are you presently in the process of trying to introduce a requirement for forced ventilation?"

No, because I probably wouldn't live that long. I've been at this in excess of 35yrs. and work in municipalities that have requirements for a ventilation appliance, when fuel is used in the food preparations appliance, that the ventilation appliance is 6" wider than the appliance beneath it.
    This stems from when upper cabinets were 12" above the counter and the ventilation was often a screened hole in the ceiling.

You've seen statements in this thred stating that there is an absence of a requirement for a ventilation appliance in the building code.

The implication is that this is universal.

This is not only false, it displayes a lack of knowledge of the process by which building codes are adopted.

Ever hosted a dinner party, in the winter, spent most of the day preparing the food, with the doors and windows closed, no venting appliance and found your guests seem to become lethargic early in the evening?

Could it be the carbs, or maybe the air quality?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Having lived in places that don't Allow fan-driven external ventilation under certain conditions (yes in the US), I would say that I would never do without it despite the fact that we do not cook at very high heat and have pan-fried in oil maybe once in 5 years.

Despite insistence to the contrary, whenever I stay the weekend (or sometimes for a long evening) with some people who do not have kitchen ventilation, my clothes stink like old cooking smells when I open my suitcase. A house does trap a lot of odors, people who say they don't have just acclimated to their own.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

For the record, I am very much in favor of ventilation. I have lived the first 40-some years (closer to 50!) of my life in houses with natural gas appliances and no ventilation. I lived to tell about it, but cannot wait to cook in a kitchen that has an exhausted rangehood.

In the following, I am not taking a position. I am going to present some relevant facts for our consideration. (Channeling Davidro1 here! ;-)

A cubic foot of natural gas has an energy content of 1020 BTU. Thus, when you turn on your oven (~20,000 BTU/hr) and two burners (another ~20,000 BTU/hr), you are introducing about 40 cf/hr of natural gas. Let's say you bake potatoes and fry things on medium heat on two burners for an hour. (Nevermind if your oven turns off, we are approximating.) This introduces 40 cf of natural gas into your home.

Natural gas is mostly methane (CH4). Each methane molecule ties up two O2 molecules in the reaction CH4 + 2 O2 -> CO2 + 2 H2O. Thus, your 40 cf of methane eliminates about 80 cf of breathable oxygen.

If your house is hermetically sealed and has 1200 sf. and 8' ceilings, that equals 9600 cf. But most of that air is nitrogen. Only ~21% is oxygen. So your sealed, small house contains about 2016 cf of O2. Cooking for an hour used up 80 cf of it. This reduces the O2 content of the air from 21% to 20.2%. At sea level, you need about 18% O atmosphere to live normally. (It isn't so much the percentage that is important, but the total amount. At higher altitudes, where the density is lower, you need a higher percentage.)

Another interesting, relevant fact is to consider what makes us feel the urge to breathe. It isn't a lack of oxygen in our bodies, but rather an excess of CO2. Thus, it seems to me (and this is just my own speculation) that CO2 is the least effective possible asphyxiant of any substance. If you put me in a room containing 85% nitrogen and 15% oxygen, I wouldn't notice it until I became dizzy, lightheaded, euphoric, and then passed out. If you instead put me in a room with 75% nitrogen, 10% CO2, and 15% oxygen, this is just as bad as far as lack of oxygen is concerned. However, I would notice it: I would be gasping for breath to try to get rid of the excess CO2 in my blood.

In any event, I think we are all in agreement that ventilation is desirable from a smell and grease perspective.

When someone on this forum says "it is not in the building code," I (and, I like to think others) interpret that as shorthand for "it is not in the model building code that most jurisdictions have adopted as their baseline code, which may have been modified by the local AHJ." I am sure Brickeyee knows how this works.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

{{gwi:1628138}}

{{gwi:1822777}}

This is what we did, we have no overhead hood and have an exterior mount exhaust. It works great!

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

"Angie_DIY (My Page) on Fri, May 4, 12 at 2:46

When someone on this forum says "it is not in the building code," I (and, I like to think others) interpret that as shorthand for "it is not in the model building code that most jurisdictions have adopted as their baseline code,"

So, in your estimation, when a state (an AHJ, another blanket generalization) adopts a building standard and it filters down through the countys, municipalities and townships, (all AHJ) all having the right to adopt amendments making it more stringent, never less, by a date certain, and/or to reject others amendments which apply to particular conditions which may or may not exist within their community, that the process is general knowledge.Really!

"which may have been modified by the local AHJ."

And how many people know that the senior building official is the senior fire official. An AHJ.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

TexasCatherder, thanks. Our GC is just now finishing up making custom window framing in kitchen/RR/LR open space, pulling all things together.

Let us know what you ultimately do. I am always curious how people with 8ft ceilings manage it all.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"CO 2 detectors"

Have you ever seen or purchased a CO2 detector?

Do you know of ANY place that requires CO2 detectors?

