SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shinyalloy_5

warm cold warm germination

shinyalloy_5
14 years ago

I was wondering what advice and experiences all of you may have had with this process. I know I didn't get any germination out of my hellebores last year and I think skipping this process may have had some thing to do with it, as was suggested in an earlier post about failures to try again.

This year I have a few varieties of seeds that should have periods of warm cold warm for germination (most of this info I found at Tom clothiers site). I've already wintersown some without regard/knowledge of the warm period requirement. I understand ideally these seeds should have been started earlier as nature intended and for some immediately upon harvest but as I received most in trades recently that was not really an option. I have others that I have placed in plastic baggies with moist vermiculite and set atop my dresser for their period of warm and labeled with the approx. date I should begin the cold period.

I have a couple questions regarding warm/cold/warm stratification. First of all should I bring back inside the jugs that haven't had their period of warm yet?

Is moist vermiculite in a baggie a satisfactory method for warm stratifying? (are their other methods anyone can suggest?)

When the warm period is over do I just place the vermiculite seed and all on the surface of potting soil and treat as regular wintersown seeds from that point on, or do I move the baggies to the fridge and wait for warmer weather outside for the second warm period?

If it helps the varieties I've already placed outside are...

Gentian

Jacob's Ladder

monks hood

Inside I have...

Black cohosh

Geranium 'Bill Wallis'

Hellebore-Helleborus foetidus

Japanese anemone

Left to sow...

Eryngium-sea holly

soapwort

and possibly others on the way (discovered seeds swaps this winter)

Meadow Rue

Gladiolus

viola (I know some varieties don't need this but it's Penny sunrise and I don't know what it actually requires as this is my first time growing it)

MARY

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH