SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janetbaker76

One Person Cold, Other Units Warm

janetbaker76
8 years ago

This is an old story, my headline. I got elected president of our HOA over her and other residents being cold for so long, and when I got the key to the boiler room, I allowed our setting to go one degree higher. That seemed to work--people actually had to turn the heat down sometimes. But now cold weather has hit us, our first real blast, and she was at my door. "It's 68 in my apartment and I'm too cold!" (She's 84.)
It's hot water heat, not steam. The old president says he had a furnace guy out last winter, who found nothing wrong. But no one ever saw that report, and the old president was not fond of this particular woman (that's life in the real HOA) so maybe he actually didn't have anyone in. Her thermostat has been changed twice, so that's probably not it (no manual and no name on the unit so I couldn't look at the settings, but they were simple, just up and down). She's on the top floor, and there's no roof insulation, nor were the windows caulked, according to some original residents (with dementia). But she swears the other woman who lives in an identical top floor unit is warm (I can't check this, the woman only speaks Polish; I can't even explain why I'd like to take the temperature in her unit). I'm reluctant to call a furnace guy without doing any homework, they cost so much money and we're all retired! Could someone tell me some troubleshooting? I don't think hot water systems are bled. When I touch the pipe going to her apartment, it somehow feels cooler than the other pipes (which were scalding hot). I would be so grateful for any advice. What should I do first?

Comments (9)