Or are you confused on this also and mean CO (carbon monoxide) detectors?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

OT but I have been reading your name as Texas Catheter all along and wondered how you came up with the name. Maybe too much CO2 :P

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Look, I don't think everyone knows the details. What I think they know is that (a) each locale may have a different code, and (b) these are all somehow related to "the" code (i.e., the model code, even if they don't know the process). I concede that most people do not know the ICC from the FCC, that is, they likely do not know what "the" code is, where it comes from, who maintains it, by what process it gets modified on the local level, how closely their locale follows the model code, who their AHJ is, etc.

Yes, I agree that the code is not universal, but if someone (a knowledgable someone, in this case) refers to "the building codes," what can it refer to? It can only logically refer to either the specific code in question or to the model code. From context, the person giving advice was not speaking about the OP's local code, but rather discussing general principles; ergo, we infer that he meant the model code.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Pal, LOL.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Soonby,

This gnawed at me over lunch. Why are we having a tense dialog over something where there is little disagreement? Then it hit me: I am straining to respond to your posts civilly. Yet, your posts, at least your initial two, were very uncivil. It is hard for me to stay focussed on the facts of the question and not devolve into uncivil posts. Let me dial this down and take a look at this cooly.

I gather that indoor air quality is something you feel very strongly about. And further, you believe that combustion of fuels has a significant negative effect on indoor air quality. These things are to your credit, and redound well to you. I further gather that you react passionately to statements minimizing the importance of measures that improve indoor air quality.

However, it seems to me, you could have expressed this passion in a much more constructive fashion. Rather than say Do you really have this misconception about the products of combustion and the health hazards of asphyxiation?
    Other than the obvious need to vent the products of combustion, when fuel is used,...

You could have said: Buehl, I think I have to disagree with you regarding whether the fuel is important or not. Burning fuel inside the home creates combustion products blah blah blah...

Frankly, this rankled me when I read it. Because I believe that it is arguable that burning natural gas to cook with in your unventilated home does not pose a significant risk, I was tempted to counter your statement even though I agree that venting is important. But, I resisted the temptation to do so. Importantly, I also could not engage in a discussion on the issues you presented, so we could examine them and all learn from that discussion.

Then Brickeyee responded to your post in the same tone that you responded to Buehl's. And, escalating, you responded in a kind of hostile non-sequitur by asking if he is taking affirmative steps to roll back some of the safeguards that we do have.

Now I entered the fray. For me, it was a mixture of good intentions and poor ones: I wanted to present the difference between CO and CO2, which many confuse. But I also wanted to respond to incivility with some more incivility, but keeping the punches above the belt, so to speak.

I think the discussion gets better from here, hewing more closely on your part and mine to the issues. But the subtext is there.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you (and everyone else) could do better to spread your respective beliefs about indoor air quality by posting civil, respectful comments.

(Oh, I see that since I started this post, things have gone downhill a bit. C'mon ladies and gents, let's discuss this rationally and civilly.)

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

I'd like to add my (civil) 2 cents: TexasCatherder has a good question, and there are many right answers here.

- Do you "need" a kitchen range vent? Yes, in most jurisdictions using international building code, some kind of kitchen ventilation is required. If you don't want it, don't put it in. But it may haunt you upon inspection at resale of the home.

- No, few jurisdictions require a big ole' "range hood" over the range. In my community, it just needs to be some kind of vent that can circulate the right number of CFMs for the space. For example, a friend recently renovated her kitchen; she didn't want a big hood over her range in the island; and according to code, she went with a small wall-vent on the other side of the room on an exterior wall. That's enough for the "needs" of code.

- But yes, like many have noted, a range hood does a better job of capturing grease and moisture than a wall vent. I'll bet my friend's lovely white kitchen wall gets a grimy film around that wall vent in a year or so.

- Besides grease and water vapor, yes, gas-fueled heat sources produce toxins. It's not enough to kill or annoy most people, but the cumulative effects of the toxins isn't good, and those who are sensitive to allergies may suffer, and it's generally not a good idea to burn stuff (including chicken or toast) without ventilation.

- Ventilation is important for indoor air quality and the structural integrity of the home. One thing that we recently became aware of is the need for ventilation just to get rid of moisture. If you have a well-sealed and insulated home, every-day water vapor from cooking, cleaning, bathrooms, laundry, etc. can build up and not escape the house. It can cause condensation inside walls and windows, which can lead to mold, which is a major indoor air quality issue in our part of the country. Additionally, although it doesn't seem logical at first, it can lead to structural problems. Air in a home circulates from colder regions to warmer regions, and the moist air goes with it. There's a photo in a an old-house-renovation book we have that shows rotting roof rafters in an attic: Rotting not from a leaky roof, but because of long-term water standing in a basement and crawl-space! It was three floors away -- how could that be? Air circulation moves the moisture up.

- Anyhow, it sounds like our dear OP TexasCatherder got the point that ventilation is important. So maybe we can help her now focus on where to put it? Rather than debating the pros and cons of ventilation, perhaps we could start a new thread to help her with layout? She's going to have a beautiful kitchen, and folks here are great at taking the cook's priorities and giving suggestions for layout to help reach those goals.

