SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdrkmf

High-rise Dwellers: Did you encounter these ventilation issues?

bdrkmf
8 years ago

Hi all - I'm directing this question to those who live in high-rise buildings.

We are in early stages of a large condo renovation in a 37-story building. We're working with an architect, but have not yet engaged a GC. We are trying to finalize the kitchen appliance wish list, including a ventilation hood.

Here's the challenge: Our building uses a continuous exhaust system in the kitchens and baths, which I believe is connected to a remote blower on the roof. There are vents in each of my bathrooms that use this ongoing exhaust, but the previous owners chose not to access it in the kitchen and drywalled over the duct. We will be able to tap into this existing external exhaust in the kitchen (which is the good news), but we will not be able to supplement it with a blower or fan in a vent hood. In addition, the building engineer is not able to tell us what to expect in terms of CFM/ exhaust power.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? If so, how did you end up configuring your vent hood/appliance (e.g. purchased housing, no motor, no fans, limited filtering, etc.)? Did this issue factor into your cooktop decision (e.g. the # of BTUs, etc.)? Anything you would have done differently?

I'm familiar with the many threads that discuss the various ventilation types. I'm really hoping to hear from someone who had to work around an existing system like this and how you approached it.

Many thanks for any input!

Comments (12)