SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walrus_gw

Cold freezer, Warm refrigerator; Whirlpool

13 years ago

Whirlpool EB21DK bottom freezer refrigerator, 14 years old, freezer is fine but refrigerator is warm.

I removed the panel on the back wall of the freezer and thawed the frozen over coil. Been doing that every three years or so when the refrigerator gets warm, and itÂs always been good to go. Typically thereÂs a frost blockage in the upper right corner where the duct to the refrigerator is. It might be that the kids left the door ajar and it frosted over; we'll never know. But it was an easy fix.

But now, I defrosted it and the frost returned in a few days. I was able to test the electrical load with a "killawatt" device; it draws 210 watts when running and 680 watts when in defrost cycle. The defrost timer is working. Currently have both the freezer and the refrigerator at the coldest settings and the humidity heater switch is on. I can see the refrigerator damper plate moving when changing the temp setting on the refrigerator.

Even with the coils behind the freezer free of frost, the refrigerator barely reached a desirable temperature. I should add that the mullion area seems frozen throughout. When I defrosted the coil, we could feel the ceiling of the freezer was frozen and it took a long time until it was thawed, or warm to the touch. Both fans are working (one behind freezer panel blowing to the refrigerator and the other by the condenser).

What should I look for?

Comments (13)