• Buehl
    11 years ago

Snoonyb...you misinterpreted my post. My point was that the need for a hood is not dependent on the fuel used. I.e., just because you are using electric (radiant or induction), it does not mean you don't need decent ventilation.

I agree - there are some byproducts when burning with gas and I would want to get rid of them as well, but it's not a massive health hazard and not the primary (or only) driving force behind ventilation of a cooktop/range.

Let's try to get back on-topic for the sake of TexasCatherder (if s/he hasn't written us all off by now) or anyone else wondering about ventilation needs!

Gr8Day...how does that downdraft work for medium-to-tall height pots/pans on the back burners and any size pot/pan on the front and middle burners?

When we rented for a week in Florida, the home we rented had a Dacor gas cooktop and Dacor downdraft that was in the middle - b/w the left and right burners. Anyway, when I used it, I found that if the top of the pan was below the bottom of the fan part of the down draft, it was OK...not great, but OK. However, if the pan was as tall as or taller than the downdraft, it didn't work at all. Supposedly, it was one of the better downdrafts on the market.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Thank you, Miz. You summarized well, IMHO.

Just seeking clarity on something. Where you wrote: from colder regions to warmer regions,
    did you mean from warmer regions to colder ones? (Of course, it circulates both ways, but I believe it is the latter that is germane to your later point.)

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

" buehl"

I may have misinterpreted the "intent" of your statement, but I'm not a mind reader. So I take, speak and write phrases in the context of the statements, as presented.

"Angie"

I don't do politically correct. What I say and write are the same as if I were there in person, and I have no hidden agenda.
    Civility, is a matter of perception. As and example, I'm told I'm developing a bald spot. Because of the location, so for the few times when I look in a mirror
    I can't see it. Ergo, it's someone else's problem.
    I also find the practice of "assuming" the a generality will automatically result in the same conclusion by others, is a crass presumption that because you said it must be right and it's beneath your dignity to be expected to offer a detailed presentation.
    It's why I refrain from the practice, and respond to them, in the manner I do.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

My mistake. I thought I had detected, in your post about asphyxiation, some concern for the welfare of others. My presumption was crass.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Forget code for a moment ( I have personal issues with money making schemes). In many other countries there is no forced exhaust. People just place the cooktop under an open window.

In the US, with airtight,closed homes, it would be unthinkable to not have an exhaust! The house would develop a nasty stench after a while.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

buehl re: pots fitting on the stove. I have had huge skillets on the back burners and it's never been a problem. Gosh, I never even thought about it as it's never been a concern. I like it because it takes the steam, smoke, odors right into the vent at the point of escape and it doesn't have to rise up a long way to a hood. It's so strong it's like it vacuums the steam right into it at close range. We have a large exterior mounted fan that is out by the A/C units mounted on the house. I had to wrestle my builder to the ground to get him to do it but he did. I have drawers below the cooktop and they simply notched them out to fit them around the small duct underneath but when we put the drawers in we would not have had to even do that. ... That was one thing I did right getting that done the way it is one of the few things, ha ha.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

{{gwi:1667024}}

Here are some photos of how the drawers are notched for the ducting that leads outside. I love having the drawers handy right under the cooktop. The Diva apron was a promotional item (just so you don't think I'm a Diva, lol and the horse pot holder was a gift from my horsey lover mom. I love them, too!).

• TexasCatherder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my, I leave for a couple days and a war broke out! I did not mean to stir up a hornet's nest...

Back to my vent hood question and setting aside all the other discussions, I'm going to move forward with GreenDesign's suggestion to move the cooktop and hood to wall next to the sink/dishwasher. I will start a new post asking for suggestions / recommendations on more detailed layouts when I get good measurements of the space.

• PRO
    ProHoods
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What an interesting discussion! Even though this thread was rather long ago, we thought we would give our insight on the matter for those of you who end up here with the same questions.

The good news is that there has been an increasing amount of additional research, data, and studies on this topic since 2012 when this thread was initially started. We understand that the topic of kitchen ventilation can be very confusing. However, the good news is that now, more of this information is available to read online with only a little bit of digging.

This includes valid research and studies from Ivy league Universities. This also includes documented fieldwork and tests completed by scientists who have conducted studies on indoor air quality. We have found this recent data to be very important and very crucial to educate ourselves and our customers with.

Many people have felt confused about what exactly is required, vs. what is suggested for kitchen ventilation. For those of you that would like some more information regarding this, and to know what toxic chemicals exactly are produced from cooking, I would recommend reading 9 Range Hood Safety Facts You Should Know About.

This article is super informative, and if you use your stove at all, it wouldn't be a bad idea to read it.

If anyone has any questions regarding range hoods, please do feel free to reach out. Considering that this is our business model, we would hope we can help get some questions answered for those who would like some more insight.

You can email us at support@prolinerangehoods.com or you can simply respond to this thread and we will do our best to get back to you.