SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
selfdestruct

Temporary Chain Link Fence for Garden

selfdestruct
8 years ago

Does anyone have any thoughts as to using temporary chain link fencing to fence a garden on vacant land? We are preparing to build a house (Massachusetts) in the future and want to get the garden going. We want to put raised beds inside and start figuring out how to grow our food supply. However we may want to move or expand the fence as we gain experience so do not want to invest in permanent footings until we know exact locations of things.

Current thoughts 30'x30' to enclose 6 raised beds with 2 entry/exit gates

Using 8' height x 10' wide temporary chain link fencing

Use of chain link to reduce hassle of hammering posts in (extremely rocky soil) and stretching and tensioning things. Have plenty of rocks to help anchor.

Goals:

1. Keep deer out, food in

2. Be able to move the fence with little effort (with the help of myself, wife and gravity) and no machinery. Each 8x10 panel weights ~70 lbs so I suspect I should be able to drag panels around if needed.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if 10' height or 12' height temporary chain link fences exist -- current research shows only 8' height available -- guessing possible safety hazard to go any higher due to topple hazard.

2. Is 8' high enough? -- I am thinking some of these deer can easily clear 8' jumping -- possible secondary fence needed to confuse them as research shows they have a depth perception issue and can either jump high or far but not both.

3. Does chain link fence limit light too much for plants?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Thank you

Comments (4)