SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistral9999

High-rise condo odor problem

mistral9999
16 years ago

I live in a condo on the 27th floor of a 28-story high-rise building. I have a heat pump located in a closet in the apartment. Hot and cold water is supplied to the unit by the pipes that run vertically through each apartment on each line. The heat pump gets the supply air from the plenum (the space between the structural ceiling and the drop-down ceiling) and returns it through a single return vent to the same plenum. This plenum is not shared by other apartments. The hallway is also a separate system.

In the last couple of weeks, I have been getting an odor (not too unpleasant) that irritates my lungs and makes me cough. It's not a musty odor, more like a chemical or druglike odor. It gets concentrated in the A/C closet (when the A/C is off) and then gets distributed around when the A/C is on. It's intermittent, and not everyone can smell it for some reason.

Couple of things:

- When it's windy outside or when the hallway is positively pressured (when I open the front door, air comes into the apartment), the smell is much more strong. (This can be just a coincidence, of course.)

- A/C unit is new, clean, and definitely not the source of the smell. There are no leaks in the A/C closet.

- 3M Filtrete Maximum Allergen Filter can't stop the odor. I tried different combination of filters, and the only time I was somewhat successful was when I used "Odor Ban" Carbon Pleated filter with "Ammonia lock" filter together (puts too much stress on the heat pump of course).

- I'm not quite familiar with how the plenum for my apartment is connected to outside air, but I assume the air is supplied and returned by the compressors on the roof. Our building engineer says all the compressors seem to be working fine. There is no construction going on in the building. No toxic substances around. Hallway air is clean.

- There are elevator shafts behind the apartment, but our engineer says they can't be the source of the odor because they are isolated.

- We are pretty certain the source of the odor is not in my apartment (or plenum). It is leaking into my plenum from somewhere else. It can come from other apartments, but no one else seems to be having this problem.

Any ideas? Can this be an air flow issue in the building? (I have been living in the building for 10 years; this is the first time this has been happening.) Anything I or the engineer can check or test? Should I get outside help (consultant, etc.)? A friend of mine suggested the fire department, but that seems too much...

Thanks,

Matt

Comments (13)