SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
historian79

Is it a hazard to have uppers greater than 13" around a gas range?

Danielle Gottwig
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So, I was re-reviewing details related to our kitchen layout - we have not bought cabinets yet - and realized a detail I had earlier missed.

Our gas range manual specifies one (just one) configuration of upper cabinets near the range. That specification is:

-The vent hood and and cabinet housing it must a minimum of 30" above the range.

-Upper cabinets adjacent to the range must not intrude over the 30" span above the appliance (but they can run right up that point; this is the only scenario pictured in the specs);

-Upper cabinets adjacent to the range be a minimum of 18" above the counter and must not exceed 13" in depth.

My planned layout mimics the layout given in the specifications, except for two differences: the adjacent cabinets will be 20" north of the counter (so more than the minimum height specified; that's fine), and my chosen wall cabinets (Ikea) only come in 15" depth. The specs given 13" as the maximum for the cabinet depth.

Now worried and also curious, I compared my GE manual to that of some other ranges; the specs I just repeated are also given the manuals for ranges from LG and Whirlpool. I contacted GE in order to verify that I was interpreting their diagram correctly and to ask, "If the uppers are 15" deep, how far do they need to move away from the range in order for the installation to be approved?" From that conversation, it appeared that GE cannot tell me this.

The GE representative did send me a paragraph that explains what heat tolerances the cabinets need to have in order for them to work properly around the appliance and not delaminate. So far as I can tell, the creepy takeaway of that paragraph was, "GE promises this appliance and the specifications we provide are going to work with most cabinets, but in our experience some cabinets can't take the heat, and that's not our problem - make sure to check with your distributor about whether the cabinet finish is appropriate." That is all fine and good (if a little alarming). But it doesn't answer my question.

I am curious what folks make of the specification. It's not clear to me why the extra two inches should matter - except that it must relate to surface area near the heat source.

Assuming it does matter - I think I am stuck trusting them that it matters - my best solution is probably to keep my layout exactly how it is, but to cut down the 15" ikea cabinets so that they match the 13" specification. But I am curious, and I am going to post the question here because it seems like a question someone else will share, suppose I wanted 15" deep cabinets (the trend industry-wide is to deep upper cabinets, is it not?). Is there a known rule or guideline for how far to move them "up" or "right-left" from a gas range to ensure that the cabinets are protected and there is no fire hazard?

Comments (18)